CD/SACD Recommendation

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
I currently have an oppo BDP 105 completely upgraded by rick schultz from evs. I love this player and in my opinion the mods done by rick schultz are a big upgrade from the stock unit.

Although I love the player i recently upgraded all my components and now I am looking to upgrade the source. I really want something that would be significantly better than my modified oppo and would really appreciate some good recommendations.

It is very important that the player is good for regular cd's and SACD and

So, what you guys recommend? I do not want to spend more than US$ 25K and does not necessarily need to be a new equipment.

Thanks in advance

Ash

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I currently have an oppo BDP 105 completely upgraded by rick schultz from evs. I love this player and in my opinion the mods done by rick schultz are a big upgrade from the stock unit.

Although I love the player i recently upgraded all my components and now I am looking to upgrade the source. I really want something that would be significantly better than my modified oppo and would really appreciate some good recommendations.

It is very important that the player is good for regular cd's and SACD and

So, what you guys recommend? I do not want to spend more than US$ 25K and does not necessarily need to be a new equipment.

Thanks in advance

Ash

I think your best bet is to get a very good DSD capable DAC (there are many, many choices) and get an Oppo 103 with the latest vanity 103HD board. This board will output native DSD digitally over coax, which you run into your DAC. If you decide to buy say the new Berkeley reference DAC (which does not do DSD), you simply let the Vanity board do proprietary DSD to PCM conversion at 176/24. Either way, you'll get absolute SOTA SACD playback. For redbook, you can use the same Oppo / Vanity 103HD as a transport, but better option is to get a very good music server and run it into your DAC, most likely over USB. For server there are again many options from turnkey packaged to prebuild PC based (CAPS 3.0) to DiY.

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
My friend I am looking for a cd/SACD old style player, because i have many SACD discs and rebook cd's (which i do not want to transfer to any hd)
I really want something on the top of the line type of equipment that would do justice to my new constellation altair 2 preamp

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The Esoteric K-01X

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
My friend I am looking for a cd/SACD old style player, because i have many SACD discs and rebook cd's (which i do not want to transfer to any hd)
I really want something on the top of the line type of equipment that would do justice to my new constellation altair 2 preamp

If you're big into SACD and want a traditional one box player, the contenders would be Playback Designs MPS-5, and EMM labs XDS1 CD/SACD. Esoteric and Krell have some top notch integrated players as well.

In this situation what I do is draw up a shortlist of highly acclaimed players, and wait for a killer deal to show up on one of them on audiogon and scoop it up. Underlying assumption is they are all good players and differences are marginal, so economics prevail. Buying a particular player based on advise you get here is as much as a crapshoot as just getting the first top notch player that shows up at a good price and take your chances.

Then if you want to move in another direction you sell the player with minimal or no loss. This approach is of course heresy for the purveyors of true perfection on this forum, but it has worked miracles for me listening to a lot of stuff at minimal cost of ownership. It simply makes no sense to me to buy a $25K player that will be worth $15K a year from now (at best).

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
I do not leave in the US. If I buy a K-01 how can I upgrade for the X version?

Will it be a significant upgrade compared to my mod oppo?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I do not leave in the US. If I buy a K-01 how can I upgrade for the X version?

Will it be a significant upgrade compared to my mod oppo?

Check with Esoteric. But don't get hung up on this particular "killer deal". For exmaple. there is a $21,000K ACCUPHASE DP-600 listed for $9,000 (located in London). Can't go wrong with either one. For every audiophile that vouches for the Esoteric, you can find one that swears by the Accuphase. These $25K players show up for 40% of retail all the time. Do your homework and make your move.... Never buy a $25K digital piece that is being replaced by server based systems all over the place for more than 50% of retail (preferably 40% tops).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Then you should look no further than the Playback Designs MPS-5. I've had mine for years and wouldn't trade it in for anything. They are still being upgraded and the company stands behind their product!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
FWIW,

There's a used MPS-5 on Audiogon (posted today) for just under $10K.

Ipad, could be your lucky day. :D

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
Do you think that the MPS-5 or the K-01 or the EMM would be a big upgrade compared to my modified op, or just a subtle one

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
From a modded Oppo to a $25K player? Makes no sense to me.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..legit thread or chain yanking?..hmmm

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
the thing is that so many people told me that if i move up the difference will be very subtle, and i am only willing to spend that much money if it really going to be a significant upgrade

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
the thing is that so many people told me that if i move up the difference will be very subtle, and i am only willing to spend that much money if it really going to be a significant upgrade

Keep the Oppo and get a DAC as has been suggested. Send me half of the funds you saved and we'll call it even.

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
Even with a separate DAC, my problem is that I listen a lot to SACD and can not send from the oppo to the external DAC through digital cable, so the external DAC would be of no utility when you listen to SACD. Thats why i am looking for a better player

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Keep the Oppo and get a DAC as has been suggested. Send me half of the funds you saved and we'll call it even.

I concur, having done exactly that myself for years...Oppo 83 and Zanden DAC. That was a super-tough combo to beat, and it was only thru an extremely attractive opportunity that i got the full Zanden set, which i am happy i did. nevertheless, agree.

Even with a separate DAC, my problem is that I listen a lot to SACD and can not send from the oppo to the external DAC through digital cable, so the external DAC would be of no utility when you listen to SACD. Thats why i am looking for a better player

You've got the budget, ipadasher, to get something stupendous (and still have change in your pocket leftover for cables, isolation, etc)...i have PM'd you more details and personal experiences as my two cents.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think your best bet is to get a very good DSD capable DAC (there are many, many choices) and get an Oppo 103 with the latest vanity 103HD board. This board will output native DSD digitally over coax, which you run into your DAC...

No, it won't. Check p. 64 of the owners manual.

But in any case, although I don't own one, every time I've heard the Playback Designs it has sounded like music in every sense. And it is easily upgradeable, as Bruce points out.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

If you heard the MPS 5 and think its redbook is as awesome as you wish...that is an elegant solution because its SACD is consistently among the best from nearly every person i have read or spoken to. If not, i actually think the mod'd oppo does pretty remarkable SACD though i honestly have not investigated...just heard. And then you've got a great, exceedingly cost-effective base from which you can then output to a redbook/hi-res (DVD-A, etc) DAC you love. MSB, Stahl-Tek, DCS, etc.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
One person's "subtle" may be another's "night and day"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing