daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
what hifi is a joke , any high end gear always gets 5stars

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
what hifi is a joke , any high end gear always gets 5stars

For the 069's the score of "5 stars" is still tight and after listened the top level dac and sources of any brand, the 069's is to be considered one of the few worldwide absolute references!!

p.s.: In such What HiFi review is mentioned the 069's is far superior than the mighty three-box £33,000 dCS Scarlatti combo that I've had in my listening room and compared side by side with Burmester 069.

Last edited:

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
A mega-expensive antique.

Try to listen it in your set-up and then, if possible, compare with your personal reference!! After you can judge with your ears who is the out performer. I did that already ;)!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For the 069's the score of "5 stars" is still tight and after listened the top level dac and sources of any brand, the 069's is to be considered one of the few worldwide absolute references!!

p.s.: In such What HiFi review is mentioned the 069's is far superior than the mighty three-box £33,000 dCS Scarlatti combo that I've had in my listening room and compared side by side with Burmester 069.

What were your thoughts on how the two compared? I read the review of the 069...thank you for posting. I went on to read their dcs Scarlatti review as well. I am not sure they said the 069 was far superior to the Scarlatti. I think they said something like "only the Scarlatti has any chance of competing"...and that was specifically in their comment about how much detail the 069 produced. in their review of the Scarlatti, they also named it the best they'd heard.

Nevertheless, I have only red book and a lot of it...so red book player setups like this one are kinda my turntable...perhaps a bit out of fashion...but when done right, I am extremely happy and have not found much else that turns my attention away (incl Scarlatti).

Thanks for your comments about how the 2 compared!

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Hi LL21,

thanks for your post.

About What Hi-Fi they titled the review as "Burmester 069: The best CD player money can buy? Quite possibly, we haven’t heard anything better" and It's simply to think that the DCS Scarlatti combo was included seen that its review was performed previously than Burmester 069.

About the said comparison (together other top players from Naim, Spectral, Zanden, Cec with dac5 signature Audio Note, Metronome Kalista, Emm Labs, etc) has been made twice, one in my system that I premise is a full "Burmester Reference Line" and another one in my delear room that the system was composed by components of others top level brands. I used my musical software, both in sacd (with Burmester 069 reading the hybrid part only) and standard red book. In both situation, the listening sessions (spent a lot of hours in different days) and after the comparison the main difference, not limited to the DCS Scarlatti combo only was that with Burmester 069 the sound was astonishingly natural in all aspects and particularly in terms of naturalness, perfect and linear balance, superbly coherent, neutral timbre, richness, decay and harmonic structure, airy freedom between frequencies, definition, transient speed, delicacy, detail, transparency, micro and macro dynamics, dynamic contrast, resolution, large soundstage and very precise with pinpoint image focus. The background was absolutely noiseless and the music details come out easily and clearly with any strenght. Very impressive the truth to life bodies of the instruments and the presence of the recording studio reached an highest possible state. My system with 069's was able to draw me into the music with effortless and a natural warmth and weight, significantly more convincing and more alive, more musically with a greater presence, colour, texture and shape. With DCS Scarlatti combo and others competitors above mentioned the sound was sonically fantastic too, amazingly accurate and fast in the transients and even each one had own musical properties at the end I didn't feel totally satisfied about the way of their overall completeness sound expression, looks like that music was a little thin and boring after some hours of listenings.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL21,

thanks for your post.

About What Hi-Fi they titled the review as "Burmester 069: The best CD player money can buy? Quite possibly, we haven’t heard anything better" and It's simply to think that the DCS Scarlatti combo was included seen that its review was performed previously than Burmester 069.

About the said comparison (together other top players from Naim, Spectral, Zanden, Cec with dac5 signature Audio Note, Metronome Kalista, Emm Labs, etc) has been made twice, one in my system that I premise is a full "Burmester Reference Line" and another one in my delear room that the system was composed by components of others top level brands. I used my musical software, both in sacd (with Burmester 069 reading the hybrid part only) and standard red book. In both situation, the listening sessions (spent a lot of hours in different days) and after the comparison the main difference, not limited to the DCS Scarlatti combo only was that with Burmester 069 the sound was astonishingly natural in all aspects and particularly in terms of naturalness, perfect and linear balance, superbly coherent, neutral timbre, richness, decay and harmonic structure, airy freedom between frequencies, definition, transient speed, delicacy, detail, transparency, micro and macro dynamics, dynamic contrast, resolution, large soundstage and very precise with pinpoint image focus. The background was absolutely noiseless and the music details come out easily and clearly with any strenght. Very impressive the truth to life bodies of the instruments and the presence of the recording studio reached an highest possible state. My system with 069's was able to draw me into the music with effortless and a natural warmth and weight, significantly more convincing and more alive, more musically with a greater presence, colour, texture and shape. With DCS Scarlatti combo and others competitors above mentioned the sound was sonically fantastic too, amazingly accurate and fast in the transients and even each one had own musical properties at the end I didn't feel totally satisfied about the way of their overall completeness sound expression, looks like that music was a little thin and boring after some hours of listenings.

Thanks...would be curious to know what happens when you shoot-out with the Vivaldi which I do prefer to the Scarlatti, or at least it seems easier to plunk down on an equipment rack and work beautifully. I have heard the Scarlatti sound beautiful, but it was exceptionally well setup with Halcyonics active isolation, literally tweaked with the voltage going into it, etc...

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Thanks...would be curious to know what happens when you shoot-out with the Vivaldi which I do prefer to the Scarlatti, or at least it seems easier to plunk down on an equipment rack and work beautifully. I have heard the Scarlatti sound beautiful, but it was exceptionally well setup with Halcyonics active isolation, literally tweaked with the voltage going into it, etc...

Thanks.

DCS Vivaldi 4 stacks surely will be at the top. I listened it at Singapore last February, but the acustic room and set-up were unknown for me and at that stage was very difficult to convey accurate impressions. I hope to listen it in the very close future ;)

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
What Hifi is a total joke of a magazine

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What Hifi is a total joke of a magazine

Hey! Is this a thread about mega-expensive antique CD players or a thread about why you don't like What HiFi?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing