Back to basics with vinyl

Oldsalt66

Mar 12, 2021
I found this forum via google. I am a retiree looking to revisit audio on vinyl. Many years ago I had a Kenwood system and enjoyed listening to to my records when I was home. I gave the entire system to a friend as I found myself at sea more than inport. I want to get back into the audiophile world. I am computer literate. I am looking for some guidance on reacquainting myself with an old hobby. I need some recommendations for purchasing turntables etc.

Oldsalt66

Mar 12, 2021
Hi and welcome

Do you still have your records?

Do you have an audio system apart from the turntable?
Yes, I still have some of my old records. I have not purchased the turntable yet...still researching. Currently, I listen to my music on my Mac via iTunes. Need some advice...not really expensive though not cheap equipment either.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
A budget would help. Also expectations might be considered, as there is no such thing as good $400 turntable for example.

Oldsalt66

Mar 12, 2021
I was looking at the Denon Dp300, I believe that was the model. Seemed like an excellent purchase for around $400.00. As mentioned, I am not looking to spend a huge amount of $...I would allow myself around $2k. This would be the turntable, amp, and speakers. At my age, 72 in a couple of weeks, I don’t want to be excessive.
A budget would help. Also expectations might be considered, as there is no such thing as good $400 turntable for example.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
If you have an extremely tight budget like that, the only way to go is vintage. Vintage turntable like Thorens (Super, with a non-Thorens arm), Technics 1200, Micro Seiki, or something. Then get a vintage tube receiver, and some vintage speakers. https://audiokarma.org/ may be a better source for knowledge for you.

Not to say no one around here plays with cheap stuff, but in general there's a lot less cumulative experience here with it than AudioKarma.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Do you have a significan vinyl library? If not you may want to consider digital streaming.

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
Get a vintage table and a Pickering XSV 3000 and be happy! It will bring back memories.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Also look at JVC. I forget the model but people mod them with dampening materials and get great sound.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
With a million Pro-Ject Debut tables sold they must be doing something right. This Pro-Ject Debut Carbon looks interesting and you could match it to your choice color.

Last edited:

tedkaz

Jan 18, 2021
Theirs nothing wrong with the DP300 as a starter table, take baby steps. But you need to look at the entire system as a whole and what the objective is. You can get into a rabbit hole really quick without a clear objective.

Oldsalt66

Mar 12, 2021
Thank you all for your inputs, as mentioned in one of the above posts bringing back some memories is my main objective. At one time my collection was quite large. Over the years with all of the moves the collection has gotten smaller. Again thank you for your inputs as I now have an idea of the research involved. Just now waking up on my side of the world, living in Sasebo, Japan. Back in the day, speaking 50 years ago, this was where much of the stereo equipment was purchased by young sailors!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although vintage tables can represent excellent value, they usually need refurbishment and can be hard to service - a few days ago a good friend asked me to look at his loved Thorens TD160 and one winding of the synchronous motor is open ... We have many recent turntables that will provide a great performance and reliability for those just wanting a non-problematic listening and do not have access to refurbishment / service of old turntables.

But, as always, without knowing your budget and system it is not possible to suggest anything solid.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
In japan? Vintage then! One of my best friends lives outside Osaka. Even the Hardoff stores have cool stuff. Uesugi bros electronics, Diatone speakets plus a decnt late 70s direct drive and youre on the way :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Although vintage tables can represent excellent value, they usually need refurbishment and can be hard to service - a few days ago a good friend asked me to look at his loved Thorens TD160 and one winding of the synchronous motor is open ... We have many recent turntables that will provide a great performance and reliability for those just wanting a non-problematic listening and do not have access to refurbishment / service of old turntables.

But, as always, without knowing your budget and system it is not possible to suggest anything solid.

Sorry but those new tables are even worse. They don't even operate correctly out of the box. The motors can go bad and make horrible noises out of the box. That Thorens is super old and probably went solid for decades.

Reactions: Oldsalt66

Oldsalt66

Mar 12, 2021
In japan? Vintage then! One of my best friends lives outside Osaka. Even the Hardoff stores have cool stuff. Uesugi bros electronics, Diatone speakets plus a decnt late 70s direct drive and youre on the way :)
There is a “Hardoff” store not far from me. Appreciate the tip, unsure why I didn’t think of that :-(

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Be sure to browse the records while there!

Reactions: Oldsalt66

GerryM5

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all, I don’t mean to side track this thread but I just wanted to introduce myself with my new purchase. I’m improving my modest system LRS, Hegel 190, ELAC PP2 and a additional TT. Saturday, FedEx delivered an AMG Giro, 9WTurbo arm, and Turbo cable. I purchased an Hana ML last week and planed. I have about 1800 - 2,000 LPs mainly Classical, Jazz and etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing