Best Classic European Sports Car

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
For me it's a toss up between the Ferrari GTO and Jag XKE roadster. For looks the Jag gets the nod otherwise GTO. Pity the things are way out of my league.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
For me its the Ferrari 275 GTB four cam, Dino 246GT and the Daytona 365GTB. But for something I can afford the 76 308GTB fiberglass .

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

The original bodies were European...does that count?

Tim

S T E V E

Jul 29, 2013
Sorry to dig up this old thread but these are cars that i can get my hands on ;)

1956 MERCEDES BENZ 300 SL GULLWING COUPE
1969 Ferrari GTC Coupe
1972 MASERATI GHIBLI SS 4.9L
1994 JAGUAR XK 220

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Sorry to dig up this old thread but these are cars that i can get my hands on ;)

1956 MERCEDES BENZ 300 SL GULLWING COUPE
1969 Ferrari GTC Coupe
1972 MASERATI GHIBLI SS 4.9L
1994 JAGUAR XK 220

are they in your collection?

S T E V E

Jul 29, 2013
No Sir i wish :)
Those are for sale from Private Collectors and i can get them for anyone who interested.
Please PM me if wanting more infos.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The Lamborghini Muira, Ferrari 275GTB Short nose,Maserati Europa,and 427SC Twin Supercharged Cobra. There are so many others,the Jag XKE convertible,Aston DB4 and I always drooled over the Ferrari 250LM and Lusso. When I was about 7 years old my Mom was driving on the bayshore freeway and a long side drove a silver Lusso,I was forever ruined at that moment.

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
Steve brought up the 365 GTB, so a 365 story. Summer of 1976 I was hanging at Griswold and Company, the Alfa / Ferrari dealership in Berkeley CA.

In comes a wrecked 365 GTB...... and the restoration shop sees possibilities. A couple communities away in Vallejo is a wrecked gold Chevy Vega Wagon. Off comes the back of the GTB, replaced with a chopped and channeled Vega Wagon rear.

When the boys at the Griswold shop had finished their magic, it was as the hand of Enzo with the help of Farina had made it just so.

Griswold is long gone, but the talent is still at work across the bay at Phil Riley and Co. Phil Riley and Ross Cummings and team are still at it.

Cyclotronguy

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
There are some significant vintage Ferraris coming up for sale at Pebble this year, including a NART spyder and a 375 MM.
My suspicion is that these sellers are trying to get ahead of the current bubble before it pops. Vintage Ferrari prices have gone through the roof in the last decade. That 330 GTC (the one pictured above is actually a 365 GTC- which is rarer) was a great classic Ferrari that, not so long ago, didn't cost an arm and a leg.
There are so many wonderful cars- I too like the 30's french bodied cars, including the work of Georges Paulin. Love the original Bentleys from W.O. and some of the later Derby 'specials.' Early Lambos are pretty gorgeous, Miura and the Countach periscopa. (Dig the Espada too, just because it is so ungainly). The Gullwing is gorgeous, but an ergonomic sweatbox. Dig the early 911's, including the SWB, and even have love for the softroof Targa. Cars I dig but would never own- the A-M Lagonda from the 70's-80's. Jags- aside from the prewar SS, I really like the 140 DHC and the first iteration of the E-type- 3.8, flat floor, outside hood latch. (The coupe has better lines IMO than the roadster). I guess if I was forced to choose a couple that are unobtainium, it would be a Bugatti open-wheel racer from the 30's and a 250 SWB (I never got why the 250 GTO is so revered).
All of course, my personal taste, your mileage may vary. :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
PS The Nart spider mentioned above just sold for 27.5. Million. (Well, there are only ten of them, Steve McQueen drove one in the Thomas Crown Affair and later owned one, Luigi Chinetti was responsible for getting the small handful made, since Enzo could have cared less, etc., etc. The one that sold had been a single family owned car since new).

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
yep; the 66' 4.2 was very quick and had an intoxicating growl; however it had a 4 speed and a 3.54 rear axel ratio so you would run out of RPM's at 120 MPH.....but still have lots of power to go much faster. the European versions had a much lower (or maybe higher would be more accurate) ratio and would do 150 MPH+.

for pure sex appeal my earlier Austin Healey 100-6 was even more rolling art and sound; but it was a terrible design mechanically.
Can you imagine I am reading what you wrote 12 years ago. It is amazing I dont even know you that long but can talk to you like the chat is just happening. I wish I have the E-type like you and Steve. I doubt I would let go of it even if I didnt know it would become today's precious though. I have been hunting for it but couldnt get the owner to sell the one I have my eyes on since 25 yrs ago. Still waiting. I like Jag for their the glamorous curve. Here is my Big Healey. It is the only one in Thailand.

BDDF44A9-E1A2-4FF9-AEBB-67FA1F3B2481.jpeg

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Can you imagine I am reading what you wrote 12 years ago. It is amazing I dont even know you that long but can talk to you like the chat is just happening. I wish I have the E-type like you and Steve. I doubt I would let go of it even if I didnt know it would become today's precious though. I have been hunting for it but couldnt get the owner to sell the one I have my eyes on since 25 yrs ago. Still waiting. I like Jag for their the glamorous curve. Here is my Big Healey. It is the only one in Thailand.

View attachment 98587

Nice Healey! Speaking of Jaguar and curves brought back memories. A neighbour who's since moved on had a C type in red, just like the attached picture. Glorious to see roar in and out of the village. Before he left his son had started driving it :eek:

C type.png

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Maserati Shamal

326 HP 3.2 liter V8 Twin turbo. Tons of fun.

Less than 400 made

1664803134811.png

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
BMW E9 sharknose 3.0 csi a little deeper h&r suspension. My dream too expensive:(
BMW-E9-3.0-CSi-HR-Fahrwerk-BBS-RS-Staggered-13.jpg

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I had a MkI Ford Capri and then a MkII just like this one, same colour. Still think it’s a great design, Britains answer to the Mustang.
4A19FE8C-5238-4F5E-865C-2430DC4953EE.jpeg

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
PS The Nart spider mentioned above just sold for 27.5. Million. (Well, there are only ten of them, Steve McQueen drove one in the Thomas Crown Affair and later owned one, Luigi Chinetti was responsible for getting the small handful made, since Enzo could have cared less, etc., etc. The one that sold had been a single family owned car since new).
As usual, I am late to the show. I have to give the late Eddie Smith's family all the credit in the world for donating 100% of the proceeds to various charities in North Carolina. Have grown up in an orphanage, Eddie always remembered his roots and never failed to pay it forward. As for the car, I never thought a picture didi it justice. To see it in person, that was a real treat.

Reactions: christoph

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Maserati Shamal

326 HP 3.2 liter V8 Twin turbo. Tons of fun.

Less than 400 made

View attachment 98595
Shamal is a beast. Really beautiful There are very few in Thailand. ddk used to own one when he lived here. They are headache to live with though. The 3.0 CSI that @DasguteOhr posted is another car I want to restore. The proportion is beautiful like my Daimler Sovereign Coupe.

Reactions: ddk and DasguteOhr

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Shamal is a beast. Really beautiful There are very few in Thailand. ddk used to own one when he lived here. They are headache to live with though. The 3.0 CSI that @DasguteOhr posted is another car I want to restore. The proportion is beautiful like my Daimler Sovereign Coupe.
I used to own a 1993 430 4V (one of only 192) so I know both the joy and pain of biturbo ownership. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing