Can you play pool?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Some of those shots I would bet he couldn't make 10 out of 10 tries. Some aren't as difficult as they look.

As impressive as trick shots can be they pale in comparison to running 10 racks of nineball in a row or shooting in 100 or more balls in a row in a game of straight pool.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
some people actually specialize in doing trick shots, and can be good/decent players.

I used to play pool a lot, and in my experience - the really good ones actually make the game look so simple to the point it is almost boring. Efren Reyes used to be Philippines' most popular athlete, before Manny Pacquiao became popular in boxing. I used to follow him around the secret pool halls in Manila where the big names meet for serious amount of bets. They play rotation (race to 61) because 9 balls is too easy for them. Efren can beat some world class players playing left handed as handicap (he is right handed). Efren will do a shot that looks so simple to everybody, then after the game, you will see other highly skilled players try to imitate the shot and fail to get the cue ball do the same.

Efren and a few other Filipinos eventually became popular in Vegas. While they've won a lot of tournaments, they're not after the championship plaque & championship purse all the time. Pool is usually a gambler's game. Don't be surprised to see them lose in the tournament and go home very happy, they usually cleanup the winner's pocket in a secret location somewhere after the tournament and take home lot's of money, tax free :cool:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Efren and a few other Filipinos eventually became popular in Vegas. While they've won a lot of tournaments, they're not after the championship plaque & championship purse all the time. Pool is usually a gambler's game. Don't be surprised to see them lose in the tournament and go home very happy, they usually cleanup the winner's pocket in a secret location somewhere after the tournament and take home lot's of money, tax free :cool:
Never thought they would extend hustling to the tournament but I guess why not! Clever. :)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I watched it three times before I realized there was a pool table in the video :D

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
some people actually specialize in doing trick shots, and can be good/decent players.

I used to play pool a lot, and in my experience - the really good ones actually make the game look so simple to the point it is almost boring. Efren Reyes used to be Philippines' most popular athlete, before Manny Pacquiao became popular in boxing. I used to follow him around the secret pool halls in Manila where the big names meet for serious amount of bets. They play rotation (race to 61) because 9 balls is too easy for them. Efren can beat some world class players playing left handed as handicap (he is right handed). Efren will do a shot that looks so simple to everybody, then after the game, you will see other highly skilled players try to imitate the shot and fail to get the cue ball do the same.

Efren Reyes is/was among the best of all time. I played Francisco Bustamante in an open tournament once. Lost 9-0 but it was fun to play someone I'd seen on TV before.:D I use to play pool everyday for years but lost interest after a while.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Never thought they would extend hustling to the tournament but I guess why not! Clever. :)

they have mastered hustling to a science.. If you don't know who they are and you are playing just for bets (non-tournament), you can play all day and think that they are not much better than you, until the time you count your money. He win, you win, he win, he win, you win, you win - on and on but bet per game is never the same.. if you don't pay too much attention, you won't notice you only win the matches with little money on it.. and they won't dominate you, because they know if they do, you won't play them anymore.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

a trick shot, when the match is on the line...

Lots of good safety shots by both players. Looks like Efren was going for a safety and got lucky to me. If he planned to kick in the nine after hitting three rails that would be incredible to say the least.:eek:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Lots of good safety shots by both players. Looks like Efren was going for a safety and got lucky to me. If he planned to kick in the nine after hitting three rails that would be incredible to say the least.:eek:

That's what the last shot looked like to me as well. Plus, Efren seemed to be as surprised as anyone.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Some Canadians are pretty good with a 'stick'. :b

Take me for example; I used to play in both pool (8-ball) and snooker's tournaments (still have my sticks, and not cheap ones either).

...I even played in chess tournaments. ..And I have a beautiful chess board from Morocco; a beautiful piece of art with a 'zillion' of small pieces of colored wood encrusted all around. I should take a pic. ...Whoever made it I bet it must have taken a very long time.
{It was a present from Mom when she went there.)

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
-- Some Canadians are pretty good with a 'stick'. :b

Take me for example; I used to play in both pool (8-ball) and snooker's tournaments (still have my sticks, and not cheap ones either).

...I even played in chess tournaments. ..And I have a beautiful chess board from Morocco; a beautiful piece of art with a 'zillion' of small pieces of colored wood encrusted all around. I should take a pic. ...Whoever made it I bet it must have taken a very long time.
{It was a present from Mom when she went there.)

Only played snooker a few times. It's fun and quite challenging. Such small pockets! I would have played more if there was a snooker table closer to where I lived. Normally being 12' long they take up allot of space and are harder to accommodate.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- That's exactly why I played snooker all my youth; because my very good neighbour friend, Michelle (she was sewing my clothes), her Dad had a snooker table in the basement (huge one), and a very nice one too.
Plus I was getting along very well with her mother too; she was a musician (piano and organ).

Snooker is a better game IMO; it requires more dexterity, precision, and it's also very nice to play with partners (four people total). Plus better parties around a snooker table (with lots of girls; and they can play too) than a pool table. ...Pool tables are cool in strip joints though. :b

I'm very big on darts as well; still have a pro board plus many high-end sets of darts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing