Caprica

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was not a BSG fan when the original series came out nor was I a fan of the Universal Studios ride. I believe I actually fell asleep on my Dad's shoulder. The re-imagining however grabbed me, although I wish they had cast someone other than Jaime Bamber for the character of Apollo. The "man creates robot, robots destroy mankind theme" goes back for as long as I can remember. Yet the new BSG made it seem fresh in many ways even throwing homage filled references like "skinjobs" from Blade Runner around.

In 2009, the prequel series Caprica began airing. As a huge BSG fan I can't believe I only started watching it yesterday. It's a drama about two families, the mob related Adamas, Joseph being Admiral Adama's Dad and the Graystones, led by the young tech Billionaire genius.

I don't want to lay down any spoilers because I'd really like my fellow WBF Sci-Fi buffs to go and see at least the pilot episode. Suffice it to say that the pilot was so well done, in terms of characterization that it could serve as a prequel to not just BSG but even as a prequel to the likes of Terminator, The Matrix, I-Robot and even Frank Herbert's Dune had it been set on 21st Century Earth. The producers, writers and director along with excellent acting from the cast, tell the story with a mix of innocence, skepticism or frankness depending on if it is a character or narratorial scene that makes the social commentary poignant without being preachy.

BD picture quality is so-so and the same goes for the audio. CGI is likewise average TV quality. The cinematography uses over exposure to lend an off world feel to otherwise familiar surroundings. I still feel the writing, directing (particularly the use of very tight shots of the actors) and the acting, make up for the visual and aural shortcomings.

Highly Recommended.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oops sorry Steve. BSG is Battlestar Galactica. BDG is a typo. I'll fix that. While Caprica is a prequel, I recommend watching BSG first. It was one of those shows that was cancelled but public clamor brought it back to life. It won a whole lot of awards in the process including a Hugo, a Peabody and a bunch of Emmy wins and nominations.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I tried to get into Caprica and just found it utterly confusing and hard to follow. It was more about the "birth" of the Cylons-kind like a Terminator 3 plot.
And I was a BSG fan, though the show moved at a snail's pace. And the ending was a let down to me.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I never watched any of that crap-er, I mean great movies/shows. I never watched Star Trek. never saw a single Star Wars movie, nor watched BSG (Blood, Sweat, & Gears?). Never my cup of tea and I don't even drink tea.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well you're reading a sci-fi thread Mark so maybe that's a start :p

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I tried to get into Caprica and just found it utterly confusing and hard to follow. It was more about the "birth" of the Cylons-kind like a Terminator 3 plot.
And I was a BSG fan, though the show moved at a snail's pace. And the ending was a let down to me.

I can imagine it can get confusing if not watched straight through. There are a lot of simultaneous story arcs. Lots of jumping between the V world and the real world too. Having lots of CGI elements in the "real" world doesn't help.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Though I think BSG is as good as any television I've seen, I checked out after the first few episodes of Caprica. Expectation may have played a role: the constant struggle to simply survive in BSG gave it an urgency I've never seen on TV. Think I expected at least some of that feel from Caprica, but it's an entirely different premise. Might have to revisit on disc.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I never watched any of that crap-er, I mean great movies/shows. I never watched Star Trek. never saw a single Star Wars movie, nor watched BSG (Blood, Sweat, & Gears?). Never my cup of tea and I don't even drink tea.

Not to fret Jack. Everyone hits a pop foul once in a while ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Well you're reading a sci-fi thread Mark so maybe that's a start :p

I stumbled in here by accident. I thought Caprica was the name of a new preamp. I will leave now...

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Zodiac sign??

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Did Caprica get cancelled after the first season or did Hulu just drop it? I can't seem to find any new episodes and I've only seen one season.

Tim

PS: Or maybe this is just the off season and it's coming back soon? Where does the series stand as of now? I enjoyed what I saw.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There's a season 1.5 on BD. Yeah, strange right? It was the same with BSG. Some years had shortened seasons.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Did Caprica get cancelled after the first season or did Hulu just drop it? I can't seem to find any new episodes and I've only seen one season.

Tim

PS: Or maybe this is just the off season and it's coming back soon? Where does the series stand as of now? I enjoyed what I saw.
Sadly it was cancelled by Sci Fi, makes a change for it not to be Fox who have also freaking cancelled some great shows this year :(

Shame the viewing ratings seem to be more ruthless these days in deciding whether a show is cancelled due to slots available and pushing company profits, but makes me wonder why another channel does not take these shows on even if it means lower profit margins.
They all cannot be chasing the big profits for investors I would hope.

Cheers
Orb

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sadly I don't see Caprica getting the defibrillator treatment BSG got. That sucks man. At least Firefly got a movie to tie things up for good. Looks like Caprica will suffer the same fate as Heroes.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sadly it was cancelled by Sci Fi, makes a change for it not to be Fox who have also freaking cancelled some great shows this year :(

Shame the viewing ratings seem to be more ruthless these days in deciding whether a show is cancelled due to slots available and pushing company profits, but makes me wonder why another channel does not take these shows on even if it means lower profit margins.
They all cannot be chasing the big profits for investors I would hope.

Cheers
Orb

Yes or some of the best shows like MASH would never have gotten off the ground :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing