BACCH-SP: The future of high-end audio? Yes.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA

Sam Tellig used to tout big ears.

If you hold your hands around your ear, you can hear more clear.

I also ordered one five minutes ago for fun.

After trying it, I will give my impression of it. ;)
how about purchasing the Elf Ears too in order to test the different shape? At any rate, please do post photos!

Reactions: aangen

wil

Jul 22, 2015
No, I am not going to hold something in front of my face either. I was just looking at the Mac Mini version. If my server keeps being an annoyance, I may spring for a BACCH for Mac + and the pre configured M2. Thats $7469. Less than most servers. I believe it says I can run Roon, Qobuz, Spotify on it. Thats all I need.
I set up this BACCH for Cheapskates this afternoon. The barrier is 40x60" and I can slide it back and forth all the way up to my nose. With eyes closed it didn't bother me. However, I don't think I could hear any influence (outside of expectation bias) with or without. The main thing I was listening for was a wider soundstage which I definitely did not hear!

A couple of years ago I tried BACCH for Mac. It certainly did widen the soundstage, but decided not to keep it in my system for various reasons. Definitely worth a try, though.

Attachments

• IMG_7997.jpg
    IMG_7997.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 36

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I found a 2x2 piece of silver foil insulation I stuff into a window. The stuff like micro bubble wrap with silver on 1 side and white on the other. I tried it again last night. At first I tried a solo classical guitar. Nothing. I went back to the Almond Brothers Live and its a notable change.
On the Audiophile Junkie site they are open that not every song benefits. There is a lot to do with how it was produced. There is some music that is highly impacted, other not at all.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
how about purchasing the Elf Ears too in order to test the different shape? At any rate, please do post photos!
71tTIIpnNwL._SL1500_.jpg

I received it 20 minutes ago.

It is not uncomfortable to wear.

But only minor difference.

I seems to hear slightly more details.

5129GWWgb7L._AC_SL1001_.jpg

i will receive another big ear this afternoon.

Just for fun to find out those big ears help one to get better hearing. ;)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: aangen and PYP

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I keep fiddling wirh my sheet of insulation. I am more aware now how much more clean, clear and natural the music playback is wirh the crosstalk cancelext. Totally guessing, but it must get out of phase at certain frequency and cancel some energy out. Its louder at mid and high frequency. Detail is way better. In a way that instruments sound much more real. It is a pain to hold something in front of your face. And to a degree, I am aware there is something there. I can hear it. What is being canceled from ceosstalk is also reflecting.
I can see a BACCH being nice. Especially for digital

Reactions: thomask

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
Is this the same thing or maybe a stripped down version. I know that Dutch & Dutch speakers are going to have the ability to use this plugin built into the speakers.

Low325

May 2, 2021
Is this the same thing or maybe a stripped down version. I know that Dutch & Dutch speakers are going to have the ability to use this plugin built into the speakers.

it does roughly the same thing in demonstrating xtc capabilities but with a minimal set of complementary options or enhancements than bacch4mac and above. fwiw, i’ve recently been playing with a stereo purifier, and the short notes are that, its quite a remarkable experience - listening to music with cross-talk eliminated or minimized. I can understand how this can be polarizing, however.

Last edited:

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Do any of you BACCH owners use electrostats? In particular Martin Logan CLX’s?

Reactions: The Knife

mieswall

Oct 15, 2023
Chile
I understand dr. Choueiri uses a pair of Sanders, and he achieves about 25 db of XTC with them in a rather small listening room (a NYC flat?). In some video I saw his system XTC graph, and it was almost perfect.
I achieve a mere 6-8db with my maggies 1.7i (basically because of side reflections in my room), and even with that poor figure the result is nothing short of spectacular.
Terrific system of yours, btw!

Reactions: The Knife

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
I do. Check my profile signature

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Looks like you use ESL11A, not CLX. Or are they exactly the same?
ESL11 yes. They are not the same. But both are electrostats. I sit ca 2.8m in the sweetspot from both speakers. Where I sit one can debate if larger electrostats ever would be needed.

Reactions: aangen

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Reactions: Audio Addict

wil

Jul 22, 2015
ORC is Most Appreciated on my system!
I’m thinking of trying a demo of the UBacch cross talk cancellation which is from Bacch Labs. It can be used as a plug in on Windows so it can hopefully be used in my Windows server.

uBacch does not use the in-ear measurements that the regular Mac based Bacch softwares uses so is a much more simple interface with my System (which I don’t want to alter). I’ve been told with a symmetric speaker setup, in a room without too much in the way of first reflections, that it can be quite effective.

Last edited:

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Fantastic rig ! Do you perhaps any photos?
/Fellow Adio owner :)

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
ORC is Most Appreciated on my system!
So, ORC is the room correction and dsP the crosstalk correction? Do they generate a file that is utilized by Roon if a user does not have the Adio hardware?

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
So, ORC is the room correction and dsP the crosstalk correction? Do they generate a file that is utilized by Roon if a user does not have the Adio hardware?
ORC is the Room Correction, XTC is the crosstalk correction. It is currently available on Bacch4Mac and will be available around June for the adio. I don't know the definitive answer to you second question but if I had to guess I'd say no, no, no.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing