Can Analog Be Hi-rez?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Had a couple hours to spare while I had some file uploading to the server so I though I'd try a theory.

In a previous thread I talked about a way that wow/flutter can be eliminated in tape. The process is called the "Plangent Process". This is where they capture the bias freq. from a tape and adjust for wow/flutter. Pretty neat process. Well if there is a bias freq. on tape, can there be an actual signal up there as well.
So here was my plan. I take a signal generator and do a sweep all the way up to the bias freq. of about 150k in to a highly modified Studer A80RC with FMER Record AND Repro heads. The signal was captured into Pyramix at 24/192 via a DAD AX24. Afterwards, I'd do an FFT of the sweep and see what I got!

So.... here are some interesting graphs I got from the Studer. As you can see, there are ultra sonic signals ON TAPE!

I want to thank Ki for helping me with this!

Studer A80 sf.jpg Studer A80 signal.jpg Studer A80 spectrum.jpg

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gonna be some folks chomping on their feet I guess.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
---Bruce, that is great! :b ...But what 'bout LPs (it's analog too)?

LP up to ~40k is established. Would like to see it firsthand from Bruce though. Perhaps in his next visit to Mike L's with Bruce B's portable rig if his in house EMT isn't hooked up.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Perhaps in his next visit to Mike L's with Bruce B's portable rig if his in house EMT isn't hooked up.

I'll have to take PCM to Mike L.'s place. I avoided DSD because of the UHF noise that would mask the signal.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'll have to take PCM to Mike L.'s place. I avoided DSD because of the UHF noise that would mask the signal.

Probably hiss. Come on! somebody had to say it!

:p

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Your fan base appreciates it.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
LP up to ~40k is established. Would like to see it firsthand from Bruce though. Perhaps in his next visit to Mike L's with Bruce B's portable rig if his in house EMT isn't hooked up.

Yes I know that Jack, but 'bout low frequency extension, and rumble, and bass isolation (from the arm & cartridge), plus all that analog TT jazz?

And then, extended and controlled frequency response is not all there is about hi-res ...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Something like 8Hz I think but I don't know how many dB down at that point.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Something like 8Hz I think but I don't know how many dB down at that point.

Yeah, I thought of 10Hz myself.
...But the problem with TTs is to not have this reflect back to your table, tonearm and cartridge pickup.

Ti-li-dam ... dam-a-li-do. :b

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
She's sprung with bellows but the arm and cart resonances are dealt with with a trough filled with silicon on the front end of the arm (tip of the arm has a paddle that swims in the goo). :)

Uh oh, we're off topic now! :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---First, not really as we are still dealing High Fidelity Audio from Analog music medium (Albums played on Turntables).

Secondo, I'm sure Bruce doesn't mind too much.
And besides we'll be back to R2R analog tapes in no time. :b

* Tapes are High Fidelity audio mediums, but Bruce is trying to reinvigorate life into them by using his High Speed Download PC access & Super Audio programs (with all the toys & tools, EQs; mixing, redistributing, rerecording, remastering, reengineering, ...) to Higher Rezolution (Hi-rez).
I got nothing against it but simply high praise for Bruce in dealing with this 'new' concept.
I can't wait to see what the man will come up with. :b

It is people like him who advance the future in life. And in this case here, the future of audio reproduction; sweet Music to our tender ears.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I still hate Bruce for having download speeds faster than his CBR.

On with the show............

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I still hate Bruce for having download speeds faster than his CBR.

On with the show............

----- Yeah, Bruce's flying 'hi' right now ...

* Jack, I don't normally post late at this time; but I know that people half world away like you, do.

...And I like your last post from 'The Abso!ute Sound - Rubbish' thread.--- :b

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm just a quarter of the way now. I'm in Hawaii :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing