Best Speaker for 100k

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
So we talked "bang for the buck" in the other THE Show thread, but now let's go back to "what's best" in speakers at this kind of upper echelon/100k-ish level. The first speaker that I recall to get close to six figures was the Wilson Grand Slamm in the 90s, but now it seems like most manufacturers have a 100k SOTA piece. So what's your dream (or reality) speaker?

An audiophile friend at Newport asked me this question over the weekend and I still haven't figured out an answer! - although several brands at Newport showed speakers in this price range that sounded good to me.

KeithR

Apogee Grands. Also best speaker over 100k, Apogee Grands

Last edited:
2nd hand: XLF if you believe the Audiogon one on sale!

Retail: Rockport Altair

BTW, i have a soft spot for the big Wilson Grand Slamms and fortunately, did not have to pay anywhere near even a fraction of 100K to get a pair...;)

I find it very hard to fault TAD Reference One speakers in this price range, l am biased though. ;)

VR-9 Mk2

YG Acoustics Sonya 1.3
Wilson Alexx
Marten Coltrane 2 (have not heard the newer 3 model)

In the 100K price range these are my "Best"

Scaena 'Ultimate Mistress' in standard finishes! FWIW, won best of show from a TAS writer (and others) a few months ago in Chicago.

I second Steve's Alexx suggestion and Jack's VSA VR-9SE Mk. II suggestion and I would also add the Rockport Altair II.

It will all depend on user preferences, room and money he wants to spend on electronics and source.

For my musical preferences I would not pick any of the speakers referred until now over my Soundlabs A1 PX - around 40k. But I do not claim it is the best speaker under 100k.

It will all depend on user preferences, room and money he wants to spend on electronics and source.

For my musical preferences I would not pick any of the speakers referred until now over my Soundlabs A1 PX - around 40k. But I do not claim it is the best speaker under 100k.

Francisco, have you heard the Alexx

I heard it using VTL Siegfried ll and it was wonderful
You know, it's somewhat interesting that I have never been as impressed by Wilson demos with VTL (apparently David and Peter's preferred amplification) as I have hearing Wilson's driven by other high-quality electronics (Lamm, Doshi, D'Agostno, etc)

I think all of us who have owned electrostatic speakers will understand microstrip's post above. I do think that getting reference quality sound from e-stats requires more effort in finding an appropriate room, room setup and associated amplification than for the dynamic speakers mentioned. JMO.

of the speakers I heard at Newport, the Rockport Altairs would be very interesting- I've only heard the Atria and Avior.

I also noticed I tend to gravitate to efficient speakers, so the big AGs would be in play. I enjoyed a taste of the Acapella sound at the show, but not sure about a horn with only 91db sensitivity. The Cessaros I find hideous looking, sorry.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing