cheap arse Tuesdsay

rce

Jan 18, 2011
Perth, Western Australia
My current 2 channel system

1. JBL LS80 - full range towers: Aus $3200 display model
2. 2 x Nuforce ref 18 mono blocks: A$4500
3. Wadia 121 DAC: A$1470
4. Cables: USB 2.0 Nuforce A$45 - Neotech silver speaker wire, 2 x 2.5M A$60 - XLR 2 x 3.0m neutrik A$35
5. Power filtering: Pro audio SP 4 x 4: A$220

Total current value: around A$9K
This system sounds better - more natural/transparent/musical than some $100K+ systems I've heard!

WTF?? Yep, that's a fair reaction. So how is this possible?
am I smarter than the next audio enthusiast? No, not by any stretch
have I found some esoteric secret the rest of you are not privy too? No
have I just been a complete 'fluke arse' and assembled a 1 in a million system from a synergy point of view - nah, don't think so (though I must say my component's do match very well in my space)

So what then? Listening space people, listening space!! A dedicated purpose built room with proper inbuilt as well as add room treatments - a vaulted ceiling - acoustic rated perforated Gyprock walls, 2 layers x 13mm - 100% wool wall to wall carpet with high grade acoustic rated underlay - dedicated 240V 3 phase power line to my man cave.
The extra over cost to set up room properly as opposed to your average HT room: approx. A$4K

Long story short: stop spending countless thousands on constant/incessant 'upgrades' and fix ya room FIRST
I guarantee, you will be pleasantly surprised :D

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
While I don't disagree with you about fixing your room first (there are exceptions), it is likely easy to do when you take the view that $9,000 is a Frugal investment, but I suppose that's all relative.

rce

Jan 18, 2011
Perth, Western Australia
While I don't disagree with you about fixing your room first (there are exceptions), it is likely easy to do when you take the view that $9,000 is a Frugal investment, but I suppose that's all relative.

John, $9K at this level of performance is a frugal investment...believe me. After 20yrs of chasing 'wind' the penny finally dropped
speakers 1st - room (close) 2nd - dac 3rd etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing