Calling Sonus Faber Owners - Wenge Veneer Finish QC Question

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
Calling fellow Sonus Faber Wenge-finish speaker owners. Do your speakers have this odd fleck (that looks a bit like dust, below the varnish? But might be in the veneer itself)? It's all over my new pair of previous gen' Serafinos and doesn't look like something that should be in a quality wood veneer. Most visible when daylight hits from a certain angle. Or is it normal? I await a response from SF and my dealer but, meantime, wonder what are the experiences of fellow owners. Doesn't seem right for £20k. Thanks.

Attachments

• serafino sml.jpg
    serafino sml.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi,
The Wenge veneer is quite porous, what you see there is a resin adhesive that has bled through the open pores when pressed under high pressure, sometimes this is unavoidable with Wenge, though SF could have used a pigment in the resin glue to reduce it's noticeability.. It can be avoided at manufacture by carefully controlling the quantity of glue spread onto the surface, let us know what your dealer / SF say about it..

BR,
Paul

Reactions: eagle33331

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
Hi,
The Wenge veneer is quite porous, what you see there is a resin adhesive that has bled through the open pores when pressed under high pressure, sometimes this is unavoidable with Wenge, though SF could have used a pigment in the resin glue to reduce it's noticeability.. It can be avoided at manufacture by carefully controlling the quantity of glue spread onto the surface, let us know what your dealer / SF say about it..

BR,
Paul
Hi Paul - that's incredibly helpful, thank you and will do. Meantime, if anyone else has this issue, I'd be grateful to know about it. If others' Wenge SF's are, largely, unaffected, then I'm inclined to ask for replacements. Best, Ian

Reactions: Uk Paul

Corinthian

Apr 10, 2023
I've got a pair of SF Serafino's finished in wenge, and whilst I often browse this forum I've never signed up - I did so just to respond to your question! I've never noticed the defect/feature that you posted a photo of in normal use, but shining a bright torch on the lacquer does highlight occasional flecks like yours. They don't seem to be as numerous in the one area of one speaker that I examined, and as mentioned, I've never noticed them until I went looking for them. Not sure how helpful that is though.

We seem to have similar tastes in equipment - I also have Gryphon Essence Pre and Power amps!

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
I've got a pair of SF Serafino's finished in wenge, and whilst I often browse this forum I've never signed up - I did so just to respond to your question! I've never noticed the defect/feature that you posted a photo of in normal use, but shining a bright torch on the lacquer does highlight occasional flecks like yours. They don't seem to be as numerous in the one area of one speaker that I examined, and as mentioned, I've never noticed them until I went looking for them. Not sure how helpful that is though.

We seem to have similar tastes in equipment - I also have Gryphon Essence Pre and Power amps!
Thanks very much for that, Corinthian. Much appreciated effort! It helps build the picture. Meantime, I'm still awaiting a response from SF.

Great amps :) I'm currently DAC shopping - may I ask, what do you use?

Corinthian

Apr 10, 2023
Thanks very much for that, Corinthian. Much appreciated effort! It helps build the picture. Meantime, I'm still awaiting a response from SF.

Great amps :) I'm currently DAC shopping - may I ask, what do you use?

I would be interested to hear what SF say, so please post up their response.

I'm not going to be very helpful re a standalone DAC as I don't have a separate one. Is the module for the Essence Pre any good? I tend to listen to vinyl mostly (Bergmann Modi with Odin tonearm), or if digital, Tidal via my Lumin X1.

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
I would be interested to hear what SF say, so please post up their response.

I'm not going to be very helpful re a standalone DAC as I don't have a separate one. Is the module for the Essence Pre any good? I tend to listen to vinyl mostly (Bergmann Modi with Odin tonearm), or if digital, Tidal via my Lumin X1.
Will do.

Ah, no problem. I've not heard the internal Essence dac - same unit as Diablo, I think. I imagine it's perfectly acceptable, but I want the very best I can afford and that should take me beyond the modular dac. Your tt set-up looks pretty stunning :)

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
UK Paul’s reply makes good sense… it also speaks to just how thin the wenge veneer is. Another possibility is the final finish coat of lacquer did not flow down fully into the open pore spaces — too much thinner in the lacquer with a thin veneer would risk delaminating the veneer from the layer beneath.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Most veneers these days are just 0.5 - 0.6mm thick, 1/4 sawn Wenge usually 0.6 as it is quite hard and brittle and does not slice as easily as many other timbers. There would be no concern though of the veneers lifting, the 2k resins are not affected by solvent based lacquers, thankfully!

Reactions: Bobvin

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
Sonus Faber say this fleck is 'part of the natural variations in the wood grain...they're a characteristic of natural wood of SF handmade loudspeakers..'

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Well if Sonus Faber tried fobbing me with that bs I'd call them out..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing