Dec 26, 2010

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey MadFloyd,

My own 12+ years owning CJ has been terrific. I have owned 3 previous pieces of CJ and all sold in perfect condition with no repairs. I now have the CJ GAT and am enjoying it. As for Ed, I have gotten to know him quite well, and he has been terrific and superbly responsive. I have also received resopnses back from Lew Johnson quickly before as well. I know another GAT owner who has been an even longer CJ owner than I and has owned Prem 8s, ART 1, 3 and now GAT...and i believe he too has a high regard for CJ.

Speak with Jack Tozzi at Spearit Sound...yes, they are CJ dealer so 'biased'...but Jack has been around a long time and has always spoken his mind to me.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Anybody having reliability issues with CJ gear?

I saw this on audiogon http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1344219260&&&/Conrad-Johnson-dedicated-fansite

I've head four problems in 20 years + owning cj gear.

1. A resistor went in an eight year old MV75A1. Hell eight year old KSA50 and 100s went too.
2. There was an initial problem with the Teflon caps in the ART. For some reason, these caps failed at 500 hrs due to a manufacturing defect beyond cj's control. They promptly handled the problem for everyone I knew.
3. My cat threw up unbeknowst on my TEA1bc and the power supply blew up. My bad.
4. My MV125 had a bad power transformer due to a manufacturing/winding defect.

Zero problems with my ART or GAT.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles -- how's the C-J thing working out? Been a little while now ....

If you're thinking that I'm going to sell them, nope! :)

Just really handle the ML S-Xs like no other amps that I've had. Just effortless.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hey MadFloyd,

My own 12+ years owning CJ has been terrific. I have owned 3 previous pieces of CJ and all sold in perfect condition with no repairs. I now have the CJ GAT and am enjoying it. As for Ed, I have gotten to know him quite well, and he has been terrific and superbly responsive. I have also received resopnses back from Lew Johnson quickly before as well. I know another GAT owner who has been an even longer CJ owner than I and has owned Prem 8s, ART 1, 3 and now GAT...and i believe he too has a high regard for CJ.

Speak with Jack Tozzi at Spearit Sound...yes, they are CJ dealer so 'biased'...but Jack has been around a long time and has always spoken his mind to me.

Good to hear.

I will see Jack at 10am tomorrow morning as a matter of fact!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Nah, just curious. Still interested in the brand. Wondering if I should jump to the top of the heap -- or if there is still a lot on offer if you come in mid-line (ET5+LP125).

I would think about the ARTsa if power isn't an issue with your speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good to hear.

I will see Jack at 10am tomorrow morning as a matter of fact!

Fantastic!!! Please tell Jack i send him my best regards. I have bought 3 nice pieces of CJ from him over the years. He is in a rare class of experience, honesty and customer service.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Speaking of CJ...

I have a recapped Premier One, 6550 version that is the most ballsy full and rich sounding amplifier I've heard. The detail is very strong and punches through the stage like Mohammad Ali. Also, I have a place in my heart for the Premier 10 linestage but I would not recommend together- too much of a good thing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Speaking of CJ...

I have a recapped Premier One, 6550 version that is the most ballsy full and rich sounding amplifier I've heard. The detail is very strong and punches through the stage like Mohammad Ali. Also, I have a place in my heart for the Premier 10 linestage but I would not recommend together- too much of a good thing.

Very cool. I believe 'Turntable' has Premier 8s recapped with CJ Teflon capacitors. Great stuff. Never heard...definitely will someday.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Art

JV (TAS #218) reviewed ART with 6550 tubes but cj web site states, ART comes with KT120's...So, have they replaced 6550 with the KT120 or is this some kind of upgrade or what?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
JV (TAS #218) reviewed ART with 6550 tubes but cj web site states, ART comes with KT120's...So, have they replaced 6550 with the KT120 or is this some kind of upgrade or what?

Actually both. They've replaced the 6550s and feel the KT120 is a worthwhile upgrade. And it's a wash price wise.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You made me feel guilty - I have now taken the conrad johnson MV125 out of the closet and it is playing wonderfully with the Aida's. These old amplifiers are more colored than current equipment, but have an extraordinary liveliness in the midrange zones. And yes, Mep, biasing of the individual tubes is a child affair - just turn the pot anticlockwise until the red LED turns off! ;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You made me feel guilty - I have now taken the conrad johnson MV125 out of the closet and it is playing wonderfully with the Aida's. These old amplifiers are more colored than current equipment, but have an extraordinary liveliness in the midrange zones. And yes, Mep, biasing of the individual tubes is a child affair - just turn the pot anticlockwise until the red LED turns off! ;)

Micro-I know some tube amps are super-easy to bias. I have owned some. I have had everything from the super-easy to the super-absurd. I think my favorite was the Quicksilver V4 amps. I could bias all 8 tubes in less than two minutes easy-probably closer to one minute for both amps.

I think if you updated the coupling caps in the MV-125 it would sound like a ‘current’ tube amp vice tube gear from yesteryear. CJ is still proud of those output transformers they used in the MV-125.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Micro-I know some tube amps are super-easy to bias. I have owned some. I have had everything from the super-easy to the super-absurd. I think my favorite was the Quicksilver V4 amps. I could bias all 8 tubes in less than two minutes easy-probably closer to one minute for both amps.

I think if you updated the coupling caps in the MV-125 it would sound like a ‘current’ tube amp vice tube gear from yesteryear. CJ is still proud of those output transformers they used in the MV-125.

I have not done it myself...but know others who have...changing capacitors to latest CJ Teflons make a big positive difference by all accounts.

bgiliberti

Mar 28, 2012
I have not done it myself...but know others who have...changing capacitors to latest CJ Teflons make a big positive difference by all accounts.
Just be prepared for Teflon break-in hell, which is at least 200-400 hours. Worth it, but you must have faith. Although, I would caution that Teflons do change the sound, and if you like the old sound, I would listen to some Teflon "new sound" CJ first. For example, I would not modify my MF-80 (even if it could be done), because I like the mellow sound of the poly caps.on it. OTOH, I love my CJ Classic SE, which has a few Teflons under the hood.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just be prepared for Teflon break-in hell, which is at least 200-400 hours. Worth it, but you must have faith. Although, I would caution that Teflons do change the sound, and if you like the old sound, I would listen to some Teflon "new sound" CJ first. For example, I would not modify my MF-80 (even if it could be done), because I like the mellow sound of the poly caps.on it. OTOH, I love my CJ Classic SE, which has a few Teflons under the hood.

Yes...GAT was the same. But it is definitely worth it! ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing