Cassandra Wilson Blue Light til Dawn

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I wouldn't put in the the class of New Moon Daughter :)

Being recorded at Sears Sound means it was recorded all tube. I like the PP records but they do have a "sound." Of course that varies since they use at least three mastering engineers, in this case Ron McMaster at Capitol. Also interesting to see who she thanks including Michael Cuscuna and Producer Craig Street.

"He has worked with artists such as Norah Jones, k. d. lang, Rebekka Bakken, Cassandra Wilson, Charlie Sexton, Meshell Ndegeocello, Joe Henry, John Legend, The Manhattan Transfer, Chris Whitley and others. Come Away with Me, which he produced for Norah Jones, won a Grammy for album of the year in 2002."

http://www.artistdirect.com/artist/credits/craig-street/498257

Of course, I think I first remember him from his work with Holly Cole.

My question is this the first time it was released on LP? I don't have an earlier copy and don't see it around either. Her other albums like NMD fetch a hefty used price.
Why is NMD so crazy expensive on vinyl?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Which album and is she on vinyl?

Can't speak for the vinyl, left that world 20 years ago, but I am partial to her first
two albums. But all 4 really are special. Artistry of the highest order.

Her version of Miles's Afro Blue, and original Blue Rose from Salt, her first album
just stop me in my tracks.

To be honest, strictly speaking for my self, I find Cassandra Wilson a bit studied, precious, and
arty on occasion. Thats just me!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Can't speak for the vinyl, left that world 20 years ago, but I am partial to her first

Her version of Miles's Afro Blue, and original Blue Rose from Salt, her first album

To be honest, strictly speaking for my self, I find Cassandra Wilson a bit studied, precious, and
Not disagreeing re her style. I liked the sonics, and what led me to buy the record was the mix of material. I have the same issue with Patricia Barber- Modern Cool is just too.
Me, I'm more an Etta James type guy. Like blues. Like standards, too. There's a woman- a whole lotta woman- we catch occasionally here in NY- she's out of Red Hook, Brooklyn and used to play up at Levon's alot- Alexis P Suter. She's a gospel singer, but mixes it up with hard driven rock. Her rendition of "It Ain't My Cross To Bear" is powerful and she doesn't need a microphone. She belts it out, old school. It would probably be worth making a list of female vocalists who can really move you.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Not disagreeing re her style. I liked the sonics, and what led me to buy the record was the mix of material. I have the same issue with Patricia Barber- Modern Cool is just too.
Me, I'm more an Etta James type guy. Like blues. Like standards, too. There's a woman- a whole lotta woman- we catch occasionally here in NY- she's out of Red Hook, Brooklyn and used to play up at Levon's alot- Alexis P Suter. She's a gospel singer, but mixes it up with hard driven rock. Her rendition of "It Ain't My Cross To Bear" is powerful and she doesn't need a microphone. She belts it out, old school. It would probably be worth making a list of female vocalists who can really move you.

I'm the same way, but I also have a guilty pleasure side..I don't mind a refined presentation..heck, I love early Barbara Streisand records.

I lean towards the Lucinda, Bettye Lavette, and Janis side of things. But I love Norah, Tori Amos, and Joni too.

I did see a bunch of Suter videos on YouTube. Raw as raw can be, and proud of it. Thank God.

Nothing against Wilson, she is a true artist. She just reminds me of the Wynton Marlsalis and Keith Jarret stuffy side of things...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

"Different strokes for different folks." I find those to be good traits.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Classic reissued one of his LPs. Have to dig deep to find that one!

found it, "Dirt Floor" and a fresh copy is en route. The other one, his first on a major label (columbia, i think), was 'living with the law,' which is not easy to find used- the two copies i spotted so far were overseas, at 100 bucks a pop, used.
I'm looking forward to Dirt Floor, apparently very simple recording.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
New Moon Daughter was also to be (re)released on vinyl, i ordered it months ago, from Chad I think, have yet to see it.
I also got the Belly of the Sun vinyl. Both Blue Light and Belly are Pure Pleasure (as the 'new' New Moon might be, i can't remember).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Give it a go, Myles, be interested in your take. I only got a chance to listen to the whole thing once through so far, but it is pretty impressive, and yes, some of the tracks sound different, owing perhaps to different studio/recording or mastering engineer (i don't have the liner notes in front of me right now). I don't know if it was released on vinyl before either.

BTW it's a DMM pressing and because of the use of a preview head, is essentially a digital recording. Now you know why all the PP releases have that thin, slightly metallic, electronic sound.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
BTW it's a DMM pressing and because of the use of a preview head, is essentially a digital recording. Now you know why all the PP releases have that thin, slightly metallic, electronic sound.
Interesting, I thought Blue Light at Dawn sounded good, I didn't find Belly to be as engaging musically. I have a DMM of This One's for Blanton (not PP) that is unbelievably percussive. In some respects, it makes the piano sound more lively, but it is not real.
NB- maybe some of the tracks that were done at Sear's on Blue Light offset a little of the potential stridency.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Interesting, I thought Blue Light at Dawn sounded good, I didn't find Belly to be as engaging musically. I have a DMM of This One's for Blanton (not PP) that is unbelievably percussive. In some respects, it makes the piano sound more lively, but it is not real.
NB- maybe some of the tracks that were done at Sear's on Blue Light offset a little of the potential stridency.

As with the Candid recording/tape that is a little on the dark side. I also suspect they used some other technology to remove tape hiss too on the Lightnin' Hopkins.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH

I have all her disc too. A little heavy on the bass at times but overall nicely done. I get the arty reference, some arrangements can be intentionally out there.
You guys might like Lyambiko. Tends to sound like Nina Simone, so she did a tribute album. Her backup trio is excellent with superb sonics, IMHO, of course. Best Afro Blue since Nancy Wilson. Her Black Coffee cover is top self.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing