Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

Republicoftexas69

top 40 vinyl sales in 2023. Jazz? Classical? How many on this thread listen to any of these? Just curious.
OSTITLEARTIST
1​
1989 (TAYLOR'S VERSION)TAYLOR SWIFT
2​
HACKNEY DIAMONDSROLLING STONES
3​
DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE'S A TUNNEL UNDERLANA DEL REY
4​
SPEAK NOW (TAYLOR'S VERSION)TAYLOR SWIFT
5​
RUMOURSFLEETWOOD MAC
6​
THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOONPINK FLOYD
7​
THE BALLAD OF DARRENBLUR
8​
MIDNIGHTSTAYLOR SWIFT
9​
GUTSOLIVIA RODRIGO
10​
BROKEN BY DESIRE TO BE HEAVENLY SENTLEWIS CAPALDI
11​
TENSIONKYLIE MINOGUE
12​
AMARCTIC MONKEYS
13​
THE MASTERPLANOASIS
14​
THE RECORDBOYGENIUS
15​
COUNCIL SKIESNOEL GALLAGHER'S HIGH FLYING
16​
HARRY'S HOUSEHARRY STYLES
17​
BUT HERE WE AREFOO FIGHTERS
18​
CRACKER ISLANDGORILLAZ
19​
BACK TO BLACKAMY WINEHOUSE
20​
LOVERTAYLOR SWIFT
21​
FOLKLORETAYLOR SWIFT
22​
ST JUDECOURTEENERS
23​
3 FEET HIGH AND RISINGDE LA SOUL
24​
THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON - LIVE ATPINK FLOYD
25​
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY - AWESOME MIX 1ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
26​
WHAT'S THE STORY MORNING GLORYOASIS
27​
REPUTATIONTAYLOR SWIFT
28​
THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUSTDAVID BOWIE
29​
LEGENDBOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS
30​
THE 1975THE 1975
31​
THE QUEEN IS DEADSMITHS
32​
ULTRAVIOLENCELANA DEL REY
33​
BARBIE THE ALBUMORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
34​
ONE MORE TIMEBLINK 182
35​
WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM THAT'S WHAT I'MARCTIC MONKEYS
36​
BORN TO DIELANA DEL REY
37​
EVERMORETAYLOR SWIFT
38​
FOLKLORE - THE LONG POND STUDIO SESSIONSTAYLOR SWIFT
39​
NEVERMINDNIRVANA
40​
-ED SHEERAN
A few. Can honestly say I have never listened to an entire TS song.

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Millennials can surprise us. I think turntables are like some wearing their Mom's old jeans and peasant tops. What is old can be new again. Ms. Swift, being a good entrepreneur among other things, understands her market.
I'm afraid you're missing the bigger picture here.
Taylor Swift is not an entrepreneur in the pure sense, neither is Elon Musk.

My daughter asked for three specific Taylor Swift LPs for Christmas. Two were colored vinyl (light blue and purple). We have yet to play them…she likes the album covers and listens to the music via ITunes and her headphones…:rolleyes:
Let this sink in.

and consider:

Why was our national DJ icon replaced by Taylor Smith at the last minute for the Super Bowl?
Who is Taylor Swift's boyfriend?

etc.

;)

It's sometimes difficult to grasp the delusion behind people like Bono, Rod Stewart and countless others.

However, some artists cut right through the BS.
This is an example > quite pure recording as well.

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
What surprise ? Mindless lemmings following each others habits for coolness factor, propagated by social media ! :rolleyes: Something else will be cool soon, and they will run in that direction, selling of all of their shitty sounding digital vinyl ! :oops:

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Actually, I bought an old Beatles single just to look at it, it's fun to have. I don't own a record player (as everyone knows by now).

My mother still has the early Beatles singles she bought in her late teens/early twenties.

I do have early pressings of Rumours and Dark Side of the Moon.
Me too, several of each.

However, there's Pink Floyd and there's Roger Waters > in light of my previous post ;)

Last edited:

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018

Then watch this (> best not kill your inner child):

As I type this, on the motorway in the distance - where 100 km/h is allowed - I hear a motorcyclist accelerate to about 250-280 and then my neighbor start his Jaguar XJ6 Series 1.

All things that make you feel alive :)

(though probably not as intense as the roar of a lion at 4 am, near the tent during a safari)

Last edited:

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I'm afraid you're missing the bigger picture here.
Taylor Swift is not an entrepreneur in the pure sense,
Would you prefer referring to her as a savvy businesswoman? "Swift's income streams include revenue from her concert tour ticket sales, music catalog, streaming deals and record sales. She also owns numerous pricey properties across the U.S. Both Bloomberg and Forbes pin her net worth at an estimated $1.1 billion on the low end, based on analyses of her fortune."

But I find her affect on young woman more interesting than the accumulated wealth (which can be seen as a by-product). This is a snippet from an essay from a female psychiatrist: "A few months ago, I started joking that half of the treatments in my psychiatric practice had become Taylor-based. Many of my patients are adolescent girls and young women, and they have leaned on Taylor Swift as a kind of big sister through the daily agonies of being a teenage girl: unsteady friendships, the 24-hour firing squad of the internet and, of course, the endless longing to feel seen and valued. At the end of a session exploring these struggles, I’ve appreciated having her to keep my patients company the rest of the week." She then goes on to say that she embraced the music and culture too.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Would you prefer referring to her as a savvy businesswoman? "Swift's income streams include revenue from her concert tour ticket sales, music catalog, streaming deals and record sales. She also owns numerous pricey properties across the U.S. Both Bloomberg and Forbes pin her net worth at an estimated $1.1 billion on the low end, based on analyses of her fortune."

But I find her affect on young woman more interesting than the accumulated wealth (which can be seen as a by-product). This is a snippet from an essay from a female psychiatrist: "A few months ago, I started joking that half of the treatments in my psychiatric practice had become Taylor-based. Many of my patients are adolescent girls and young women, and they have leaned on Taylor Swift as a kind of big sister through the daily agonies of being a teenage girl: unsteady friendships, the 24-hour firing squad of the internet and, of course, the endless longing to feel seen and valued. At the end of a session exploring these struggles, I’ve appreciated having her to keep my patients company the rest of the week." She then goes on to say that she embraced the music and culture too.
Where is the puke emoji when you need it ! :rolleyes:

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Money = power and Taylor Swift is in a way becoming a powerful woman (power icon).

Time = money (and I have plenty of time).

Money makes the world go round > try to let the bs factor of this sink in.

An open question: "what does real wealth mean (to you)"?

What does this say about that woman, as a psychiatrist and as a human being?

Last edited:

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Terribly drifting off-topic, but let's take it one step further.

This is a book, the first edition from 1964:

1710432480928.png

Bearing in mind the book (without judging), this is an interesting (press) photo:

1710432999940.png

So much for contemplation ;)

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA

Real Wealth = enjoying life.

Last post on Taylor Swift. My point is that her music reaches across national boundaries and very different cultures. Isn't that what music should do? Be a universal language? I don't listen to her music. I don't buy her music. I do have friends who are Swifties. One is retired. Her last tour reached 4 million people.

Reactions: D.Duttilleux

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Money = power and Taylor Swift is in a way becoming a powerful woman (power icon).

Time = money (and I have plenty of time).

Money makes the world go round > try to let the bs factor of this sink in.

That she doesn’t want to babysit her patients off the clock… and that she is tuned in to the modern phenomena requiring therapy.

Reactions: PYP

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022

Last post on Taylor Swift. My point is that her music reaches across national boundaries and very different cultures. Isn't that what music should do? Be a universal language? I don't listen to her music. I don't buy her music. I do have friends who are Swifties. One is retired. Her last tour reached 4 million people.
I agree. I think a lot of our collective whining about her and those like her is rooted in our own submission to our peer culture.

Taylor Swift is not about curmudgeonly old men kvetching about how greatness has been lost. Taylor Swift is about being in tune with the whiny kvetching tik tok generation. Lots of folks want in. Hop onto your bandwagon of choice … unless you’re in the forward most wagon, the view never changes.

Reactions: Al M. and PYP

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I agree. I think a lot of our collective whining about her and those like her is rooted in our own submission to our peer culture.

Taylor Swift is not about curmudgeonly old men kvetching about how greatness has been lost. Taylor Swift is about being in tune with the whiny kvetching tik tok generation. Lots of folks want in. Hop onto your bandwagon of choice … unless you’re in the forward most wagon, the view never changes.
When I think of some of the crazy *$@% I did at their age, this all seems rather innocent and much safer. :)

I find it funny when audiophiles start talking about lemmings.

Reactions: Another Johnson

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I think a lot of our collective whining about her and those like her is rooted in our own submission to our peer culture.
I think that part of her success lies in that there aren't many like her; she comes across respectful, down-to-earth, (hard) working, disciplined... etc I think that people are attracted to the fact that a person who portrays values - such as they may be - has actually made it!
Swift is the contemporary proponent of traditional values. OK, she also plays the guitar & sings...
:):):):cool:

Reactions: Al M.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Swift is the contemporary proponent of traditional values.
No she’s not. At least not for traditions that date back more than two decades.

She is the poster child for woke values. This actually serves her well. If she promoted traditional values, she would be unknown as Taylor Who?

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
No she’s not. At least not for traditions that date back more than two decades.

She is the poster child for woke values. This actually serves her well. If she promoted traditional values, she would be unknown as Taylor Who?
OK. I'm learning!

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018

I consider myself primarily an observer of (the game of) life, rather than a judge (which clouds the view).

Music can indeed be considered a universal language, as long as there's no (hidden) agenda attached to it ;)

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Then watch this (> best not kill your inner child):

Nowhere near a response holding relevance to meaning of that gif.

With good reason I quoted lagonda who went on to express a similar involuntary emesis in a post shortly afterwards.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing