Brubeck: Take Five - Analogue Productions Remaster CD vs K2 HD 2011 Sony Remaster?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Has anyone compared this with the K2 HD that Sony produced in 2011? I own this one, but was just curious if anyone has compared the two? Thanks!

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Just to let you know that Sony also released a Blu-spec CD2 version of this album in 2013. I haven't heard it so I can't comment on the SQ. I do own the 1997 Sony Single-layer SACD, great SQ on this one.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just to let you know that Sony also released a Blu-spec CD2 version of this album in 2013. I haven't heard it so I can't comment on the SQ. I do own the 1997 Sony Single-layer SACD, great SQ on this one.

Thank you. I have compared with the 50th Ann edition (which I think was merely a re-packaging and marketing job) with the K2HD and there was quite a substantial difference/improvement with the K2 version. Same for the K2 version of Kind of Blue.

But I am curious about APO Remaster as they tend to do a very good job...Bernie Grundman may have done this one. The only ones I have preferred to APO are the FIM K2 Remasters which are truly sensational. The K2 Take Five was done by Sony.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
But I am curious about APO Remaster as they tend to do a very good job...Bernie Grundman may have done this one.

He did remaster the SACD. From the APO site: Remastered by Bernie Grundman; authored for SACD by Gus Skinas on the SONOMA system

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I also have the AP SACD of this album and it is indeed a superb sounding album.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
So there are 3 SACD's and an HDtracks download. Has anyone actualy compared all 4 (5 if you count the two sample rates at HDtracks)??

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I believe there are two SACDs. The AP SACD sounds considerably better than the older Columbia/Sony SACD (but neither compares to the AP vinyl). I have not heard any of the PCM versions.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
There's also a Japanese SACD from a number of years ago; it may be the same as the Sony/Columbia SACD although some listeners suggest it is different.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
There's also a Japanese SACD from a number of years ago; it may be the same as the Sony/Columbia SACD although some listeners suggest it is different.

That may be the one I have?...K2 HD Sony Remaster from 2011.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks all! I will post my findings when the APO version arrives.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
TAS has a review comparing the HDtracks version of this album with the SACD and DSD download from Acoustic Sounds in this month's issue. The clear winner was the HDTracks version, the second the SACD layer and then the DSD download.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
TAS has a review comparing the HDtracks version of this album with the SACD and DSD download from Acoustic Sounds in this month's issue. The clear winner was the HDTracks version, the second the SACD layer and then the DSD download.

Thanks...could not find on their website. Which version is the HDTracks version? Which is the SACD version...the APO? I am just curious since there have been so many versions!

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
The HDTracks is a new circa 2012 24/176.4 master also available as 24/88.2. I have not heard it on my system but have heard it on a friend's and it sounds superb. I have not head the Superhighrex at all on the SACD. All I know is that the TAS reviewer preferred the SACD layer to the DSD download and liked the 24/176.4 better than the SACD. Just one man's opinion though.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The HDTracks is a new circa 2012 24/176.4 master also available as 24/88.2. I have not heard it on my system but have heard it on a friend's and it sounds superb. I have not head the Superhighrex at all on the SACD. All I know is that the TAS reviewer preferred the SACD layer to the DSD download and liked the 24/176.4 better than the SACD. Just one man's opinion though.

Thank you! Since I am a redbook guy, seems like the APO (or my current K2 HD) are as good as I am gonna get...which is already great with the K2...will look forward comparing it to the APO hopefully next week when it should arrive.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thank you! Since I am a redbook guy, seems like the APO (or my current K2 HD) are as good as I am gonna get...which is already great with the K2...will look forward comparing it to the APO hopefully next week when it should arrive.

Hah! Get a non-remastered first generation digital transfer of Take 5 and then compare to all these audiophile re-mastersings, the new ones are a joke! You won't believe how much body and naturalness is lost to remastering, even the scale of the instruments are completely different. Do it with anything including all Miles remasters from Sony & you'll see that it gets worse with every remastered CD.

david

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Hah! Get a non-remastered first generation digital transfer of Take 5 and then compare to all these audiophile re-mastersings, the new ones are a joke! You won't believe how much body and naturalness is lost to remastering, even the scale of the instruments are completely different. Do it with anything including all Miles remasters from Sony & you'll see that it gets worse with every remastered CD.

david

Huh...
I have some pretty carefully made 24/96 transfers of original mono, original stereo and Classics Records (33rpm) 2008 LP's (of Take 5). Aside from the fact that the pitch is off on some of the mono tracks (apparently a mastering error present on all copies and reflected in the song timings on the LP cover) I certainly don't hear what you claim, in fact I'd say the Classic Records sounds better than either of the originals. Unsurprisingly, I will probably end up preferring the 24/176.4 HDtracks which I got today because of earlier comments in this thread, but I'm reluctant to say that after only one listen.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Huh...
I have some pretty carefully made 24/96 transfers of original mono, original stereo and Classics Records (33rpm) 2008 LP's (of Take 5). Aside from the fact that the pitch is off on some of the mono tracks (apparently a mastering error present on all copies and reflected in the song timings on the LP cover) I certainly don't hear what you claim, in fact I'd say the Classic Records sounds better than either of the originals. Unsurprisingly, I will probably end up preferring the 24/176.4 HDtracks which I got today because of earlier comments in this thread, but I'm reluctant to say that after only one listen.

Whenever you get your hands on an early CD and compare it to these two pressings through a non-molesting DAC, ie not up sampling or reclocking alla DCS, you'll know what I'm talking about.

david

PS. Sorry to say that Oppo's not up to scratch to judge anything like this on.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Whenever you get your hands on an early CD and compare it to these two pressings through a non-molesting DAC, ie not up sampling or reclocking alla DCS, you'll know what I'm talking about.

david

PS. Sorry to say that Oppo's not up to scratch to judge anything like this on.

I have only found the CD which was mastered AFTER that pitch-mistake was supposedly fixed...is there any earlier one?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing