Audio New Years resolutions

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Just for fun what are your audio New Years resolutions? Mine in no particular order:
- finish my room treatment
- finish my various turntable plinths
- spend more time listening to music

So to the great and the good - what’s urs?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Lohan, yep, 2020 will be a much bigger year of listening too. I've bought a couple of classical music compendiums to help me traverse this universe, and I'll be raiding Ebay a lot more. There's a whole slew of career retrospective cd boxsets coming out in prog and fusion, so no shortage of physical media to still buy.

On the gear front, not much. I'm finally installing my new Kondo/Cardas/Bocchinos tonearm wire; repair and mods to Eera Tentation cdp and Zu Definitions 4 sub amps; potential high-grade tt speed controller/LT air pump; Bocchinos connectors upgrades to Sablon Elite pwr cords; possible mass loaded Herbies Audio Labs Supersonic Stabilisers or HRS Damping Plates on gear chassis's; possible Thomann De diffusers to room.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We need to try for mutual visits if possible.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Making a dream speaker.

(Sorry Keith, couldn't resist!!)

Seriously, we have big plans... or at least a big plan, for 2020.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Making a dream speaker.

(Sorry Keith, couldn't resist!!)

Seriously, we have big plans... or at least a big plan, for 2020.
Looking forward to reading where you are going with this Duke. All the best with it, am very much subscribed.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Looking forward to reading where you are going with this Duke. All the best with it, am very much subscribed.

Thank you sir! Briefly, it'll be aimed at the "small space, big budget" catetory, to borrow a phrase from Kedar's website. I'll go into some detail over in my forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
No system changes planned. 2019 was a big year, with new Octave HP 700 preamp, which was a game changer for my system. Also, meaningful changes in speaker set up at no expense the last few months, as well as ditching my isolation transformer. I am all set for quite a while, knowing my system's considerable strengths and also its few weaknesses that are inherent in its type. For the most part these could only be solved at great expense with a different system type in a room, and house, that I do not have. And while in the process dealing with other shortcomings.

Buying a few CDs is on the menu, and listening to a lot of CDs that I already have.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can you expand on this.
Gentle Giant 25 cd box set
In The Court Of The Crimson King, Stormwatch, Permanent Waves album retrospective/vault boxsets.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Nothing major. Just a few smaller upgrades at this stage incl:
- Upgrading my power cables
- Upgrading from Stillpoints to CMS CS2.0 feet
- Adding Magico SPods & Furutech NCF Boosters

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
1 Reduce number of hardware sources to one (Antipodes)
2 Reduce number of software sources to two (Roon, Qobuz)
3 Eliminate as many hardware tweaks as possible
4 Finish room treatment (Advanced Acoustics, GIK)
5 Get ears syringed

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
1. Add a completely independent drywall and mineral wool isolation layer in the ceiling - to be carried soon this month, I will start packing and moving this weekend. :mad:
2. Sell the Lamm ML3 and L1.
3. Listen to the Marantz Project T1's in my system. :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  1. See how the faital pro and 18 sound compare to Radian drivers and Tads.
  2. Check ideal implementation of beryllium high frequency driver to dual woofer FLH
  3. Tour DIY Norway, Italy, U.S. West Coast, east coast
  4. Compare servers
  5. Visit Mik a few times :rolleyes:

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Resolution for the year for me is to sell more gear than I buy and also end up happier at the end of it all.

Given that I’ve had a big 12 months on the buying side it should be fairly do-able... I’ve upgraded the Harbeths to 40.2s, bought a pair of Pap horns and then modded them with silver ribbon hookup and complete premium (and now external) xover upgrades.

Also bought two lovely Line Magnetic SET amps... one for the horns and one for the Harbeths o_O:eek::).

I upgraded my front end with a Chord TT2/mscaler combo and a Sotm switch and finally put in an Antipodes CX server which has got me way much closer to end game source (for me).

Then to help power the extra gear I’ve bought a few PCs and digital cables and a Shunyata Triton and Typhon to give me enough outlets along with the existing pair of Shunyata Cyclops.

So for this year my aim is to get back down to just two sets of speakers (so either the lovely Maggie 20.7s, the big happy rosewood Harbys or the fantastic Pap Horns will now need to go... tough call coming up) so I can then head off on my big DIY adventure for this year... the 2020 full range open baffle and horn project and run it with a different SET... either 300B or 211.

Choice is between a pair of open baffle multi 15 inch subs in laminated bamboo frames with pairs of Supravox field coils for open baffle midwoofers in bamboo panels and a coaxial BMS compression driver horn or...

the same pair of multi 15inch OB subs with a 10 inch Cube Audio widebander (either as a tapered quarter wave or as a front loaded horn).

Also tangentially doing some dedicated circuits for all the setups potted up in unused kitty litter with colloidal silver and crushed tourmaline and green carbide silicate in laminated bamboo and copper shielded boxes with proper audio spec circuit breakers and 7awg copper shielded mains cable.... ah yes all the right ingredients for a good old fashioned foo fight... but might just leave that little project on the QT:oops::eek:;).

Most of all I am just going to enjoy discovering more music than ever. That was the trend in 2019 and the thing that will actually make me happier in the end.

2019 has been a year of challenges for some so I really just hope everyone gets good health and happiness and lots of good love and the music and audio in 2020 just the way you want and need it to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: IanG-UK

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I've noticed that the naughty people on this forum on't commit to such resolutions...;););)

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
- Upgrade Phono stage
- Finish installation of maple flooring
- Add area rug
- Ceiling room treatments

Reactions: Bodhi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing