CES Claim: Hi-Res Audio is the fastest growing category in music. True or BS?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Looks like CES is holding a high res music seminar.

https://www.cesweb.org/Conference/Conference-Tracks/High-Resolution-Audio

They claim that Hi-Res Audio is the fastest growing category in music. Any truth to this, or is this just marketing BS? I thought regular consumers don't care about sound quality, and whose ears "toss out" and ignore a lot of "irrelevant" information that audiophileys happen to go nuts for. Even CD is overkill for them. If you look at the happenings in the market over the past 15 years, that is certainly the case.

Furthermore, I thought vinyl was the hottest thing. Or maybe it's because the vinyl guys frequently post any and all industry statistics showing improved record sales they can find????

Regardless, seems like an interesting set of presenters: A dude from Ford Motor company(????), Chesky (the hdtracks dude), reps from various industry groups, as well as major music studios.

I wonder if these guys live in the real world or is this just an exercise in hype / wishful thinking?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Looks like CES is holding a high res music seminar.

https://www.cesweb.org/Conference/Conference-Tracks/High-Resolution-Audio

They claim that Hi-Res Audio is the fastest growing category in music. Any truth to this, or is this just marketing BS? I thought regular consumers don't care about sound quality, and whose ears "toss out" and ignore a lot of "irrelevant" information that audiophileys happen to go nuts for. Even CD is overkill for them. If you look at the happenings in the market over the past 15 years, that is certainly the case.

Furthermore, I thought vinyl was the hottest thing. Or maybe it's because the vinyl guys frequently post any and all industry statistics showing improved record sales they can find????

Regardless, seems like an interesting set of presenters: A dude from Ford Motor company(????), Chesky (the hdtracks dude), reps from various industry groups, as well as major music studios.

I wonder if these guys live in the real world or is this just an exercise in hype / wishful thinking?

That Hi-Res Audio is the fastest growing category in music, while regular consumers don't care about sound quality, are not necessarily contradictory notions. Just to use some made-up numbers as an example, to go from 0.005 % to 0.015% of overall market is a large growth increase, but still pathetic in the broader picture.

There's no reason for anyone to get their hopes up -- really, don't even bother. Remember Sony's 2013 promises to "open up their hi-res vaults"? Still waiting, with popcorn in my hand. Actually, I am not wasting my time with waiting, and don't eat popcorn either, rather I listen to some of my cherished Redbook CDs each night.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That statement is by DEG. DEG is a PR front front for the content industry. So I would not take anything they say seriously in general. Here though, I suspect they speak the truth. High res is a growing category in a sea of declining sectors.

CEA which is the PR front for hardware industry is also championing High-res. This bodes well with more investment in the category. Better not look a gift horse in the mouth :).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing