VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, es347. While I haven't heard it in my system yet [key word yet], I have heard it demo'd for me at a private dealer. I flat out loved it. It doesn't sound gimmicky, it doesn't overemphasize phase but what it did do was make a very realistic 3D sound stage......the likes I have not heard before out of a typical box speaker. There are varying degrees of what you will hear from this unit and it heavily depends on (if the system is properly set up) the type of speaker and the recording. For example, an omnidirectional speaker will yield less results than a ribbon type or planar. A box type speaker will yield the greatest change. That change, to me, is one of the biggest advances in 2 channel stereo reproduction I do believe I have ever heard for playback realism.

If you look, there are I think two threads here that briefly talk about the QOL. If memory serves, Bruce thought it sounded "phasey". Others flat out loved it. I do believe that when more people actually hear it in a proper demo, most audiophiles will offer feedback of high praise for this unit. I believe Steve and a couple of others have listened to it at an audio show with less than favorable results. I think one of them actually said, "I couldn't hear the difference when the QOL was engaged". I'm discombobulated as to why this would be the case. It was extremely obvious to me what the difference was and it was very positive.

In a nutshell, it seems folks either love it or hate it. I just so happen to really, really enjoy what it brings to the table. Oh, I do believe that 2 or more members here actually have had or still have them in their system for some time now. Perhaps they will chime in.

Tom

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Well Tom you have piqued my interest. The price has been slashed from $4000 to $2400..

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Well Tom you have piqued my interest. The price has been slashed from $4000 to $2400..

part of their going out of business sale. wait a while and it will be under 1k

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Ok...will do!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
One of my friends succumbed to all of the hype and ordered one over a year ago. He auditioned it in his system during the trial period, and sent it back for a full refund. The suggestion at the time of launch was that it would be in every iPhone, telephone car radio etc because of the extra sense of "space" that it created and that high end audio was not really the long term goal. I wonder what ever happened to this product or its technology. There is little discussion about it any more. The early adaptors on Audiogon don't talk about it any more either.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I don't have Bruce's experience or equipment to play with effects, but the little bit I have done shows me that any number of manipulations are possible with DSP (not of the room correction type). Many produce a pleasing sound on some music, and different DSP produces more likable effects with different music and recordings. Bottom line, though, they are all clearly "effects", however pleasing, and the idea that one single DSP module will produce the most likable effect with all recordings is naive at best.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I'm as skeptical as they come...blame it on my BSEE...but after reading Atkinson's review I can't totally dismiss this thing. After all JA seems to be a pretty ANALytical kinda guy. It may be worth the return shipping charge just to actually hear it in my system...we shall see..

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I owned one and sold it. I was not able to get the hum out of my system that it introduced even with them giving me all kinds of hints to do so. That point notwithstanding, it was fun at first but over time became "gimmicky".

Now with things like Atmos and Auro around, the ability to provide a much more three dimensional soundscape for music is possible. (I heard an organ piece as CEDIA with Auro and it was the most realistic audio presentation I have ever heard).

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I had one on trial but returned it. It certainly is gimmicky. It basically manipulates phase to the point that it almost sounds like its adding reverb. In my own studio I can take a recording of a voice - or entire band - that was recorded dry and make it sound 3D by adding spatial effects.

However, adding fake spatial effects to pre-existing spatial effects (whether it's natural reverb or otherwise) can result in some very annoying artifacts.

The QOL will probably sound best on very dry recordings. But try playing Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue (which I happen to love) and the vocals are, well, something else. Maybe even the audio equivalent of slapstick comedy. :D

That said, if you like that sorta thing and it makes you enjoy listening all the more, have at it! Most of us listen for entertainment.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Heard it in a high end system. Felt that it make every LPs sound the same

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello gentlemen. Well, time has passed, they are not out of business and I will be the owner of a Qol as of tomorrow. We shall see if in my system, the sonic changes are positive or negative. Follow up to come.

I know there are a handful of folks on this forum that have had or still have one in their system. Any further thoughts?

Tom

David Pritchard

Nov 4, 2015
I have used the QOL unit in my system for 2 years. Obviously I think it is worthwile. It 's performance does respond to upgraded power cord, fuse, footers, and interconnect. It takes a week to break in. Leave it on at all times. Out of the box the sound stage will be "bigger" but with a bit of digititis sound. That will resolve with break in playing and upgrades to give a relaxed sound. I hope you enjoy the unit.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have used the QOL unit in my system for 2 years. Obviously I think it is worthwile. It 's performance does respond to upgraded power cord, fuse, footers, and interconnect. It takes a week to break in. Leave it on at all times. Out of the box the sound stage will be "bigger" but with a bit of digititis sound. That will resolve with break in playing and upgrades to give a relaxed sound. I hope you enjoy the unit.

Sounds like a typical high end component needing break in, specialty footers, fuses, and cables. I read that it has had quite a price drop. What is the current MRSP? There was also talk early on that this technology would find its way into car stereos and TVs. Has it grown beyond the high end?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Perhaps we can send one to Amir for testing. Smile.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing