Audio Research just announced a new Ref 6 pre-amp

taters

Jun 6, 2012
It seems like ARC is continuously announcing new models. First it's the special edition and when that slows down a new model. I get the Impression that most of their business evolves around factory upgrades and then they introduce a new model. I know other companies come out with new product also but it doesn't seem like the rate is as fast as ARC.

The REF5 was introduced in 2009, the SE version introduced in 2011. So late 2015 they introduce a new model... very consistent for ARC with product cycles around 4 years (and fairly typical throughout the industry.)

The REF5SE is among my favorite preamps, I can't wait till I hear this one :cool:

The ARC 40th Anniv preamp and Ref 10 preamp are similar to two Ref 5se put together.

Will there be a Ref 11 which is similar to two Ref 6 put together, with 12 6H30 in the main unit? ;)

It seems like ARC is continuously announcing new models. First it's the special edition and when that slows down a new model. I get the Impression that most of their business evolves around factory upgrades and then they introduce a new model. I know other companies come out with new product also but it doesn't seem like the rate is as fast as ARC.

While there are other companies that follow this business model, I believe ARC is the most egregious and should be mostly ignored once you have a great component. I will not be changing any of mine anytime soon unless I am absolutely convinced it would be worthwhile.

While there are other companies that follow this business model, I believe ARC is the most egregious and should be mostly ignored once you have a great component. I will not be changing any of mine anytime soon unless I am absolutely convinced it would be worthwhile.

Well, to be honest, I won't change any component unless I am convinced it worthwhile. Even if, sadly, my current component were only a year old and the mfg announced a new product that I heard to be a significant improvement. If the results are there, my consideration will be too. But as mentioned, ARC tends (!) to have 4 yr product cycles, though there has been the SE upgrades of late related to the KT150 tube. Worth it ? — depends on your budget and priorities, as always. I might wait for a new full model number increase vs an interim step up. There is always a place to spend more in this crazy hobby.

The ARC 40th Anniv preamp and Ref 10 preamp are similar to two Ref 5se put together.

Will there be a Ref 11 which is similar to two Ref 6 put together, with 12 6H30 in the main unit? ;)

Sorry the 40th Anniv preamp and Ref 10 preamp are very different from two Ref 5se put together! Although they are dual mono and share some topological aspects, as soon as the first one uses parallel sections of the triodes in the circuit it becomes a different sounding preamplifier. Perhaps the REF6 will be a small evolution towards the REF10 circuit?

BTW, the champion of parallel triodes was the conrad johnson ART preamplifier, that had 10 triodes in parallel per channel!

My Audio Reference Reference Anniversary preamplifier loves your words!

Have you compare your ARC 40th Anniversary to Ref 10? If so, what are the differences?

I never brought a REF10 in my system, so I can not speak about sound. Considering hardware, the power supply and switching/signal boards are the same, they have different output capacitors and wiring . The REF10 has a completely new display and control board. The REF40 large capacitors must be really heavy, as the REF40 audio chassis is 2.5 Kg heavier than that of the REF10!

ARC seem to be working on a timetable similar to Porsche - the new 991 in 2011 and a newer one in 2016. I will proceed cautiously regarding the Ref 6 since I am very satisfied with my Ref 5se which took over 400 hours to stop driving me crazy. Before that I had a sweet Ref 5, bought used, replaced it with a new SE, which required break in. Thus I am in no hurry to go through that again with a new Ref 6, only to have to cope with the Ref 6se a little later. Besides, I prefer the clean, tech look of my Ref 5se. But who knows? Never say never when upgrade fever strikes.

ARC seem to be working on a timetable similar to Porsche - the new 991 in 2011 and a newer one in 2016. I will proceed cautiously regarding the Ref 6 since I am very satisfied with my Ref 5se which took over 400 hours to stop driving me crazy. Before that I had a sweet Ref 5, bought used, replaced it with a new SE, which required break in. Thus I am in no hurry to go through that again with a new Ref 6, only to have to cope with the Ref 6se a little later. Besides, I prefer the clean, tech look of my Ref 5se. But who knows? Never say never when upgrade fever strikes.

I am only at 270 hours on my new Ref 5 SE. I look forward to it settling in. It didn't sound decent until 200 hours were logged on it. I was told 600 hours is when the capacitors are fully burned in? The demo unit I used for a day before buying mine had over 1000 hours on it, and it definitely sounded 3 dimensional and with the familiar sweet midrange.

I am only at 270 hours on my new Ref 5 SE. I look forward to it settling in. It didn't sound decent until 200 hours were logged on it. I was told 600 hours is when the capacitors are fully burned in? The demo unit I used for a day before buying mine had over 1000 hours on it, and it definitely sounded 3 dimensional and with the familiar sweet midrange.

My main complaint against the unbroken-in Ref 5se was inconsistency but now it sounds great and is a pleasure to use. I also appreciate the metal remote, so much more pleasant to use than the plastic one that came with the Ref 5. So patience will pay off, 600 hours will soon tick off and you will be listening to one of the world's great pre-amps. BTW I find that it really blooms in the second hour of listening.

Any know if you can upgrade the 5se to the 6? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing