Beer Batter Recipe for Fish & Chips!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here is the single best recipe for a beer batter to use when making this English staple. It is from the C.I.A. cookbook called "The Professional Chef". I've tried different ones, but this one has become my only choice.

Beer Batter

1 1/4 cup of All-purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 large Egg (separated)
1 standard bottle of beer

Sift dry ingredients into an appropriately sized vessel
Add the Yolk of the separated egg and of course the beer.
Whisk until smooth

Whisk the Egg White to Soft Peaks and FOLD into the batter.

Refrigerate for about a half-hour

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Are you using Halibut or what other kind of fish

I prefer Halibut, but the traditional fish of choice I beleive is Cod.

Also, when buying fish for this, buy it fresh from a Fish monger...DO NOT use frozen. Also, make sure the fish is DRY. If it isn't, the batter won't properly adhere. So get lots of paper towels ready and repeat the drying process with them several times.

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks John. We have to try it.

Around here, if you go and order fish and chips, the default is Cod. Unfortunately the code they use is paper thin so you only taste the breading. In UK, you get cod that is meaty and flavorful. So I always get Halibut.

Here, they also make it with Salmon but I think that tastes terrible. You don't want oily fish in the middle.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks John. We have to try it.

Around here, if you go and order fish and chips, the default is Cod. Unfortunately the code they use is paper thin so you only taste the breading. In UK, you get cod that is meaty and flavorful. So I always get Halibut.

Here, they also make it with Salmon but I think that tastes terrible. You don't want oily fish in the middle.

Hence my strong suggestion that you buy from a Fish Monger or Fishmonger (yeah, that's the one). The Cod/Halibut shoud be 3/4"-1" thick or thicker, if possible.

Also, don't worry about deep-frying the fish and then the French Fries in the same oil. As long as its cooked at the proper temp (about 400) there is nothing to concern yourself with. Your deep-fried veggies won't have a fishy taste.

My deep-fry oil of preference is Peanut Oil.

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This makes me think of something. We need a thread on good deep fryers. They all seem to be built to low price, sacrificing temperature stability. My wife is too afraid to use an open burner and heat oil ourselves. In the new house, we have induction cooktop so hope to give that a try as a somewhat safer alternative (although it also has enough power to set the oil on fire).

What do you use John for deep frying?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I use the stove-top method Amir, after I decided that sealed deep-fryers didn't allow me to judge for doneness. Also, with battered fish, I want the ability to turn the fish over. With French Fries I want to stir them around every other minute or so. These are just personal preferences that work for me.

I use a 9-litre Paderno Stock pot (my favourite brand of cookware) and pour in 2 litres of Peanut Oil. This is a very safe method, but since it is a stove-top method one should always be there to watch in case.

John

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Amir, I am again fascinated by how you judge your purchases by merit instead of custom, or price. Our house has gas pipes running all over in the basement ceiling, and also all the next two level's ceilings, but we elected to go induction as well. We have never felt lacking. The cooktop holds a fine constant heat.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing