Ben Harper-white lies for dark times

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
OK, so it was released 3 years ago. So, he's not even playing with that band right now. And yeah, he's a 'roots' kinda guy, not necessarily a hard rocker. Anybody here that has heard this and hasn't just loved it?
Killer distorted 'steel' guitar, with fresh writing, a back-up band that's got the Led Zep sound, and something that reminds you why certain albums just deserved to be played LOUD

and yes, it is on vinyl, two records.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
OK, so it was released 3 years ago. So, he's not even playing with that band right now. And yeah, he's a 'roots' kinda guy, not necessarily a hard rocker. Anybody here that has heard this and hasn't just loved it?
Killer distorted 'steel' guitar, with fresh writing, a back-up band that's got the Led Zep sound, and something that reminds you why certain albums just deserved to be played LOUD

and yes, it is on vinyl, two records.

Wow dude, you are impressing me. I own the whole Harper discog. This was a good album. I don't think there is a weak record in his portfolio. I do disagree about the premise that he is primarily a roots rocker. I think he mines blues, psychedelia, freak folk, grunge, and funk effortlessly. Might be one of the top 10 under appreciated musicians of our time.

We have so many great artists right under the public's noses and yet we hear moaning and groaning about how "music is dead".

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Wow dude, you are impressing me. I own the whole Harper discog. This was a good album. I don't think there is a weak record in his portfolio. I do disagree about the premise that he is primarily a roots rocker. I think he mines blues, psychedelia, freak folk, grunge, and funk effortlessly. Might be one of the top 10 under appreciated musicians of our time.

We have so many great artists right under the public's noses and yet we hear moaning and groaning about how "music is dead".
It probably has more to do with what winds up getting popular, much of it not really of great or lasting value and folks not necessarily going to the trouble of getting out there and hearing bands. You are probably right about the (mis)characterization on my part. Here's my list for the next couple weeks: a few nights ago, Robert Gordon, with my buddy, Rob Stoner, on bass.
Thursday, Bill Kirchen.
Next week, Terry Reid.
After that, it's that Leslie West, Johnny Winter show.
Then I go to Austin for a couple days.
I like small clubs best.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
It probably has more to do with what winds up getting popular, much of it not really of great or lasting value and folks not necessarily going to the trouble of getting out there and hearing bands. You are probably right about the (mis)characterization on my part. Here's my list for the next couple weeks: a few nights ago, Robert Gordon, with my buddy, Rob Stoner, on bass.
Thursday, Bill Kirchen.
Next week, Terry Reid.
I like small clubs best.

Quite a line up there! I'm seeing Norah tomorrow night.

I love cubs. I have not been to an arena concert since U2 in 2004.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Quite a line up there! I'm seeing Norah tomorrow night.

I love cubs. I have not been to an arena concert since U2 in 2004.

Where is she playing? I've really grown to enjoy her, she got overplayed at first (hey, that's success, right?), but she's very talented.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Where is she playing? I've really grown to enjoy her, she got overplayed at first (hey, that's success, right?), but she's very talented.

Copley Symphony Hall, downtown San Diego.

As far as overplayed, for me no one is over played. I never listen to the radio or watch music video channels.

I could write pages about why I think she is just fantastic
in so many ways.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Copley Symphony Hall, downtown San Diego.

As far as overplayed, for me no one is over played. I never listen to the radio or watch music video channels.

I could write pages about why I think she is just fantastic
in so many ways.
You should.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Lol..don't tempt me.

Well, I have too much Tennis Chanel to watch.

Plus too many CDs still in the shrink wrap! Plus twp speaker write ups on tap.

Check out another local NYC band...Antibalas.
thanks for the tip those aren't the greek heavy metal guys, are they?- just checked, not even close :)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
thanks for the tip those aren't the greek heavy metal guys, are they?- just checked, not even close :)

New York's premiere AfroBeat band! They combine funk, jazz, and afro beat into an amazing stew. All live instruments, like
Fela Kuti. They are amazing live.

I believe they are playing a show with Sharon Jones & the DapKings in Brooklyn soon.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
New York's premiere AfroBeat band! They combine funk, jazz, and afro beat into an amazing stew. All live instruments, like

I believe they are playing a show with Sharon Jones & the DapKings in Brooklyn soon.

cool. Heard sharon and the kings several months ago at tarrytown. she's a ball of energy, reminded me of somebody else, i can't remember who, from decades ago, same moves. the band was way too loud, no dynamic contrast - everything was on "11" the whole time. I dig that sound, but they didn't do it for me, in part because you couldn't hear her, and they basically overloaded the room. maybe you can blame it on the sound guy, but by contrast, when i saw etta live (at carnegie hall no less), the band was 'just right'- they weren't competing with the singer. ( I really liked the bandleader in the dapkings though- he had that great announcer's voice, and had real presence on the stage).

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

Also, ever catch Alexis P Suter? Damn!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
cool. Heard sharon and the kings several months ago at tarrytown. she's a ball of energy, reminded me of somebody else, i can't remember who, from decades ago, same moves. the band was way too loud, no dynamic contrast - everything was on "11" the whole time. I dig that sound, but they didn't do it for me, in part because you couldn't hear her, and they basically overloaded the room. maybe you can blame it on the sound guy, but by contrast, when i saw etta live (at carnegie hall no less), the band was 'just right'- they weren't competing with the singer. ( I really liked the bandleader in the dapkings though- he had that great announcer's voice, and had real presence on the stage).

That is a shame. Their records are recorded to analog meticulously and do not suffer from compression.

Maybe a bad PA or an incompetent engineer?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
That is a shame. Their records are recorded to analog meticulously and do not suffer from compression.

Maybe a bad PA or an incompetent engineer?
Dunno, have heard plenty of acts in that room that sounded fine. they were just too LOUD!

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Thursday, Bill Kirchen.
Next week, Terry Reid.
I like small clubs best.

Whart, I like your music/performer choices! Where do you typically go in Austin? I like the really laid back places, with plenty of seating like Lucky's Lounge on W.5th and Saxon Pub on S. Lamar.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Whart, I like your music/performer choices! Where do you typically go in Austin? I like the really laid back places, with plenty of seating like Lucky's Lounge on W.5th and Saxon Pub on S. Lamar.

Geez- i really don't know all the places yet, we (well, more like me) picked it as the best place for our next stage of life.
We were down in December, and I am supposed to be there in around the 20th of Aug for a couple days (but i've been sick, so i may not travel)- we spent some time in the Continental which i really liked; we checked out alot of 6th st clubs, but most of those seemed like college kid puke on the sidewalk places. part of my mission will be to explore, we (my wife and I) both really like going out to hear live music in small club settings and since my next stage of life is a combination of music biz/tech, the whole scene is just ideal. I'm gonna teach parttime at UT law in the copyright area, do some consulting, and probably rep some talent on the songwriting side, along with doing 'content' deals and the like- which is what i did in my law career in NYC.
I'd be glad to hook up at some point once we are there. shoot me a PM and i'll be glad to share contact info.
Best,

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The good music is under our noses, under the radar. But there's a ton of it in a bunch of genres. You just won't hear any of it listening to the radio. But find one thing you really like, then go to Pandora or Spotify, get over you high-end high horse, create a radio station based on the first artist and you'll find a half dozen more in no time.

The last thing that was overplayed for me was Hotel California. No radio, no pop music listening very effectively avoids "overplayed." And I'd rather take a beating than go to a stadium show. There are some artists I love that I haven't seen in years because I hate stadium shows so much.

Tim

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
The good music is under our noses, under the radar. But there's a ton of it in a bunch of genres. You just won't hear any of it listening to the radio. But find one thing you really like, then go to Pandora or Spotify, get over you high-end high horse, create a radio station based on the first artist and you'll find a half dozen more in no time.

The last thing that was overplayed for me was Hotel California. No radio, no pop music listening very effectively avoids "overplayed." And I'd rather take a beating than go to a stadium show. There are some artists I love that I haven't seen in years because I hate stadium shows so much.

Tim
Pretty much amen to all of that. It's sorta like having a 'no stairway to heaven' sign on your t-shirt. and stadiums? Yuck.
I did go to Madison Sq garden a few years ago to hear clapton-winwood, only because they were doing alot of the Blind Faith stuff and what'sisname (chris stainton?) was playing with them. just the logistics were frightening, let alone the acoustics, although, interestingly, we sat in a box and perhaps because of the side walls, it was better than being out on the floor or in the stands on the sides.
we also made the trek to london to hear led zep play for the Ahmet Ertegün memorial. they played well, I like jason bonham, and the audience was a hoot. the back of the main floor at 02 was an open space, no seats, reserved, i guess for the air guitar dudes. everytime page launched into a lead, there were 50-100 dudes down there imitating him. it was hilarious.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Pretty much amen to all of that. It's sorta like having a 'no stairway to heaven' sign on your t-shirt. and stadiums? Yuck.
I did go to Madison Sq garden a few years ago to hear clapton-winwood, only because they were doing alot of the Blind Faith stuff and what'sisname (chris stainton?) was playing with them. just the logistics were frightening, let alone the acoustics, although, interestingly, we sat in a box and perhaps because of the side walls, it was better than being out on the floor or in the stands on the sides.
we also made the trek to london to hear led zep play for the Ahmet Ertegün memorial. they played well, I like jason bonham, and the audience was a hoot. the back of the main floor at 02 was an open space, no seats, reserved, i guess for the air guitar dudes. everytime page launched into a lead, there were 50-100 dudes down there imitating him. it was hilarious.

The band I play in currently does a very broad interpretation of Americana, really just whatever American roots music we want to play, including a couple of Allman Brothers tunes. Play "Trouble No More" and some smart fellow in the audience is allways compelled to yell "Freebird!!!!" Our standard answer is requests are free, Freebird is 100 bucks. Gets a laugh every time, but we're very fortunate. So far, the people who come to see us have pretty sophisticated tastes. We can, and do, throw a verse "I'll Take You There" into the middle of "Franklin's Tower" and it is both recognized and appreciated. And nobody seriously requests Freebird. Not so far anyway. :)

Oh and by the way, if you love music in clubs, in a point of shameless self-promotion I'd recommend stepping down to bars! Even here in tobacco-centric NC they're smoke-free now. We're finding plenty of places to play where the music is a bit...old school?...and the crowds are age mixed up to middle age. And I don't care if they are "cover bands" (Elvis didn't write his own material, how come that wasn't a "cover band?"), find a local bar band that takes a broad cut across a genre, re-interprets liberally and throws it out into a room and you've got big fun.

I like a really good bar band as much as about any music-listening experience out there.

Tim

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
The band I play in currently does a very broad interpretation of Americana, really just whatever American roots music we want to play, including a couple of Allman Brothers tunes. Play "Trouble No More" and some smart fellow in the audience is allways compelled to yell "Freebird!!!!" Our standard answer is requests are free, Freebird is 100 bucks. Gets a laugh every time, but we're very fortunate. So far, the people who come to see us have pretty sophisticated tastes. We can, and do, throw a verse "I'll Take You There" into the middle of "Franklin's Tower" and it is both recognized and appreciated. And nobody seriously requests Freebird. Not so far anyway. :)

Tim
The Freebird thing is an insult. Wasn't it on a Joni Mitchell album (Miles of Aisles) that she went off on somebody for yelling it?
I was at a show a couple years ago when somebody did that. The performer-Sarah Borges- stopped everything, and ripped into the person, explaining that it was an insult.
I gave her credit for that. She's also terrific, don't know if you've ever heard her- professionally trained singer/actress, who leads a psycho-billy band- great voice, great stage presence. She's out of Boston, but used to be on the road quite a bit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing