Bryston Cubed Amps in Bridge Mode

JFRMusic

Feb 24, 2024
NJ
Does anyone have experience running the Bryston 3B3 or 4B3 in bridged pairs?

Advantages or disadvantages over Stereo mode?
Did the 3B3 in bridge mode equal or surpass the 4B3 in Stereo mode?

Thanks

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
The load factor is doubled when running amp in bridged mode. Meaning the speakers need to be easier to drive.

Generally speaking, if you can get an amp that will run in "normal" mode at the power output you want, it's better to do that than to get two lower power amps and run them in bridged mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: audiobomber

JFRMusic

Feb 24, 2024
NJ
Nekoaudio

Yes I agree I like the 4B3 but not the weight. I can handle two 3B3 amps as they are each almost half the weight of the 4B3. My Speakers are 6 ohm Harbeths and relatively easy to drive.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Nekoaudio

Yes I agree I like the 4B3 but not the weight. I can handle two 3B3 amps as they are each almost half the weight of the 4B3. My Speakers are 6 ohm Harbeths and relatively easy to drive.
They become 3-ohm Harbeths to a bridged amp, and even lower at some frequencies, and an extreme current demand. Also distortion increases when bridged.

If you prefer to use two smaller amps, I suggest vertical biamping instead of bridging. It will sound significantly better.

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
The 4B3 box I just received has a ship weight on it of 55 pounds. I don't think the 3B3 is ~25 pounds.

The 3B3 bridged could be fine with the Harbeths. Stereophile measurements of Harbeth speakers tend to show 6 ohms is the minimum and they're relatively easy loads like you say.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing