Battery power

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
There is a lot of talk about using a linear PSU to power your dedicated audio PC.
Will sound quality really improve?
I tried a simple test using my laptop.
Measure it using the AC adapter in place and do the same when running on battery only.

Running on AC

Running on battery

Obvious running on battery creates a lot of distortions
This is the power saving schema.
Better put it off.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Interesting.
But I fail to see what is the connection between a PC powered by a linear PSU and and a battery powered laptop.

In instrumentation, sometimes we prefer to use the laptops to get data and/or control systems powered by the batteries just to avoid ground loops.

Vincent Kars

Jul 1, 2010
Just a little experiment.
If a linear psu would improve sound quality compared with a switched, a battery powered one might do the same as a linear one (no switching).
So I used battery power to check if there was a difference.
There was.
The advice to disable power saving schemas does make sense.

Vincent Kars

Jul 1, 2010
The procedure was a very straight forward one.
Run RMAA with AC in place.
Remove AC and run RMAA with the same parameters.
Switched a couple of times between AC and battery with the same results.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
OK, thanks. The processor clock speed-stepping should not affect the DAC's clock, in theory, but obviously something has changed. I suppose it is possible the rails on the DAC were changed when running on batteries, but I would expect the on-board regulators to handle that. I wonder if RT operation is not as clean on batteries; more latency causing clock jitter? Or maybe the processing is simplified to save power, resulting in those lare signal skirts (though the harmonics appear clean). I wonder if the power supply is causing more noise/jitter when running on batteries (extra converters, etc. and more noise spikes nearer the audio band). Strange... - Don

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing