Building a Sound Jazz Repertoire

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Don't sit on a picket fence while you are waiting for those tapes to arrive. :)

Yeah I know. I ordered a 6 pack subscription last January....still waiting for my last two...Sonny and Robert Cray. If you buy a studer and order tapes from them, based on the slow turnaround some caps in your deck could go bad by then...lol

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I don't have the reissue but have an original copy which sounds pretty good (not audiophile demo quality) and can be had for much less on Ebay...

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Yeah , just afraid of buying an old surface noise LP From the bay ......!

Hey , notice how heavy the old stuff is , funny we pay xtra for such today ..

:)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Yeah , just afraid of buying an old surface noise LP From the bay ......!

I can only speak from my experience, but the ORG reissues tend to be well recorded but noisy...

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Here are a few of my choices which i enjoy out of my current jazz collection...which will pale in comparison to many here.

Piano
- Oscar Peterson: Night Train
- Thelonius Monk: Genius of Modern Music Vol 1 & 2

Female Vocals
- Ella Fitzgerald: Ella & Louis, Ella & Louis Again
- Billie Holiday: Distingue Lovers, Body & Soul
- Etta James

Horns & Sax
- Miles David: Kind of Blue
- Wayne Shorter: Speak No Evil
- John Coltrane: Blue Trane, Soul Train, My Favorite Things

Others
- Red Garland Trio or Red Garland Quintet: All Mornin' Long, Groovy
- Dexter Gordon: Go!, Our Man in Paris
- Stanley Turrentine: The Blue Hour, the Complete Sessions
- Lou Donaldson: Blues Walk
- David Brubeck: Time Out
- Freddie Hub: Hub-Tones
- Cannonball Adderly: Somethin Else
- Hank Mobley: Soul Station
- Thad Jones: the Magnificent Thad Jones
- Horace Parlan: Us Three
- Duke Ellington

Something a little different or more recent...still good music
- Getz/Gilberto:
- Herbie Hancock: the Joni Letters
- Norah Jones: Come Away with Me
- Joe Williams: Ballad and Blues Master
- Ray Charles & Count Basie: Ray Sings, Basie Sings

I would stick BUD SHANK in after Getz.. :)

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Any of you guys familar with this Getz repro ...?

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-1849-s...o-numbered-limited-edition-180g-45rm-2lp.aspx

I have an original i inherited from my father's collection many moons ago , unfortunately it was one of many he loaned out over the years and the surface noise is debilitating , i notice this repro is at 45rpm , i would prefer to get 33 ....

Regards ,

I have this reissue and recommend it. I just finished listening to side D, to refresh myself on the surface noise issue someone brought up about ORG reissues. I detected no surface noise to speak of (I played it softly and then quite loudly). There is some very good sax playing on this album. If you like Astrud's singing, then you will enjoy this album. It is a live recording, so there is some tinkling of glassware and chatter, most noticeable between songs. The recording captures the essence of the room quite nicely.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing