CES 2016: Dali Speakers, Rega DAC and Amplifier, Melco Server

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
i-7d5fNvm-XL.jpg

Hey, hey, hey! Some nice sound in this suite. Warm with wide soundstage.

i-CCDxG8x.jpg

i-NzkX8V8.jpg

The "trick" here was what they call "hybrid tweeter" except it is not a hybrid :). They use a combination of a ribbon and soft dome tweeter without a crossover (?). They let the ribbon handle the upper range (from 14 Khz) including the region that makes my dog happy in ultrasonics. Since the tweeter doesn't have to go as high it is larger and so can handle more power.

They use "SMC" magnets which is made up of magnetic particles that are electrically coated. This allows one to have a magnet that is not electrically conductive and said to remove the hysteresis from the voice coil. And any warts you may have on the back of your hand if you got them without touching any frogs. A company had developed this technology and approached them to use it and took them a while to manufacture them affordably.

And affordable they are: $3,800 for a pair.

They did not toe in the speakers and likely that contributed to the wide soundstage.

i-8Lb6CJc.jpg

Have a soft spot for Melco servers:
i-k8dbqsW.jpg

Rega DAC:
i-c8q9trX.jpg

Rega Amp (Elex-R?)
i-wQj43qh.jpg

Amir,

Any reason why you have a soft spot for the Melco servers? From what I read, they are just glorified NAS units, bult with "audiophile grade materials"...

Oh it is just personal. Japanese company that is always polite and nice when I talk to them. Sorry I was not clear.

I do appreciate them using special firmware in their SSDs to reduce noise though. I don't know if they do but they have gone the extra mile there.

Ah, OK... So you're saying a level of irrational choice is involved in here? :D

Just kidding... I read a bit about them, and honestly couldn't see the benefit, at their price point. But I'd sure love to audition one!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing