Best and Worst store set up's heard

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
The worst Mac set up I heard in a store was near Lansing, Michigan about five years ago. They had some of the big tube amps hooked up to some self-bass powered speakers. The flaw in the system however was using a McIntosh DVD multi-player to play CD's with. The beginning of each note seemed to be missing. There was the full bloom middle part of the note which tube amps get right, and the ending of the note which SS amps get right, but there just was no start or beginning which SS also gets right most of the time.

The best set up in a store was with B&W 801 speakers in West Bloomfield, MI about eight years ago. The sound was cranked up all the way by some young customer. I thought that I could dive into the waves of music flowing towards me like some body surfer. It was somehow fulfilling, like a good wine with a fabulous meal. I don't recall if it the system was tube or SS powered, somehow it mattered little.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Best Wison Audio
Worst WIlosn Audio

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
What about these consumer electronic shows held in hotel rooms?

I keep reading how bad they are, however most rooms at a local show held in Novi, Michigan impressed me greatly.

Wilson's must be difficult to set up, I've never been impressed the few times I've heard them in stores.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Best set-up was the Magnepan 20.1R powered by a huge Classe Omega SS amp through Metronome digital.
I had asked to listen Cassandra Wilson singing "Strange fruit" (all time favorite) and i was in trans...as most of the people
attending the same room.When the song ended half the people shook my hand and took a note on the CD title ... including
the man responsible for the set up!
Worst disappointment was last year when auditioning the KEF Muon with Theta amplification and Esoteric digital front.
Lifeless and completely uninvolving...someone has messed up something, big time!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Dunlavy Audio Labs demo at CES the year AFTER John Dunlavy was out of the company. It's really hard to screw up the sound of those speakers but they managed to do so in two different rooms. Another high mark for bad demo was at a dealer in Florida (don't recall the name) of both the Wilson Alexandra and the Maxx II. VERY cool looking demo rooms and very BAD sound.

Actually the BEST demo I ever heard was at a dealer in Nashville years and years and years ago (probably 1993 or so) with the Wilson Grand Slamm. Everything locked in and I immediately bought a pair of Wilson's as a result.

The most "real" demo I ever heard was in Singapore at some high end shop with Maggie 20's and huge ARC tube amps. Never before or since have I heard a piano recording sound like that!

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I went to the AK-Fest in Novi, Michigan on Saturday, a few more to add to the Best & Worst at a show list.

The McIntosh setup was one of the better ones in my opinion. However the speakers were so expensive they had to price them as "each" and not as "pairs". One of those if you have to ask then you can't afford it experiences, $10,000 for one speaker, ouch.

Almost 40 photos, but less than fair quality.
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x295/kach22i/AK-FEST 2010/

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
However the speakers were so expensive they had to price them as "each" and not as "pairs". One of those if you have to ask then you can't afford it experiences, $10,000 for one speaker, ouch.

Wow they are good though. I luv mine. Best speaker I have ever owned.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
One of the best set-ups I've heard is in a local shop here - an iMac full of lossless files feeding some high-end SS DAC/pre/amp stack (sorry, memory fails) driving Wilson Sophias. The gear is good, but it's the set-up that really makes it. They've dedicated a small, well-treated room to that one system and tweaked speaker placement beautifully.

P

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Best- Avalon/Rowland/VTL - Mexico City Avalon dealer
Worst - Wilson/Levinson - Miami Wilson distributor

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My best in-store would be the original Revel Studio with all levinson gear, IIRC No32 pre, No432 amp, No 390s CDP. The components seemed made for each other, well I think they were, and the speakers fit the showroom to a "t".

The worst? I don't know any local dealers who have screwed up anything so badly so as to be especially memorable.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I've heard some great in-store demo's. One of the better ones was many years ago featuring a stacked pair of Quad ESL's. These were driven by Marantz 9's along with an ARC SP10Mk2 and an Oracle front end. VERY impressive, especially on vocals and piano.
One of the worst I have heard involved the RedRose speakers from Mark Levinson...can't remember the model, except it was a small monitor and had a ribbon tweeter. Oddly, it was hooked up to Valhalla cable and a very nice amp and pre-amp; just really sounded like a cat's squeal on everything... unlistenable!:eek: I noticed that these very same speakers were reviewed in Absolute Sound a few months later and were slammed.( Justifiably so, I couldn't believe that anyone would buy them at any price).:(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing