Best audiophile headphones

Should I Choose Audeze el8 Titanium or Focal Elegia?

• Total voters

mm0419

Jun 18, 2021
Audeze el8 Titanium or Focal Elegia...which are more enjoyable? Is the el8 too heavy on the head? Are the highs in the Elegia fatiguing? Which has the better soundstage?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
WBF is not the best place for top level headphone feedback. few here will have any idea of what you are talking about.

the place you want to ask that question is "Headfi", on the High End 'Summit' forum. they are serious about headphone performance. here is a link;

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yeah, do what Mike says... besides, I would have chosen something else!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah, do what Mike says... besides, I would have chosen something else!
Hey Bruce...let me guess...Abyss 1266 with all the trimmings? I think at least you owned that at one point?

Reactions: K3RMIT

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, I hear most about Susvara, the Stax 009 and new 009, as well as the big Abyss. For the next tier, I read often about Dan Clark Stealth, Audeze LCD5/CRBN, and personally, I have spent time reading about the Meze. Personally, I am pretty much decided after the HD800S triggered some low-grade tinnitus to go with the Meze Empyrean though I will take my time on the decision. The closest I understand I can come to a high performance Senn HD650 without going the other way towards the Senn Orpheus.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have said enough about the
HD800S. There remaims the closed back option which I have not heard

Like speakers I have found amplification is extremely important.

And I have no ability to rank hem. But if you have $10k laying around don't buy anything until you have heard the StaxSR9a/Blue Hawaii combo. It's a revelation.

Reactions: eskamobob1

GertSterlingSilver

Aug 12, 2016
Netherlands
I'd definately reccomend auditioning the headphones first, personal preference can matter so much.
I prefer HD-25's and Amperiors over my HD650's, HD599's and AKG K501's, although the K501 really comes close backed with some solid source/amplification.
And yes thats an on-ear headphone designed for dj use that I prefer.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
For midrange purity I like Grado. The PS1000e is what I listen to most. I also love Audeze. Their IEMs are incredible.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
We need to change that
no we don't. having the occasional general headphone thread is completely different than having a thread for every conceivable headphone product with tons of activity on every thread. the headphone community is many factors greater than all of the high end community combined. just look at the classified section at head-fi, and the level of activity. it's a beehive.

the bar set by Head-fi is impossibly high for high end headphone discussion. it dramatically dwarfs all of WBF combined in activity. there are thousands of people on head-fi owning multiples of top headphones and headphone amps focused on that stuff.

they do what they do, and we do what we do. i know where i go to get up to the minute headphone info. it's never going to be WBF. and i'm pretty bought in around here. we just need to do what we do in the best way we can. answers for many headphone questions, or home theater questions, should be referred to forums where those agendas are best examined. that serves our members best. yes; we have members that know about those things, but not the depth of activity to fully answer questions and help the member completely. here those topics will get answers, but not scrutiny and depth. not enough relevant eyes on it.

when i'm on other forums i refer some type questions to WBF for that person to get the most helpful answers. because we are the best for many topics. our culture is my favorite by far and aligns best with my perspectives.

just my 2 cents. i don't speak for anyone but me.

Last edited:

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A, you may use your speaker amp to drive the Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Well Mike my goal was to increase the level of knowledge of the members. Whether they consult internal or external references or for that matter how in depth they want to go is of no matter to me.
Edit i just joined the site

Last edited:

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Yes, I hear most about Susvara, the Stax 009 and new 009, as well as the big Abyss. For the next tier, I read often about Dan Clark Stealth, Audeze LCD5/CRBN, and personally, I have spent time reading about the Meze. Personally, I am pretty much decided after the HD800S triggered some low-grade tinnitus to go with the Meze Empyrean though I will take my time on the decision. The closest I understand I can come to a high performance Senn HD650 without going the other way towards the Senn Orpheus.
I owned the famed Orpheus for a while
it is a well rounded headphone
being a closed can I feel have it a warmer tone by adding low freq sounds
the second coming was also very good
but was heavy and got warm on your head
if you are sensitive to some freq you might try a little eq to help.
to me the 800s killed the sound of the 800. there are many mods some used to attain an 800s sound before they made the 800s. how we hear is a very varied thing

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
You can’t have a headphone Section here
no one will allow cheaper products to be great
just look at the pics here in this thread
I could name many cheaper phones but would get ignored for new 5k and above ones.
Who here has gone to any headfi meets ?
when at shows checks out the headphone displays ?
i do and see some really good stuff there
but the line is always long on the new high price remake of last years flagship
it’s sad but this place here is great
but it’s its level of inches not sound
look at me mine is ten times more expensive then yours it must be better
the headphone market is based on new now not great past
on headfi one can get reviews from owners not makers who get reviewers to make it great
so while I see your point i can’t see how it happens here
just saying aloud what most think

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A, you may use your speaker amp to drive the Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A.
I heard them great planners reminded me of hifiman he6 phones
very hard to drive but when you did it was amazing
a few things odd on them I felt
one is the maker sells upfront replacement drivers and odd things to put out upfront
the open type that can be adjusted makes for the most realistic stage of most phones
but they lacked really fast transients
was great until I picked out some tracks to hear what I read like stax are really fast at this but lack the decay
the sennhisers may color a but have true decay
let’s see how fast I get bashed for saying this hahahaha

Reactions: Klonk

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
I heard them great planners reminded me of hifiman he6 phones
very hard to drive but when you did it was amazing
a few things odd on them I felt
one is the maker sells upfront replacement drivers and odd things to put out upfront
the open type that can be adjusted makes for the most realistic stage of most phones
but they lacked really fast transients
was great until I picked out some tracks to hear what I read like stax are really fast at this but lack the decay
the sennhisers may color a but have true decay
let’s see how fast I get bashed for saying this hahahaha
I have heard or owned most top end headphones, however I never had a chance to listen to the Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A. But just like the he6 phones or the Mysphere headphones, which I own right now, can be connected to a speaker amps.
Regarding selling replacement drivers for the Raal hp, I didn't know that, seems quite strange.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing