Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
DEEPStudio, Welcome to WBF!

BobVin asked you (Post #109 in case you missed it) where have you recently heard the Alsyvox speakers that you refer to which were blown away by the Clarysis Minuets? You did not reply back as of yet to Bob's question. Are you going to tell us where you recently listened to the Alsyvox?

I am asking as for your first post here that is a pretty strong statement. Can you elaborate in what areas the Minuet blows away the Alsyvox speakers?

Thx and look forward to your reply.

Bob
Mmm... I think Deep Studio has gone deep underground...
Definitely would like to hear or learn his point of view on the Clarisys vs A-vox ribbons.

As far as I know, I can certainly confirm the Avox are made and designed in such a way, there are no compromises at this level. Heck! If I were to spend over 100grand just for the second model in line, Botichelli-X, which actually costs 250grand $AUD, it better behave! When I actually saw the Botichelli version 1 in person, I was floored! Like I've said before, these panels are a real work of art, simply exquisite!

Looking closely at the Clarisys panels, they've certainly gone through great lengths in order to achieve total rigidness and sheer weight. Plus those extra heavy duty plinths look tops! I'm thinking this would further add to the solid grounding of the panels, with very minimal or zero sway. This will definitely reinforce LF heft.

Anyway, some day I'll get to hear these, I hope!
Until then, enjoy those very fine tunes!
Cheers, RJ

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’ll be making comments room
By room and I did like most rooms.
Of course there were some exceptions on being a wow.

Reactions: Willgolf

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
KMD ENGINEERING ROOM 728
hard to under stand the room reps.
very kind though.
the system is one receiver that feeds 4 speakers per side. The speakers each have there own internal cross over
Daisy channels 4 per side parallel
the supplied receiver has several inputs
optical , coax , analog
his source was two kinds.
1 is a laptop optical out to an input of the rec
And at the same time hdmi to the tv.
it was playing a dvd I think. So while the audio is played the tv showed the event
The lip sink was a bit off.
however the sound made me have to go inside as from the hall it was very lively and seemed good.
inside it was pretty good had good speed and dynamics
Clear and seemed to make me feel I was at the event.
I asked him if he had any analog he said he had a cd of an analog recording on the cd.
I know what the hall but it did get better by playing the cd player coax to his receiver
it’s sound over all was good and really challenged my thoughts on great rooms. Has anyone there had any thoughts on this room im curious . It’s not ultra Hifi but was pretty good.
I asked him has goldmund taken him to court lol. He did not get my point.
he said no DSP. I have no
Idea of what he said is true.
IMG_1291.jpeg

caesar

May 30, 2010
I still enjoy my MBL 101's too, they are now set up on the long wall with about 5 meter to the side walls on each side, they have a foot tapping immediacy, currently without subwoofer towers. :)
Hi Lagonda,
I like MBLs on the long wall. Gives a huge stage and enhances the 3-dimensionality, playing to the speakers virtues. How's the sound different to you without the subwoofer towers?

caesar

May 30, 2010
What a great show! I've finally decided to make an account here on WBF. I've been attending shows for around 10 years and it's incredible to see how these companies have evolved over the years.

My favorite rooms of the show:
The new Magico S3, much smaller in size than I was expecting, is absolutely stunning and worked SO WELL in that room. Mind absolutely blown.
I always enjoy visiting the MBL rooms. A very unique speaker that always impresses.
The Acora Acoustics flagship seems ridiculously overpriced... I was a fan of their speakers when they first entered the market, and they don't sound horrible, but that speaker is ridiculously overpriced for what you get.
Unfortunately, the Estelon Extreme left me with the same impression... the bass seemed bloated and there was a horrible separation between the tweeter/midrange and the low frequency woofers. Not impressed in the slightest.
I went to visit the Shunyata room and was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the new version of the Clarisys Minuet panels in that room... just as good as, if not better, than they sounded at the Florida show in February. They blow the Alsyvox speakers away... Clarisys has one of the best sounding speakers in the market right now.

That's what I have for now. I may post up some more notes soon.

Clarisys did sound great. In both rooms. Definitely one of the best sounds in an overall very poor sounding show (at least compared to the sound that I get at home and that my friends get).

But blowing away alsyvox, I am not so sure. Need many more data points. Everytime I have heard the alsyvox, cannot escape the huge wall of sound. so not really an apple to apple comparison

Reactions: Alrainbow

caesar

May 30, 2010
No comments regarding Acora speakers / VAC or Magico / CAT ??
Those appear to be promising to me ;)

Magico and CAT was a winning combination in both rooms. I am severely allergic to box speakers, as vast majority sound extremely analytical to me (sorry mother fukkers - that's how they sound to me!) , but the new S3 with CAT was the one of least hifi sounding box speakers I have ever heard.

For example, wilson rooms had a hoard of industry guys and "setup experts", but they sounded like "here's the bass, here's your tweeter, here's your midrange"... and dealer showroooms sound similar - amazing so many guys like that stuff...

Very smart of Wolf to show with CAT; if he showed with some solid state like CH Precision or Soulution, it would have gotten panned.

With that said, and as good as Magico sounded in audiophile terms, all one needed to do is walk into a room with a horn speaker , like Cessaro or Avantgarde, to realize how dead audiophile darling box speakers sound and how ALIVE the horns sound. :)

Reactions: sbnx

caesar

May 30, 2010
Borreson released a new speaker called the M7, costing over $250K. Peculiarly, the Borreson naming designation of their reference line is similar to magico's ... I wonder why.... Any one like the Borresons? and has the Raidho experience tarnished those guys?

regardless, the expensive Borreson sounded like a super version of active speakers guys like Kalman R. of stereophile would review... the definitely need some real, lifelike tone!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Another huge surprise how un-analytical wilson benesch speakers sounded - thanks to Aries Cerat!!!

Bur too bad Aries Cerat didn't bring their horns to the show

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I think we each hear things based on auditory memory. So as I was a few folk it became obvious to me we each have our own opinions.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think we each hear things based on auditory memory. So as I was a few folk it became obvious to me we each have our own opinions.
Amen. Yes, that’s the nature of subjectivity. Unfortunately most people don’t understand the nature of subjectivity from a deep psychological perspective and many so called experts abuse it for their purposes

Calvinj

Aug 1, 2022
We had a great time at the show meeting everyone. We look forward to getting together at other shows. We actually had people that were specifically coming to hear our gear.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Clarisys did sound great. In both rooms. Definitely one of the best sounds in an overall very poor sounding show (at least compared to the sound that I get at home and that my friends get).

But blowing away alsyvox, I am not so sure. Need many more data points. Everytime I have heard the alsyvox, cannot escape the huge wall of sound. so not really an apple to apple comparison
This DeepStudio post was his ONE AND ONLY post on WBF. We asked a few times where he has heard Alsyvox, no answer. I did not hear the Clarysis but heard that they sounded great and quite an accomplishment for them in the small rooms that are available at Axpona. I always loved Apogees and I am sure that I would enjoy the Clarysis speakers.

For those interested in hearing Alsyvox, visit us at Munich with Taiko Extreme>Lampizator>Pilium>Alsyvox. We look forward to a great upcoming Munich exhibition.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
It really is amazing the way we all interpret things. I was at the show and read some of the show reports and its 50/50 that I will align with bloggers or print reviewers on what I heard.

On the Clarysis- I felt the room was far too small to interpret anything. They did have an amazing bass energy and were big sounding. Unfortunately, the image position and the sound stage was homogenized mainly- I believe because of the positioning.

I think in a proper environment would give them a better showing.

Too many rooms to list but some impressions:

The Magicos with CAT was a nice try but no cigar for me- but it was a smart move to try and tame the Magicos.

However, the best Magico system was the MSB room with the mid of the line MSB stack ( still probably 50K$) It was excellent. In fact, although it is impossible to discern a DAC in a system under these conditions- consistently MSB was sounding good in every room that it was in with the conductor. I am not a big digital proponent.

The best two at the show- all out assault- Vivid Giyas and AudioNet by GTT - phenomenal. Air , dimension, space , slam , articulate.

Runner up -mid budget - Rockport Atria's with Vinnie Rossi integrated (38k$!) holy smokes, why am I complicating my life. The Atria's were in with Paul Jayson(great guy and legend) of Viola- but just did not gel like the Vinnie Rossi room.

Big disappointments- Karan-Vinberg: too hifi

-VTL- Steinham: washed out, rolling bass, one plane of sound

- Acora- not my cup of tea and anything VAC just did not cut it at this show ( and I love Kevin Hayes). The sound was polite in my opinion and more suited to classical in the room. At 220K for the Acora's I would approach a manufacturer with some real engineering chops that has been around for awhile instead of this brand.

Jeff Joseph and Doshi was a blast- energentic , clean - fun
Vandersteen and ARC was very, very good, but just couldn't cut it compared to the Vivid room or even the small Rockports.

Some of the other mega systems were ok , promising but - all had problems - lets say it was the room, the power, the setup. Avantagarde, Goebel, Estalon, etc, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Big surprise on a budget. The all Prana room with vinyl ( Kuzma) - wow what fun . I could live with it.

Great show- but as we come to expect, difficult to get the best out of these systems under these conditions. The shows pave the way for further investigation.

-

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Hi Lagonda,
I like MBLs on the long wall. Gives a huge stage and enhances the 3-dimensionality, playing to the speakers virtues. How's the sound different to you without the subwoofer towers?
Not as extended and layered in the bass as they are with sub- woofer towers, the down-firing 12 inch just can't compete with 16 twelve inch drivers. Compared to the Martin Logan Statements, the 101's are leaner with a somewhat smaller and lower images. The MBL's have a more extended treble, i just love that little carbon petal omni tweeter, it is smooth but still has that metal bite when the instruments call for it, electrostatic speakers are a little lacking in that department. The Statements fill up the room with visceral holographic body's on the right recordings, and have a general tendency to make even shitty recordings enjoyable partly because the mid-bass is so fleshed out and energetic. The MBL's prefer really good recordings, and will often make bad ones sound unlistenable. I will add my second set of sub-towers to the MBL's, i am waiting for a friend to help with the heavy lifting, they are currently locate in the part of the listening room where the Statements subside, on a somewhat lower floor plan .o_O

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
Not as extended and layered in the bass as they are with sub- woofer towers, the down-firing 12 inch just can't compete with 16 twelve inch drivers. Compared to the Martin Logan Statements, the 101's are leaner with a somewhat smaller and lower images. The MBL's have a more extended treble, i just love that little carbon petal omni tweeter, it is smooth but still has that metal bite when the instruments call for it, electrostatic speakers are a little lacking in that department. The Statements fill up the room with visceral holographic body's on the right recordings, and have a general tendency to make even shitty recordings enjoyable partly because the mid-bass is so fleshed out and energetic. The MBL's prefer really good recordings, and will often make bad ones sound unlistenable. :) I will add my second set of sub-towers to the MBL's, i am waiting for a friend to help with the heavy lifting, the are currently locate in the part of the listening room where the Statements subside, on a somewhat lower floor plan .o_O

Wonderful to hear about your experiences! In my system, 101s bi amped with symponic line and CAT preamp, and in a good room that controls the bass, I find lesser recordings enjoyable for the exact reasons you mention - I would not be in this hobby if I didn't listen to the music I enjoy instead of the audiophile approved dreck. Definitely agree on the image size - they want people upgrading to the extremes! But that's a small nit pick, they put me in the state of flow every time!

Can you please remind me how you integrate the bass towers to the 101s

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Wonderful to hear about your experiences! In my system, 101s bi amped with symponic line and CAT preamp, and in a good room that controls the bass, I find lesser recordings enjoyable for the exact reasons you mention - I would not be in this hobby if I didn't listen to the music I enjoy instead of the audiophile approved dreck. Definitely agree on the image size - they want people upgrading to the extremes! But that's a small nit pick, they put me in the state of flow every time!

Can you please remind me how you integrate the bass towers to the 101s
I have had the best result with a active crossover on the sub-woofer towers, disconnecting the internal down-firing 12 inch, feeding the treble/midrange/mid bass section a direct fullrange signal from the preamp, the passive crossover in the MBL cut bass around 105 HZ. The later model Statement crossover is more transparent than early generation where, and crosses over bass at 55 HZ , it also has analog room adjustments options. I will try it with the MBL's also. The early model crossover was not good enough, i preferred the unfiltered set- up.

Reactions: caesar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing