blue ray player play LPCM DVD copy directly dub from analogue master tape

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I used a DVD recorder to make a copy in LPCM 96K sampleing format directly from ultraanaloguerecordings' master tape which recently recorded Carmen Fantasy play by T Narita and YY Lee,
the way to play the DVD back is a OPPO blue ray player digital out put to a MERIDIAN 566 DAC and compare listen to a Perlman play the same Carmen Fantasy in EMI vinyl
I am not qualify to say about performance but just judged by the pleasant of listening ,this digital bit LP this time , maybe my LP set up are not that hi end enough but a blue ray player + DAC cost more less than that, actually the key point is the recording quality but CD can't do the same job in same result
ultraanaloguerecordings will release those tapes soon but for those who do not have tape machine but still like to try to listen the quality of recording and performance can ask for a DVD in a much cheaper price
tony ma

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    786.3 KB · Views: 105
  • P1000036.JPG
    P1000036.JPG
    813.8 KB · Views: 111
What was used for A/D converter? Did you use the Pioneer as an A/D converter?

yes as you know I am a analogue guy and I don't own pro digital machine but that level is already quite good and much better than CDs' play back. today blue ray players are too cheap in price as long as it has digital out put as a transport job, sound quality will count on DAC and recording quality
tony ma

Maybe have Bruce do this with his Horus?

I also know that the ADC is very important and I did many comparison too, dubbed from the real master vs first copy (production master), the repro amp of tape machine LPCM DVD vs CD in the same ADC, result the top level condition dubbed CD still can't compare to second level dubbed 96k LPCM DVD
tony ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing