Autoformer volume control in an active tube preamp?

tommylion

Feb 14, 2022
Does anyone make something like this? Has anyone successfully replaced the standard volume control in an active tube pre with an autoformer, like the Elma 47 position from Dave Slagle/Intact Audio?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yes I have it in my Tobian SC12 DHT preamp...I had pictures of it somewhere - if I find them will post...
But I believe he makes them in house...

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
Does anyone make something like this? Has anyone successfully replaced the standard volume control in an active tube pre with an autoformer, like the Elma 47 position from Dave Slagle/Intact Audio?

I have an Emotive audio Epifinia preamplifier that has the option to route the signal to a Slagle TVC.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Fred Volz told me, maybe 10 years ago, the best sounding preamp he ever made had the Epifania circuitry with Slagle autoformers on the output. @Glide3 maybe that was yours? My custom Epifania predates that one.

I also have a standalone Slagle AVC box and I have compared it to the Epifania many times. My Epifania has a number of mods one of which was to replace Fred’s stepped attenuators with an Alps Black Beauty pot. For a long time after getting the Slagle AVC, I felt the Epifania and AVC were very similar but the AVC was slightly better. However, after changing the output caps in the Epifania, the two are still very similar but I now prefer the Epifania.

I realize that doesn’t address the question posed by @tommylion about using an autoformer after the tube circuitry, similar to what Fred Volz described and Thomas Mayer uses on most of his preamps. My Epifania doesn’t have enough space inside for the 47-step AVC or else I would have tried it. I did try hooking up the outboard AVC box to the output of the Epifania, and that was a mixed bag. It was too long ago for me to recall the details but I do remember sound quality took a step backwards compared to using either one alone. That doesn’t mean much since the Black Beauty was still in the circuit and I had another interconnect in the chain as well. The AVC on the output does have the advantage of reducing any inherent noise level of the tube circuitry in the linestage.

I do have one other comment that may be relevant. Most tube lineages have too much gain in my opinion. The Epifania is on the low side(12 or 15 db as I recall) but even it has much more than I want given my other equipment and high-efficiency speakers. A pot on the input lets me reduce the volume enough for my high-output DAC. A stepped control, whether an AVC or stepped resistor control, doesn’t have the same flexibility at the low end of its range.

sjs

AVC and TVC tend to work best when driven with a low impedance source, hence the layout used by Thomas Mayer where the AVC follows the step down output transformer is a very good solution, and helps to reduce any valve noise as pointed out by @Salectric.
I have both Slagle and Tribute AVCs and find they work best when used in this way.
I have tried them on the input of a tube line stage, but due to the non zero output impedance of my phono stage it is not my preferred approach.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing