Brinkmann Taurus vs Primary Control Kinea

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
I've been searching for a turntable setup (around USD $20K budget including tonearm) that can handle all genres well (specifically classic/indie rock, pop, acoustic/vocal), not super heavy/complicated/weird looking/have a specific character. After quite a bit of research, my final contenders are: Primary Control Kinea and Brinkmann Taurus. They both happen to be direct drive (which wasn't intentional).

Having said that, there's no way for me to audition these two turntables in my setup. There are some nice reviews on Taurus but not much information on Kinea. But I've heard some great things from experienced people about Kinea (including Thomas Mayer). I'm not hopeful but is there anyone who has heard both the turntables? If so, I'd LOVE to hear your impression and how they differ.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Wish I could help specifically, I have not heard the Taurus yet ( need to fix that :) ). I have heard the Kinea.

Anyways, have you been able to hear either in any setting?

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
Wish I could help specifically, I have not heard the Taurus yet ( need to fix that :) ). I have heard the Kinea.

Anyways, have you been able to hear either in any setting?
Unfortunately not. Heard the Brinkmann Balance in show condition in unfamiliar systems.

How’d you characterize/describe the sound of Kinea? Did you hear it with Arrow? What cart? Thank you in advance.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I heard the Kinea one time, at the Primary Control workshop. So while I am a fan of the Kinea I can't claim to have its character fully separated from the system that day. Bernd had it setup with Gravity arm and Lyra Atlas, arm and cart together much more costly than the table.

It was a lovely rock solid presentation, very commanding with amazing bass weight and scale. Didn't have the time with it to get a lot more granular, sorry. Bernd is a great guy and imho knows what music sounds like ;)

Reactions: Scatterbrain99

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Are you in Europe? Or USA? Or? I would think a little road trip might be called for :)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
If you like European Direct drives, please have a look to STST as well.
I am a big fanboy of the STST Motus II D turntable. Your budget will allow the combination with a first class tonearm like Durand Tosca, Acoustical Systems Axiom, Glanz 1200, Schroeder just to name a few.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Good recommendation for the Motus. I have a Brinkman Bardo and I am a fan of this TT. It beats every Technics DD I've ever heard, but I've not heard the Kinea. I assume Taurus is very similar to my Bardo but it has the advantage of multiple tonearms as an option.

Reactions: Rawlit

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
I'm in the US. I heard many good things about STST Motus and how musical it is. However, it seems like the Motus has a character (although every TT does), and according to HiFi+ review -

There are better timed turntables on the market to be sure and if you are looking for the propulsive drive of jazz and rock they might be preferable, but if you enjoy instrumental and vocal tone in the context of a stable but lively presentation, there is an awful lot to like about the STST Motus II.
This makes me think it might be safer to stay with Kinea or Taurus. But I'm really curious about the Motus as well.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I represent STST so we could talk about that :) , clearly I find it a compelling value.

@shakti makes a point about overall budget vis a vis tonearm etc and how the whole package presents....

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Bergmann Galder Vacuum hold down , if you could swing it the Bergmann Odin linear tracker is a most excellent match.

Reactions: hogen

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
However, it seems like the Motus has a character (although every TT does), and according to HiFi+ review -
Currently my vintage DD collection shows:

- Technics SL1200 MKII
- Kenwood L07D
- Micro Seiki DDX-1000
- Denon DP75

The STST Motus IID has a very minor character, compared to the mentioned turntables, which all have a unique DNA.
It will be hard to find any turntable without a "character", even my TechDAS AF3P reference has one.
Bardo, which I know very good, has a character as well.

by the way, I have just read the Hifi+ review. They compare the Motus to SME model 20, which is a nice compliment, as the SME 20 is around 3 times the price of the Motus (in Germany). I believe that a 1:1 comparison, would means that the Motus gets a really good tonearm to overcome the price gap, will change the performance and the comparison a lot. ( I never listened to the STST Vertex Tonearm, my last listening to Motus was with Schroeder CB-1)

Down in Devon

Mar 27, 2020
I spent a while working out what to TT to change to from the Idler (Lenco) that I had.
I borrowed the STST that HiFi plus reviewed and found it very neutral, pitch stable, 3D, with great bass.
It doesn't have the 'push' of an idler or maybe quite the absolute maximum flow/detail of a good belt but seemed a good compromise overall. The Vertex arm is very detailed/neutral but wasn't my 'cup of tea'...
I wasn't sure what size unit to get (ie to suit 9 or 12 arm) and then I was offered a great deal on a used 12" unit so that decided for me.
I'd note that the Kinea would offer more flexibility with arms, and its variable torque would be interesting WRT cartridge choice.....

Reactions: bazelio

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Nice!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Perhaps a one careful owner Grand Prix Monaco 1.5 might be worthy of consideration.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing