Battle of the giants! Taiko vs Antipodes etc

grandsoir

Dec 28, 2020
Thanks for all your feedback.

I will audition the Pink Faun in a few weeks and will try Taiko next week. I´m not sure if its worth to try Pachanko as well but I will try to find the higher model. The one I saw was the Constellation Mini SE

My speakers will be very transparent, but not thin etc. They are VERY special and cant be bought outside of Sweden. The "sound" that I am after is dynamic, fast, pleasent, warm, musical. A connection to the music and not the typical "hi-fi" sound. I hate throwing those words out there but I know people know what I mean ;)

Last edited:

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020

I will audition the Pink Faun in a few weeks and will try Taiko next week. I´m not sure if its worth to try Pachanko as well but I will try to find the higher model. The one I saw was the Constellation Mini SE

My speakers will be very transparent, but not thin etc. They are VERY special and cant be bought outside of Sweden. The "sound" that I am after is dynamic, fast, pleasent, warm, musical. A connection to the music and not the typical "hi-fi" sound. I hate throwing those words out there but I know people know what I mean ;)
I think you will like Lucas audiolab servers. Hälsningar från Sv

Reactions: keithc

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020

keithc

Dec 31, 2022

Please indulge us in a photo of said speakers so we can celebrate with you :)

Best wishes on your search of a great music server!

Reactions: lordcloud

JanneW

Feb 22, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
www.warnhoffaudio.com
Taiko Extreme is a good server, but the ultimate one is perhaps the WADAX server…

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Taiko Extreme is a good server, but the ultimate one is perhaps the WADAX server…
To say the least, to have a TOL Wadax server and DAC with their Akasa cable and a Taiko Extreme with XDMS, proprietary Taiko switch and router in the same system for a few days of “contrast & compare” would be a peak experience. That said there is a gent on this forum with an impressive audio system (and great ears to boot) who had the Taiko Extreme for awhile, sold it, went to the Wadax system mentioned above, and ultimately sold that and went back to the Taiko server. He is quite happy with his “ultimate” choice. As “they” say, YMMV!

Last edited:
Reactions: Armsan

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Talking about server/streamer I’m wondering if anybody out there ever did comparisons between top of the class Taiko/Pink Faun and Innuos Statement Next Gen. I own the ladder and am curious about the sonic differences and quality in general I’d expect to find looking a few steps “upstairs”

I’m not in the market for a new server at the moment but I’d like to try them in my system, and it’s not easy to arrange a home audition of Taiko or Pink Faun here in Italy. So I’m just starting to collect infos here and there before moving my first steps into a new rabbit hole (again).

On my horizon maybe a DAC upgrade (MSB Reference vs actual Premiere) could be a better idea than a Server upgrade. Any thoughts?

TIA

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
JanneW said:
JanneW said:
To say the least, to have a TOL Wadax server and DAC with their Akasa cable and a Taiko Extreme with XDMS, proprietary Taiko switch and router in the same system for a few days of “contrast & compare” would be a peak experience. That said there is a gent on this forum with an impressive audio system (and great ears to boot) who had the Taiko Extreme for awhile, sold it, went to the Wadax system mentioned above, and ultimately sold that and went back to the Taiko server. He is quite happy with his “ultimate” choice. As “they” say, YMMV!
Wow...now that is interesting...the first time I have read this. Please let us know how your own comparison of Taiko v Wadax goes. What DAC are you using for Taiko...Wadax as well I presume? As for the other audiophile whose chose Wadax over Taiko after auditioning both...only to go BACK to Takio, what DAC did this person ultimately end up with? Curious if you know any more on that one.

NZS

Jan 27, 2023
Talking about server/streamer I’m wondering if anybody out there ever did comparisons between top of the class Taiko/Pink Faun and Innuos Statement Next Gen. I own the ladder and am curious about the sonic differences and quality in general I’d expect to find looking a few steps “upstairs”

I’m not in the market for a new server at the moment but I’d like to try them in my system, and it’s not easy to arrange a home audition of Taiko or Pink Faun here in Italy. So I’m just starting to collect infos here and there before moving my first steps into a new rabbit hole (again).

On my horizon maybe a DAC upgrade (MSB Reference vs actual Premiere) could be a better idea than a Server upgrade. Any thoughts?

TIA
I have read in the past that the quality of the Server has more significance over the quality of the DAC.
Not to say, that a low resolution DAC will do justice to a high resolution server, it's a balance of the two leaning towards the server.
The train of thought is the DAC, no matter how good it is, can not retrieve or play what's missing if that makes sense.

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
Heard the Wadax and Pink Faun Ultra in a hifi show recently. The Wadax certainly has more physical presence as a player but I didn’t think in that particular setting sounded any better. Through Divin Moblesse speakers.

Both playing Roon which in itself is so poor so not really a real comparison

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France

Hej,
Just curious. What loudspeakers do you use? Brands?
Gunnar

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I can’t speak about Wadax but one of the best things about Taiko is that they are always innovating and very responsive to customers.
If Wadax uses only Roon, I would remove it from consideration simply based on this, as Roon as not great for ultra high quality playback.

With digital, everything matters, so I would start at the source and upgrade as/when possible — don’t forget vibration control and AC quality!

Reactions: 2ndLiner

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
My advice to anyone looking to purchase Wadax, Taiko, or really anything. Listen for yourself and pick what sounds best to you. The idea of people trying to tell others what is best is crazy.

Again, use forums, magazines, etc. to find out about products. Use YOUR ears to decide the product that is best for you.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
It’s not “crazy”- if there are clear differences then it may not make sense.
Also, there are so many variables when auditioning that drawing conclusions is not easy and unlikely to be accurate. Unless it’s auditioned in your system and your room, I don’t think there’s much point in auditioning.
Do your research, read, talk to owners.

You can significantly change the sound with a different router or vibration base, so it’s more about to customize to your system and needs. I’ve never auditioned anything at a dealer.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
It’s not “crazy”- if there are clear differences then it may not make sense.
Also, there are so many variables when auditioning that drawing conclusions is not easy and unlikely to be accurate. Unless it’s auditioned in your system and your room, I don’t think there’s much point in auditioning.
Do your research, read, talk to owners.

You can significantly change the sound with a different router or vibration base, so it’s more about to customize to your system and needs. I’ve never auditioned anything at a dealer.
You made my point. Listen for yourself and make the decision that is best for you. There is no way one person can tell another person what is best for them.

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
My advice to anyone looking to purchase Wadax, Taiko, or really anything. Listen for yourself and pick what sounds best to you. The idea of people trying to tell others what is best is crazy.

Again, use forums, magazines, etc. to find out about products. Use YOUR ears to decide the product that is best for you.
ALWAYS!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing