Cassandra Wilson Blue Light til Dawn

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
This was released on vinyl, allegedly from the tapes. Anybody have it that can comment (I ordered it already, so don't hold back :)) Fremer waxes poetic, but....

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
This record finally arrived. The sonics are a marvel. I am getting my head around her performance, which is a bit outre, highly recommended for recording quality at a minimum. Apparently most of the tracks were done at Sear Sound in NY.
Rockitman, are you paying attention? :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
She has yet to let me down.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
She has yet to let me down.

Have you heard this reissue, Greg? It is quite a sonic showpiece. I listened to all 4 sides. It's the kind of performance that is going to make me go back and listen again, because it is not a standard cover of anything. The Chris Whitley guitar work on the record was also pretty amazing, I'm trying to track down his discography on vinyl as well.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Not yet I 'll try to track it down.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Not yet I 'll try to track it down.

It's on Pure Pleasure and was apparently back-ordered until now. My comments only apply to the vinyl, have no idea what the digital release (or re-release in other formats) sounds like.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I wouldn't put in the the class of New Moon Daughter :)

Being recorded at Sears Sound means it was recorded all tube. I like the PP records but they do have a "sound." Of course that varies since they use at least three mastering engineers, in this case Ron McMaster at Capitol. Also interesting to see who she thanks including Michael Cuscuna and Producer Craig Street.

"He has worked with artists such as Norah Jones, k. d. lang, Rebekka Bakken, Cassandra Wilson, Charlie Sexton, Meshell Ndegeocello, Joe Henry, John Legend, The Manhattan Transfer, Chris Whitley and others. Come Away with Me, which he produced for Norah Jones, won a Grammy for album of the year in 2002."

http://www.artistdirect.com/artist/credits/craig-street/498257

Of course, I think I first remember him from his work with Holly Cole.

My question is this the first time it was released on LP? I don't have an earlier copy and don't see it around either. Her other albums like NMD fetch a hefty used price.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I wouldn't put in the the class of New Moon Daughter :)

Being recorded at Sears Sound means it was recorded all tube. I like the PP records but they do have a "sound." Of course that varies since they use at least three mastering engineers, in this case Ron McMaster at Capitol. Also interesting to see who she thanks including Michael Cuscuna and Producer Craig Street.

"He has worked with artists such as Norah Jones, k. d. lang, Rebekka Bakken, Cassandra Wilson, Charlie Sexton, Meshell Ndegeocello, Joe Henry, John Legend, The Manhattan Transfer, Chris Whitley and others. Come Away with Me, which he produced for Norah Jones, won a Grammy for album of the year in 2002."

http://www.artistdirect.com/artist/credits/craig-street/498257

Of course, I think I first remember him from his work with Holly Cole.

My question is this the first time it was released on LP? I don't have an earlier copy and don't see it around either. Her other albums like NMD fetch a hefty used price.
Give it a go, Myles, be interested in your take. I only got a chance to listen to the whole thing once through so far, but it is pretty impressive, and yes, some of the tracks sound different, owing perhaps to different studio/recording or mastering engineer (i don't have the liner notes in front of me right now). I don't know if it was released on vinyl before either.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Give it a go, Myles, be interested in your take. I only got a chance to listen to the whole thing once through so far, but it is pretty impressive, and yes, some of the tracks sound different, owing perhaps to different studio/recording engineer. I don't know if it was released on vinyl before either.

Oh I have it--got BLTD when the reissue first came out. Liked it but not as much as some of her others musically and many of the PP have a little thinness/ss sound to them IMHO.

Not to change the subject but the best PP release I've heard is Lightnin' Hopkins in NY. Have the tape also and it's a sensational recording.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Is this the guitar player?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i have this vinyl and like it. Cassandra has a style that i really like and the vocals really come thru nicely.

like Myles i do prefer the music of NMD as more involving to me (BLTD is a bunch or torch standards), but i don't have the vinyl of NMD.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't do vinyl, but I love Cassandra Wilson and have most of her recordings. The majority are pretty good quality. I forget which album it's on, but she has a cover of Robert Johnson's "Come On In My Kitchen" with an odd, percolating guitar part that is just mesmerizing. Then she comes in singing this nearly 100 year old standard everybody in the world has heard, one that's been covered a hundred times, and she just owns it. A howling, whining, blues that she croooooons, baby.

That's when I like her best, when she's out there working the outter edges of a song or a whole genre. I can get the great American songbook with some studio guys doing their best Nelson Riddle behind every female jazz singer who ever recorded. From Casandra, I want the funk. I want the strong flavor scraped off the bottom of the pot. And I usually get it with really good sonics. That "Come On In My Kitchen" cover? Sounds like it has crawled in bed with you. Won't let you rest.

Tim

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
This was released on vinyl, allegedly from the tapes. Anybody have it that can comment (I ordered it already, so don't hold back :)) Fremer waxes poetic, but....

Musical tio:

Check out Lizz Wright. All 3 or 4 of her albums are sublime.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing