Best luxury SUVs...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Taking the girlfriend out to get her a new SUV on Sunday. She wants something sporty with tons of technology.

Acura RDX, Audi Q5, and Jeep Grand Cherokee are on the list so far.

Any recommendations? She has had two lemons from BMW, so won't return to that well.

Keith

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Easy...

Image 3.jpg

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
An important question here is how big an SUV does she want?

The answer will make a difference in the recommendations.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Hennessey Performance Jeep Grand Cherokee

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Think I'm about to pull the trigger on the diesel Grand Cherokee. The Summit and Overland versions are very tricked out tech-wise. In fact, I like the Chrysler U Connect interface better than any of the competitors.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The Q5 is a little smaller than the other two, also more expensive, more fun to drive and potentially more economical if you get the hybrid.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
we are on the same boat, currently shopping smaller SUV for my wife.. high on our priority list is size - smaller because my wife is only 5' tall and fuel economy - because our other vehicle is a gas guzzling 2009 Cayenne GTS and we have to think about mother nature somehow ;) and reliability - because we tend to keep our vehicles for a while.

High on my list is the BMW X3 but she hate it for some reason, same with the look of the Lexus.

We are now cross shopping Acura RDX, Mercedes Benz GLK 250 Bluetec, Cadillac SRX and the Audi Q5, with the high performance SQ5 in mind.

We have good ownership experience with the Acura (car for our daughter), very reliable. We were at the Acura dealership last night and was able to take a close look at the 2014 RDX and the 2014 MDX. The new MDX looks nicer but less agressive - but a little bit too big for my wife and maybe a little harder to park/maneuver downtown even with the parking gizmos. The RDX is just the right size... the hated chrome Acura beak is still there and there is no exciting color, so if we pursue it - we will just buy black, either buy an after market grille or paint the beak :p Interior finish looks superb, roomy for a compact SUV. Hard not to like. The V6 engine puts out 254 hp on premium gas, and maybe a little less if you cheap out on regular fuel - yes, you can use both. MPG is very competitive too. We will take it for a spirited test drive tomorrow and will report.

Second on our list is the Mercedes GLK Bluetec - I was already told that the dealership is sold out, the Oct incoming stock is almost sold out and some of the December allocation sold as well - the sales associate told me not to even try negotiate on the price. I spent a good half hour in the showroom, comparing it to the ML 350 parked beside it. If it is mine - I will pursue the ML. The interior of the two are nice, but quality, fit and finish is obviously below that of the Cayenne. We will take both (GLK & ML) for a test drive tomorrow. While I was at the dealership, I also saw the 2014 B 250 - I like this thing. I think I will convince my wife to buy this entry level model to tide us over until the Porsche Macan rolls out of production by June next year (I heard local allocation for the Macan is running tight already). I always liked liked hot hatches and was really fired up after watching the video of Hennessey's 350 hp Ford Focus ST - but no - it was too cramped for me and my wife will probably not like it.

We also looked at the Cadillac SRX, while it has nice interior the ergonomics is not good for my wife. A little too big. It has lot's of cool features though.

WE will look at the Audi too - although I am a little concerned about it's reliability. I have a couple of relatives who have owned Audis and swore never to go back - too many electrical problems that usually show up in colder temp. The Q5 is rated the top in it's segment and wish it is reliable as I really like it. I think the SQ5 looks awesome, although I've read a bad review of it already

2013_audi_sq5_q5_overseas_02-0616.jpg

and the new Grand Cherokee SRT - this thing is a real looker. But it does not fall under the environmental friendly category. The diesel models are nice too, but at 60k Canadian - I will be looking at a CPO Cayenne Diesel.

If money is not an issue - I will suggest a Cayenne Turbo. A few mods like secondary cat bypass, cold air intake upgrade, diverter valve upgrade, exhaust upgrade and an ECU tune will bring this beast close to (almost fear no one) 700 hp territory. The Cayenne is well built and fairly reliable and a blast to drive. I drove mine for almost 12 hours straight covering 1200 kms and I was not tired at all. Keith - you can also enjoy your favorite tunes in the Burmester sound system available.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
My wife is also 5' tall, and she loves her VW Touareg. It's the poor cousin of the Porsche Cayenne, but so far (2 years) ours has been totally reliable and pretty economical.

I've got about 1TB of music in the built-in music server..... but the interface makes it not too easy to pick tracks when driving. It doesn't do high rez though..... but does auto-rip CDs when you stick it in.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Keith, have you considered the Infiniti FX50, rebadged the QX70 for 2014?

I am on my third 39 month lease as my daily driver. The cars have been terrific. My third one only has about 10K miles so far and the previous two have had 60K miles during the course of their leases. They have had oil/filter changes, wiper blades, brakes and tires changed, no problems, completely reliable. It has technology, a 5L - 390 HP engine, superb handling and is fun to drive.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Q5 all the way. My wife drives one, and so far (60k miles) it has been totally reliable. Just like my S5, and A4 before that (had 2001 A4 for 8 years). I also know 4 people who own Q5s - no problems here as well.

On the recent ADAC (German Automobilclub) reliability ranking, the Q5 was ranked #1 in its class (of 20 cars).

The only car I would get over the Q5 from the ones discussed in this thread, is Porsche Cayenne Diesl. My mom drives one, and I have to admit - it is a better car (although twice as expensive).

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I guess I need to get her into a base Cayenne for fun- she loves the GTS and G-wagon if price weren't an object, but those are outside of her price range. 50-55k seems perfect spot for her now.

I'm doing my best to steer her away from an RX350, which she deems the practical/comfortable option :)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith, have you considered the Infiniti FX50, rebadged the QX70 for 2014?

I am on my third 39 month lease as my daily driver. The cars have been terrific. My third one only has about 10K miles so far and the previous two have had 60K miles during the course of their leases. They have had oil/filter changes, wiper blades, brakes and tires changed, no problems, completely reliable. It has technology, a 5L - 390 HP engine, superb handling and is fun to drive.

Gary- as a matter of fact, we stopped by Infiniti and drove the QX70 this past weekend! Unfortunately she has a dog and that trunk with the high lift isn't going to be optimal for her. She was very fond of the drive though. Next to the SQ5, her favorite.

They didn't have a 3.0V6 Q5 on the lot, so they took us out in the SQ5- I personally think at that level, it's Cayenne territory.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...I'm doing my best to steer her away from an RX350, which she deems the practical/comfortable option :)

There are good reasons that the RX 350/450h owns the non-enthusiast luxury SUV segment, and if your wife is not an enthusiast driver it's likely she will prefer the Lexus to everything else.

It's cheaper.
The dealership network is generally acknowledged to be the best.
Reliability is clearly #1.
It has a more comfortable ride.
Except for some of the hybrids, it gets the best real world mileage, and the 450h might get the best mileage of all.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My wife says that if we lived in the US the GLK would be her choice.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

If one wants practicality, reliability and comfort you can't do much better than the Lexus RX-450, the Hybrid. If you want sports go Cayenne or for less but still close Q5. The BMW X5 I like but don't know much about its reliability. The M-B GLK is on the small side too small IMHO.

The M-B G-Wagon, may be categorized under "SUV", it is not that however. It is a real, serious, ALL-Terrain vehicle... By that I mean any terrain, no paved road needed and it can do it consistently day in and day out. it is a rather rough ride though despite all the care M-B has put in trying to make it "civilized"; it remains what it was meant to be: An all-terrain vehicle. If you were to subject any of the SUV mentioned in this thread to All-terrain duties they wouldn't last One (1) year, the G-Wagon would and continue to tick for decases. I have a friend with one that is likely 30 years old and he uses it every day, not an exceptional case by the way.

Before I forget another alternative would be the Lexus GX-470. Big, roomy, comfy and able to tackle some rough terrain or no roads situations in a way none of the SUVs mentioned in this thread

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I toured Europe in a G Wagon and it was a blast. My driver had it at between 90 and 110mph on almost every highway. I loved the huge windows and firm ride. It did not feel like a truck, it was very car like. You had to step up to get into it and the seating area both front and rear was also huge. Far far more roomy than the big Range Rover, which BTW, I could barely fit in the passenger seat.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
My wife says that if we lived in the US the GLK would be her choice.

I would agree with your wife :) I think the GLK350 is by far the best looking compact SUV. I have to consciously look away from the MBZ dealership whenever I drive by, I wouldn't mind one for a mountain bike haulin' rig

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing