Camcorders

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I did a search on here and couldn't find much. have been getting tips from Amir and others though that have helped immensely!

Seems nowadays if anyone wants of video of something, they just whip out their trusty smartphone and send the video to FB or anyone else that wants to look at it. When ever I have to work on a Post Production project, it's the video that always gives me problems. Too many formats, resolutions, NTSC/PAL, pull up/pull down, compatibility problems.... the headaches are continuous!

There seemed to always be a need for someone wanted a "good" video recording, be it a surgery, concert or special meeting. I would always have to go searching for solutions and line up schedules. I've had to resort to renting equipment at times. I just got fed up.

Enter my search for a "decent" camcorder. Here were my must haves:

1. Excellent Low Light capture
2. 60p frame rate
3. Under $2k
4. Easy to use

I did the Google search and such and didn't really come up with much. What I did come up with are these candidates:

1. Sony HDR-PJ790V
2. Panasonic HC-X920
3. Canon Vixia HF G30
4. Sony NEX-VG30

The Sony NEX-VG30 seemed to be just a rehash of the VG20 machine. It was pretty big and bulky. Recorded in AVCHD (like most do) and only a 2x digital zoom. Best Buy had them for $1795, but couldn't get one for at least a week.

The Sony HDR-PJ790V was a lot better. Has built-in projection so you can show your video on the wall. I just thought it was something else that could go wrong. It does have an internal memory at 96GB and captured USB cable so you won't lose it. Only 10x zoom and 28Mbps video recording.

The Panasonic was alright. Video colors weren't as good as the others and low light recording had a lot of noise.

The Canon HF G30 was the best at low light levels. Records in both AVCHD and MP4 AT THE SAME TIME! The OLED touch screen was as fast as my iPhone5 and it's pretty easy to use. Records 60p 1920 x 1080 at 35Mbps. Has 20x optical zoom with auto focus that works instantly. Records to 2 SDXD cards and can output to HDMI. The menu is pretty deep with lots of settings for shutter speed, aperture and everything else you'll find in a DSLR camera. The best thing about it is the low light capability. I recorded a dark concert and there was no noise that I could see. This is the camera that I recorded at the PNWAS meeting with Ki Choi speaking. Hopefully I can get the video edited and up soon.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Can anybody recommend a camera with excellent stereo sound capability?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Roger - That is what I'm looking for as well, but I have not found any in the price range I'm considering, which is <$1,000.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Why the 60p requirement Bruce? Because outside of that, a DSLR with its larger chip would give you much better low light performance than what you list. In certain ways, because they have less video options, they're easier to use too.

As for stereo sound, the inboard mics on these things are never going to give you very good sound.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Why the 60p requirement Bruce? Because outside of that, a DSLR with its larger chip would give you much better low light performance than what you list. In certain ways, because they have less video options, they're easier to use too.

Because I've read many reviews where using a DSLR for videos longer than 10-15min will overheat the chip, especially larger chips that are great for low light. Also working with 60p will give you faster render times in Post.

As far as mics, I'd certainly use an outboard if I wanted great sonics. I got a shotgun for mine that when mounted, the camera recognized it an you could then go into the audio menu and change your settings.

Another review

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing