Best DIY planar drivers

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Who sells the best planers drivers for DIY purposes. .?

Al

All the DIY planars that I have seen were completely built from scratch. I'm not aware of kits of any real size. That's probably because it would be super easy to violate a Magnepan patent, and Magnepan takes such matters seriously. The Magnepan vs Apogee case was a good example of that.

Anyway, there is a seller in Birmingham who can supply almost any magnet you can imagine. That would be the hardest of the parts acquisition, wouldn't it?

Quite a few people are buying Magnepan speakers on the used market, and seriously modifying them with stellar results. There's no law that says you can't combine multiple old pairs into a new state of the art beast. Of course, they'll sound like crap in the end unless you move up to vinyl. ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
B&G and FPS (Japan) come to mind.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
What I am looking for is smaller individual units like the infinity Emins or the monsoon drivers .

Al

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What I am looking for is smaller individual units like the infinity Emins or the monsoon drivers .

Al

See above. Dai-ichi also makes similar drivers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Anytime Al :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing