Can a Comcast DVR Hi Def recorder play back recorded programs in a different location

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Got the Elgato HD and a duo 2 core mac mini. Had the mac registered and running with the operating system in about twenty minutes, had the Elgato software installed in another 15 minutes.

The Elgato/Mac system works extremely well, the TV guide updates the local and cable TV schedule daily. Recording is a breeze.

Pros: Can record ON DEMAND programs and take the compact computer elsewhere for playback. The Mac Mini has HDMI output that also outputs sound. HD quality is excellent. The compression scheme used by Elgato in BETTER format uses about 4.1 Gigs/hr which means that an 80 gig space will go for 19 hours, more than enough for several evenings of TV use. The scheduling function allows for all kinds of programs and events to be scheduled and recorded, although ON DEMAND requires a manual triggering.

The Elgato device also allows for streaming video to ipods , ipads and iphones . Since I don't have any of those devices that accept video, I couldn't try it out.

HD Quality is probably about 80 percent of blu-ray quality and 90 percent of cable direct HD, which I think is very good for portable HD recording.

Cons: only has two channel analog input at present for sound. The mac mini has two ports that allow digital optical in and out, so possibly future software might allow multi channel digital in and out, but not now. ON DEMAND requires manual triggering. However, this is not much of a problem because Comcast doesn't even allow its own DVRs to record ON DEMAND programming.

All in all, the ELGATO HD/ Mac Mini core 2 duo system works very well as a programmable DVR, and doubles as a music server. The Mac Mini is a marvel of ergonomics, and operates with complete silence, unlike my big G5 mac that is quite noisy. I may sell my G5 after a trial, the mini seems to be good enough for everything I need, including recording vinyl and routine computer needs.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the report. Good to know it works well.

BTW, the PC version of the same went through the same growing pain regarding capturing the dolby-digital stream. Initially it did not do that but later was modified but had some glitches and such.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
pic

Attachments

• elgato..jpg
    elgato..jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 102

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
As a follow up, I have found the ELGATO recording device to be quit wonderful in quality and ease of use. I recorded many ON DEMAND movies and shows over Christmas holidays to view in Santa Cruz, including Boardwalk Empire.
The ergonimics, ease of use, and quality of playback are quite nice with the Mac Mini 2.4 Duo Core and the Elgato software/hardware. It is really quick and painless to record with it.
The near hi rez picture is very nice, somewhere between the best DVD and actual 1080i in quality, maybe about 600-720P range at the best compression range. Probably the worst thing was that there is no digital in and out for full blaze surround. However, I noticed that the two channel sound recorded in analog can be played with ProLogic to good effect and registers as a dolby source on the Sony HT receiver.
A surprise was that the Mac Mini (2.4 Core Duo) also allows me to view INTERNET TV using my Comcast account on a browser. The results are generally DVD quality or lower. There is no judder or jerkiness at all, the playback is very smooth with the Comcast internet speed. A lot of Comcast programs and movies are also available this way, including HBO and STARZ.
Because the Mac Mini has the HDMI output, connecting the Mini to the Sony monitor is a breeze, and a mouse can be used to navigate the browser for programs.
So this combo more than fulilled my desires for "mobile" cable recording and viewing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing