Best "low wattage" Integrate amps for efficient speakers

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
If you're going to RMAF check out Serious Stereo from Dennis Fraker.
I run my home built version, SupaNova45, about 2W, on my Duos and they are pretty remarkable. Bonzo heard them and thought the Duos sounded pretty good. You don't need huge watts on high efficiency speakers unless you have a big room or like it LOUD!
View attachment 22156
My SupaNova45.
Keep looking and listening and report back.
Cheers
Blue58

Thanks - yes I will. I do have a pretty good size listening space and do like to turn it up on occasions so I need to take that into considerations - I found last year while listening to the same speakers model but difference version "now two different version bass drivers" from this latest version I now have. I found the system had allot of finesse but was lacking when it came to over all dynamics and life for my liking, also sounded stressed when played louder or with playing any rock music - in the end just wasn't too my ideal liking.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi Dev,

I believe that I have mentioned this amplifier choice to you before, not an integrated, but the ML2.2 is SET done right...as with Jack and Steve, dlr. disclosure.

Jack, Steve...+1

Cheers!
Alan

Hi Allan,

thanks - yes for sure the ML2.2 is on my short list if I go in this direction. I was hoping to see at the RMAF but so far I haven't found anyone going to be there representing Lamm, also contacted and was told no - too bad.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I see the ML 2.2 as a junior ML3 with much of the topology of the ML3 at a fraction of the cost.I owned the ML 2.1 prior to owning the ML3 and I loved it. The ML 2.2 is even that much better

Thx for that info.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Hi Allan,

thanks - yes for sure the ML2.2 is on my short list if I go in this direction. I was hoping to see at the RMAF but so far I haven't found anyone going to be there representing Lamm, also contacted and was told no - too bad.

Hey David,

Have fun in Denver, happy hunting!

Cheers!
Alan

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I have personally never been exposed to this before - speakers really being so easy to drive but at the same time still providing desirable dynamics - volume, sound qualities etc. They are to date the only high efficient speakers that I have found that I actually liked period, I haven't heard everything but have heard allot. This is a whole new world and journey for me which has left me in shock so far. I only wish I had more exposure to trying different amplification easily, would make my decisions all that more simplified along with educating me at the same time.

It's the joy of owning high-efficiency speakers- I've had 10+ amps on mine now which has really formed my own opinion. Just so much easier to hear the nuances of amplification on HE speakers. I expect you will try several amps of different tubes/topologies. Enjoy the journey!

For SET integrateds, I'd still recommend Melody AN845 or KR Audio VA350i/Kronzilla. Both brands sound quite different though. The New Audio Frontiers would be the Italian one to check out. I'm sure Jeff has some great ideas for you as well.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
It's the joy of owning high-efficiency speakers- I've had 10+ amps on mine now which has really formed my own opinion. Just so much easier to hear the nuances of amplification on HE speakers. I expect you will try several amps of different tubes/topologies. Enjoy the journey!

For SET integrateds, I'd still recommend Melody AN845 or KR Audio VA350i/Kronzilla. Both brands sound quite different though. I'm sure Jeff has some great ideas for you as well.

Thanks for the info - ya it was the same with my previous speakers - I learned allot and in the end what satisfied me. When I look at product there are many factors I look at - reputation - build quality - noises coming from transformers etc - if tube related how much heat they throw off - how hard they are on tubes - obviously sound performance and lastly resale value.

Could be a very costly venture because Jeff is raving about this new model of Cessaro speakers he will be showing along with being driven by a pair of TW 300b 8watt mono blocks that he says is a great match with my current speakers but a match made in heaven for these Wagner speakers.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Does the topic starter assume that low wattage sounds better on efficient speakers then high wattage ,i think the whole low wattage amp " belong/sounds best " to / on efficient speakers and vice versa is wrong assumption as a whole, who invented it anyone knows ???

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Does the topic starter assume that low wattage sounds better on efficient speakers then high wattage ,i think the whole low wattage amp " belong/sounds best " to / on efficient speakers and vice versa is wrong assumption as a whole, who invented it anyone knows ???

No

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

From Wiki
"In 1929, Western Electric entered as a market competitor for early cinema sound systems. It created the Western Electric Universal Base, a device by which early silent cinema projectors could be adapted to screen sound films. Western Electric designed a wide-audio-range horn loudspeaker for cinemas. This was estimated to be nearly 50% efficient, thus allowing a cinema to be filled with sound from a 3-watt amplifier. This was an important breakthrough in 1929 because high-powered audio valves (tubes) were not generally available."

What we should be asking is who started the high wattage, low efficiency 'scam'. This just paved the way to where we are now with stratospheric pricing of audiophile products.

Blue58

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What we should be asking is who started the high wattage, low efficiency 'scam'.

This would be a good topic for a thread of it's own but if my understanding of audio history is correct, it was stereo that was the principle push towards smaller/lower efficiency loudspeakers. The power needed to drive these followed.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
This would be a good topic for a thread of it's own but if my understanding of audio history is correct, it was stereo that was the principle push towards smaller/lower efficiency loudspeakers. The power needed to drive these followed.

It was the transistor. Cheap power means lower efficiency speakers are now feasible.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing