Building a Sound Jazz Repertoire

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Well the beauty of music threads is there is always somethings I missed. Given my aging memory, I decided to enlist some help from Google. I've heard most of these. It's no surprise my favorite is Sara Vaughn. I acknowledge Miles talent, but he never was my "go to favorite." Although KOB transcends every qualification. There, I said it. Now I'll be stoned to deaf.
Here is the top 25. If you work hard and have cash you can probably find them(new or used) all on vinyl. I am sure some or maybe all have already been named but not as a set.

http://www.thejazzresource.com/top_25_jazz_albums.html

That will keep you busy. As a matter of fact I have a little leg work to do myself.

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Well the beauty of music threads is there is always somethings I missed. Given my aging memory, I decided to enlist some help from Google. I've heard most of these. It's no surprise my favorite is Sara Vaughn. I acknowledge Miles talent, but he never was my "go to favorite." Although KOB transcends every qualification. There, I said it. Now I'll be stoned to deaf.
Here is the top 25. If you work hard and have cash you can probably find them(new or used) all on vinyl. I am sure some or maybe all have already been named but not as a set.

That will keep you busy. As amatter of fact I have a little leg to do myself.
Thanks Gregg, Flez beat you to it in posting this list, but I agree it is a great start.
What a marvelous bunch of contributions overall. I still need to make time to see if I can organize it in some way - de-dupe, perhaps add label info. This is great.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

And i agree about Sara Vaughan.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I think the knock on Sara was that she tended toward the overdramatic.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It should re-occur semi-annually.:b

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Too lazy to go back .. I believe there are three more albums that should be included in any decent jazz repertoire. I had forgotten those three but through the magic of Foobar .. I got to listen to them yesterday night ..

Weather Report: I sing the Body Electric ... Simply Beautiful ... Avant-Guarde to this day.. Likely the best album by Weather Report.

51yR8Zg1xbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Miles Davis: Bitches Brew ... A singular musical trip .. Must take the time to listen and digest .. Long beautiful compositions

51ROz0O3LqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ornette Coleman: The Shape of Jazz To Come ... ANother beautiful album from an often forgotten Jazz Giant

516itKL5IwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I pulled out a fresh, unplayed Prestige copy of Sonny's Sax Colossus- I had forgotten what a great record this is, listening to it now as I write.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I pulled out a fresh, unplayed Prestige copy of Sonny's Sax Colossus- I had forgotten what a great record this is, listening to it now as I write.

You know there is a Tape Project tape of that....

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
You know there is a Tape Project tape of that....

Tease. :) Well, if and when, that might just have to be one of the first.
Listening to Lighnin' in NY right now- i am surprised by how quiet this pressing is, Pure Pleasure, which i have a few of, but never focused on as a label/distributor.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Tease. :) Well, if and when, that might just have to be one of the first.
Listening to Lighnin' in NY right now- i am surprised by how quiet this pressing is, Pure Pleasure, which i have a few of, but never focused on as a label/distributor.

I'm going to have to look through my collection as I know I have a few of those. Can't for the life of me figure out which ones though.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm going to have to look through my collection as I know I have a few of those. Can't for the life of me figure out which ones though.

I'm pretty sure the SRV reissues are on Pure Pleasure, as are some other things I know I listened to recently, but can't remember either.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Are there any 'bad' Sonny Rollins LPs? I haven't heard one yet.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Are there any 'bad' Sonny Rollins LPs? I haven't heard one yet.

Not sure, can't say I've heard everything he's recorded, but I know what you mean. Did hear him a few years ago with Roy Haynes, the first set was traditional the second set was more avant-garde. It was Carnegie Hall, pretty fancy digs.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It's now OOP. Still waiting for my copy along with the Robert Cray release they have.

Don't sit on a picket fence while you are waiting for those tapes to arrive. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing