Audio Note 211 Moly Plate tube = AN-4242E

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Anyone here own, tried or heard the Audio Note 211 molybdenum plate tube named AN-4242E, made by Psvane? Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyone here own, tried or heard the Audio Note 211 molybdenum plate tube named AN-4242E, made by Psvane? Thanks in advance!

Why are you looking at tubes, what happened to spectral?

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Why are you looking at tubes, what happened to spectral?
I have several amps/systems, and you’ll remember in contrast to some audiophiles, I don’t have “principles” apart from sound quality, as a matter of fact, despite my curiosity about technicalities, as long as it sounds great, I couldn’t care less if a hamster were turning its wheel under the hood, and I have no intention of parting with any right now. The 211s would go into a system I set up for my dad (the one with dual triple OB subs I seem to remember I told you and/or asked about some time earlier) in which I upgraded a Line Magnetic AS-125 integrated with Telefunken ECC83 in the 12AX7 positions and Melz 1578 in the 6SN7 driver position, which I thus far prefer to what GT, GTB, VT-231 and 6F8G I have in my NOS collection. I don’t have any 211s, so the only ones I’ve rolled so far are Shuguang Electron Tubes aluminum base and Psvane HiFi series, but LM owners insist the power tubes tend to make the greatest difference. Hence the question.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
LM owners insist the power tubes tend to make the greatest difference. Hence the question.

yes they do. I don't know the AN 4242 but I did compare the following and this was the result. Psvane 211 < Kr 211 < GE, RCA <<<< Amperex

I understand that United is as good as Amperex, and maybe WE 242c is as well. These are all rare and expensive. For current production, you can try KR and Elrog. I haven't tried Elrog might be good.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
yes they do. I don't know the AN 4242 but I did compare the following and this was the result. Psvane 211 < Kr 211 < GE, RCA <<<< Amperex

I understand that United is as good as Amperex, and maybe WE 242c is as well. These are all rare and expensive. For current production, you can try KR and Elrog. I haven't tried Elrog might be good.
Risky business finding matched NOS pairs, I’m afraid, and I’ve had so-so experiences with Elrog, although I don’t know their molybdenum plate 211, the ER242C, surely the price is prohibitive (not mention disproportionate for the LM, even if it’s a lovely sounding amp). The KR appears to differ from 211 specs, and many report it’s a bit dull sounding, so this may depend on the circuit. What 211 amp did you compare these in?

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014

Most curious about molybdenum plate, which with current production would leave me with Audio Note, Elrog and Linlai.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Risky business finding matched NOS pairs, I’m afraid, and I’ve had so-so experiences with Elrog, although I don’t know their molybdenum plate 211, the ER242C, surely the price is prohibitive (not mention disproportionate for the LM, even if it’s a lovely sounding amp). The KR appears to differ from 211 specs, and many report it’s a bit dull sounding, so this may depend on the circuit. What 211 amp did you compare these in?

This was a 211 made by the same owner as the horns universum I listen to in the UK. These were voiced on the Psvane. The NOS were Justin's who will confirm the NOS compare in his amps too.

The KR was not at all dull compared to Psvane it was lower noise and you could hear more.

I wouldn't spend on GE or RCA even though they were better, only on Amperex. That was magical.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
This was a 211 made by the same owner as the horns universum I listen to in the UK. These were voiced on the Psvane. The NOS were Justin's who will confirm the NOS compare in his amps too.

The KR was not at all dull compared to Psvane it was lower noise and you could hear more.

I wouldn't spend on GE or RCA even though they were better, only on Amperex. That was magical.
Finding a pair of Amperex that’s truly NOS and matched would seem like the quest for the Holy Grail, LOL!

BP4007

Mar 7, 2018
I recently was able to obtain 4 sets (8 tubes) Amperex 211 brass base vacuum tubes. All tested essentially 100-105 % NOS with a plate voltage of 600V. So they all pretty much match. Not that I care that much. I am running Air Tight 211 mono blocks, so I'm not much concerned if they exactly match.
Anyway, I would rate Amperex>RCA>Elrog 242>Elrog 211=Audionote 242>GE. Just my two cents, but I have been swapping these 211 out, with each other, just trying to figure it out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing