Ayre QA-9 A-D converter

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just read the review in the new Stereophile of the Ayre QA-9 A-D converter by JA... all I can say is hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... :confused:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Just read the review in the new Stereophile of the Ayre QA-9 A-D converter by JA... all I can say is hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... :confused:

I read it too and was wondering how it would stack up against your mega bucks A/D converters.

Why consumer market company Ayre decided to build a device that is mainly used in professional studio applications (as far as I understand), rather than jump on the music server, network streamer, digital preamp/DAC bandwagon is a little puzzling to me. For example, building a volume control and analog inputs into his QB9 would offer more commercial potential in my estimation.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Other than JA's dry as a bone writing style, what were the specific areas that were confusing?

Just things like he "normalized" the file and other recording techniques. Since he was using the Professional model, the only difference is that it outputs DSD... and he didn't even use it??

And other things that left me scratching my head.....

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I read it too and was wondering how it would stack up against your mega bucks A/D converters.

Why consumer market company Ayre decided to build a device that is mainly used in professional studio applications (as far as I understand), rather than jump on the music server, network streamer, digital preamp/DAC bandwagon is a little puzzling to me. For example, building a volume control and analog inputs into his QB9 would offer more commercial potential in my estimation.

I'm far from being competent, anyway IMHO this product from Ayre has not the purpose to compete with established professional units, but to fulfill the desire of the audio enthusiast to create a digital archive of his own LPs.
A Seta Model L, the QA-9, a USB cable and Pure Vinyl on a Mac: no professional cards, a digital (editable) archive with digital RIAA. Expensive, yes... but it might encourage wealthy audiophiles to create a "backup". :)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Just things like he "normalized" the file and other recording techniques. Since he was using the Professional model, the only difference is that it outputs DSD... and he didn't even use it??

Understood.

Well, as far as DSD, I guess he has no DSD files, and to the best of my knowledge no DSD recorder. He probably asked for the "professional model" because
he probably felt the "standard" model was beneath him lol.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

Will the pro model output PCM via XLR to record digital in with the Tascam DA3000 ? I know it will output dsd via USB, but I am assuming that the dsd conversion cannot be recorded with the DA3000 since you cannot record via USB inputs on the Tascam ?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Will the pro model output PCM via XLR to record digital in with the Tascam DA3000 ? I know it will output dsd via USB, but I am assuming that the dsd conversion cannot be recorded with the DA3000 since you cannot record via USB inputs on the Tascam ?

DSD output is via the SDIF-3 outputs, so just use the BNC connectors on the Tascam.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
DSD output is via the SDIF-3 outputs, so just use the BNC connectors on the Tascam.

Just so I am clear, with the pro model I can run both PCM via XLR and DSD via SDIF-3 and record either one via DA-3000 ? How many cables needed for the DSD hookup ? ie: one for each channel plus the clock for a total of 3 or is the clock connection not needed for what I am trying to do ? Are they standard BNC connectors on the cables ?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Just so I am clear, with the pro model I can run both PCM via XLR and DSD via SDIF-3 and record either one via DA-3000 ? How many cables needed for the DSD hookup ? ie: one for each channel plus the clock for a total of 3 or is the clock connection not needed for what I am trying to do ? Are they standard BNC connectors on the cables ?

yes, 3 Standard 75ohm BNC cables. L/R/clock.

and PCM on XLR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing