Best wristwatch value

Alex Plache

Apr 28, 2010
At the risk of starting another controversy, I believe one of the best, if not the best, wristwatch values for the money is Omega.

Here is a link to a recently discontinued model that I particularly like:

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/seamaster/omegagmt.html

What does the community think of this and/or about other great values in the wristwatch area.

And I don't want to hear about Casios.

Alex

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
At the risk of starting another controversy, I believe one of the best, if not the best, wristwatch values for the money is Omega.

Here is a link to a recently discontinued model that I particularly like:

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/seamaster/omegagmt.html

What does the community think of this and/or about other great values in the wristwatch area.

Alex

If it's good enought for James Bond, it's good enough for me ;)

It's on my shopping list.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Alex

:D ... Breitling Colt, chronometer with Quartxz movement .. I recently lost mine I had it for almost 10 years .. Simply disapeared somewhere .. but I am again (that is becoming a bad habit) with Myles ..if it is good enough for James then ... On my shopping list as well ..

Frantz

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If it's good enought for James Bond, it's good enough for me ;)

It's on my shopping list.

That gives me reason enough to pursue that DBS :)

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
I agree with the Omega brand as good value. I have an Speedmaster Pro (Apollo), a Seamaster Pro (skeleton hands with quartz movement) and an X-33.

Concur with the Breitlings although they are a bit gaudy for my taste.

Alex Plache

Apr 28, 2010
Another great wristwatch value in my opinion is the Mido. Here is an example that costs well under $1000.

http://www.rongood.net/mido/mido_1.jpg

The watch is swiss made, has an automatic movement, is all stainless steel (316L surgical steel), has a sapphire crystal and exhibition back. It is made by the Swatch group as are many other more expensive brands. They are not very well known in the US but are quite popular in Asia.

Alex

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I second the Omega option as well as Breitling, might add Tudor or Longines as good P/P ratio.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
Yes. I would say this would be an interesting question to answer about any watch beyond a Timex.

You are simply asking why people enjoy fine timepieces that are not necessarily as accurate as cheap plastic quartz watches. There are a multitude of reasons that vary from person to person: craftmanship, design, investment, jewelry, nostalgia, and maybe status (silly but true). In this context, issues of accuracy and practicality aren't as important.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
If I was going to buy a fine watch today it would be a Seiko spring drive. The movement I find is just spellbinding.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I suppose I am the iconoclast of this group...or weirdo.

Years ago, my grandfather gave me a vintage strap Rolex that I really liked. Unfortunately, it stopped running after awhile, and much to my dismay no parts were available to repair it. For years after that I would just buy some watch for a couple of hundred dollars, and toss it when it finally quit. Then, I developed a curious fascination for even cheaper watches, if they met what I consider to be good aesthetics. Now, I have literally a drawer filled with hundred dollar (or less) watches. I particularly like Skagen brand, and there are a few Citizen ones in there, too. I tend to wear what strikes me at the moment. My favorite is a titanium Skagen, though. No Casios LOL

See, I told you I was weird. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing