Audio Disruption by Jeff Fritz, a critique

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Jeff has been on a roll, now declaring the CD and preamplifier effectively dead. To wit:

http://ultraaudio.com/index.php/fea...rly-disruptive-nature-of-the-high-end-in-2015

"I basically used as a volume control -- and a fine one, too. For some time now, I’ve used my DAC to do all switching among source components, because all of my sources are digital. So perhaps it finally makes sense to explore the possibility of using a DAC with a good volume control as my “preamp.” Is this why the Exogal Comet and the Auralic Vega are so hot right now? I think so."

We've had DACs and CDPs with volume controls for 15 years- this isn't new or revolutionary. Most have tried both ways and deem a preamplifier sounds better both in harmonics/tonality and soundstage. There are numerous technical advantages as well. Rolling Dacs into preamplifiers in general may be a new trend if it succeeds- it hasn't thus far as audiophiles are too picky and want separates.

"I don’t think you’ve heard the true bass capabilities of Magico’s Q7 until you’ve heard that megaspeaker powered by a Devialet 400."

"Jonathan Valin stated, “But in all my life I’ve never heard Fender bass lines, kickdrums, and toms reproduced by an amplifier with as much lifelike speed, color, power, authority, and effortless ease as they are through the 711.” Wait -- didn’t I write that about the Devialet 400? Pretty close. What gives?"

Worshiping at the alter of negative feedback appears to be the common theme- except unfortunately that pesky midrange discussion. Notice all Class D reviews start with bass and damping factor #s? So did my impression of the Nuforce 9v2 digital amps that I tried back in 2005. What is new or disrupting about this now?

"Where does that leave me? If I were a normal consumer, I’d just buy a Devialet -- it would cost a lot less than what I’d have to invest in the sorts of separate components that typically inhabit my Music Vault listening room."

And miss out on any chance to try a tube or piece of wax in your system. The Devialet 400 is near $18k- most have noted it isn't that great sounding unless mono-blocked- so has many other "traditional" competitors in that arena including Jeff's favorite Ayre gear. Since Jeff quotes JV, let's note RH's review in the current TAS:

"The upper-mids and treble are a bit on the incisive side, a character that can be tamed with the 200’s tone controls or ideal loudspeaker matching. This outstanding performance was catapulted into another realm by running a pair of 200s in mono. The monoblock 200s not only improved upon the best qualities heard in stereo operation, but more significantly, ameliorated my reservations about the treble. Surprisingly, mono operation rendered a more refined presentation by virtue of the greater midrange liquidity and a significantly smoother and more relaxed high end."

Digital amps have always had mid and treble issues, so its nice to see that a pair of 200s gets rid of this. My bigger question instead of bass and damping factor is how decays are treated on strings. Previous digital efforts truncate them and I hope the hybrid nature of the new Devialets gets around this.

"Given Tidal’s early success, and the need to set up some way of getting its streams into your system, is it any wonder that the Auralic Aries is such a hot product?"

Tidal was so successful it had to sell out to Jay-Z recently. Tidal is an iTunes replacement, but records being sold at Urban Outfitters by the thousands is a much more important trend. Millenials want experiences and something to cherish- streaming 1 track off Tidal doesn't get you there. Everything they do is already streamed, rented, or whatever. Records are a unique pleasure. Ask Rega how sales are- its mind blowing.

"It’s a lot to think about. Here in 2015, convention is out the window. No analog preamp. Not owning your music. A sub-$10,000 product setting the standard for sound. Where will it all end? I really don’t know. In fact, like most of us, I’m still trying to figure it out. I hope to have some clarity about my own system by the time Munich’s High End wraps up in May."

I feel like I'm back in 2002 when SACD and passive preamps were all the rage, Wadia's tank 861 replaced preamplifiers (including my own for a brief spell), and Halcro amps were considered to be pallbearer of high end amplification (even by Jeff himself) because they measured distortion in "nits" and blew away JA's test bench. Notice none of these companies are really in business (or popular in the case of Wadia) anymore and vinyl is the largest bearer of good news. Negative feedback has provided exceptional bass at the expense of harmonics to date, but maybe changing. The ability to stream music vs playing it on iTunes is cool, but doesn't expand the audiophile pie. Turntables require phono stages, so I guess the preamplifier isn't going away any time soon. The resurgence of analog is more disruptive as noted at any Urban Outfitters store. Overall, I think Jeff misses the bar on the state of high end audio today.

FTR, I love reading Jeff and my criticism is meant to foster further discussion. What say you, forum? Am I high or nigh? :)

KeithR

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Who knows? Only time will tell.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Keith, nice job, man!

Hew

Mar 21, 2014
We seem to be in the golden age of "disruptive" technology but let's see if time validates these trends in audio. Of course, many will jump ship to the dark side until the general consensus figure out what's missing and the counter trend kicks in. Even so, I suspect that all these new approaches will to some extent prove valid in the long run, with their own adherents, since it's never generally a zero sum game vis-à-vis tube vs solid state or analog vs digital.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think Devialet is blazing a trail but it isn't with the 200, 400 or their brethren. It's the Phantom. I see market usage splitting into two: the wired and the wireless. Casual music lovers have already bought into bluetooth streaming. You guys can't imagine how many spam emails we distributors get a week from manufacturers of bluetooth speakers making sales pitches. So far I've only seen Devialet make a more serious effort than Dynaudio while most other known marks are moving down market in price and tech leveraging brand recall instead of making the effort to produce balls to the wall wireless systems. The Linn system I spied was a disaster but I do hope that that was a fluke.

I think even for the crazies like us. There will always be a place for really good wireless systems. I know that it is on my own wish list for sure. Maybe not as a primary system but for a bedroom or living room, definitely. Even outdoor living spaces! While I do have a bunch of SONOS around the house, they are still wired to integrated amps which are in turn wired up to speakers. You can say the system is semi wireless. When the time comes that the bulk of wireless systems are no longer toys but serious pieces of kit, then..........

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Huh ?!? ""The upper-mids and treble are a bit on the incisive side, a character that can be tamed with the 200’s tone controls or ideal loudspeaker matching."

I think the political correctness is hitting the audio journalism world a bit much. A lot seem afraid to really say something bad.

Jeff, I always enjoy your columns. Love the fact it's not always a equipment review... PS my dealer is bringing a pair of MXR 20's by today, I've loved my MXR's for years now...

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
Actually, I have been doing something like what Jeff Fritz advocates since last September. My emphasis has been multichannel music, which I greatly prefer. My PC is my prepro, using JRiver accessing a very large library on my NAS of ripped Mch SACDs, BD-As, BD-Vs and dowloads. Dirac Live room correction integrates with that on the PC. The PC is (quietly) in the next room connected to my Exasound e28 DAC, whose digital volume control integrates nicely with JRiver. A HD Homerun Prime cable tuner supplies the occasional TV, live or for recording, and it eliminates my cable box. An iPad via WiFi controls everything using JRemote.

So, my existing prepro, player and cable box have all been eliminated from my system. CD, and DVD/BD drives in the PC are still usable, e.g., for Netflix disc rentals. The only components remaining in my listening room are the DAC, TV monitor, amps and speakers.

It is very cool, and it is also about the best sound and video I have ever heard or seen anywhere.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Linn system I spied was a disaster but I do hope that that was a fluke.

Did you listen to the Linn Akubarik Exakt? It's pretty good for a one box system. Actually beats their much higher priced Klimax

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
The preamplifier is a long ways from dead.

It really seems to me though that a lot of people including manufacturers don't really understand what a preamp is supposed to do. So here are its functions:
1) provide any needed gain
2) provide volume control; the volume control being buffered from the output (to prevent the setting of the control from having an effect on the sound other than volume).
3) provide input switching
4) control the interconnect cable between the preamp and amp.

It is that last item that most simply don't understand. Put in a nutshell- if you can hear the effects of your interconnect cable between the amp and preamp (or PVC or whatever) then the unit is not doing its job. Now a source should be able to do this too but so far the only ones I have seen that do that are actually phono cartridges, and for them to do that, they have to operated balanced.

As one who runs an LP mastering operation, its pretty obvious that the LP has a lot of life left in it as well. It might interest audiophiles to know that a properly mastered lacquer is so quiet that it easily rivals CD noise floors and now that QRP (Acoustic Sounds) has updated their pressing machines, the actual noise floor on the finished LP can be at almost the same level. The main use I have had for streaming digital is to let me know what is out there so I can look for the LP.

Most people don't realize that Tidal is high definition BTW. They think its a streaming format for artists to have control. There was a talk show about on my local NPR station recently. I got on there and tried to explain to the 'expert' guests that Tidal is all about fidelity but my comments went 'way over their heads. Until the public sorts out what high fidelity is really all about the LP will likely continue as the most available source of high quality/high definition audio.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Did you listen to the Linn Akubarik Exakt? It's pretty good for a one box system. Actually beats their much higher priced Klimax

Looking at my notes it was indeed a Klimax.

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
I fail to see anything "disruptive". Isolating the load from the source is primary - esp. w/ LP sources.

True - integrateds are better than ever. But for the aficionado, separates are (still) the top choice.

Disruptive could be in loudspeakers, with modified horns ("waveguides" - like Amphion, Aurelia and Emerald Physics). These seem to be up-ending panels and cones as of late - but only to a point. For the high-roller, YG, Raidho and Magico are still best.

But even here, big horns like Cessaro and Avantguarde are strong options, for the ultimate, based on my (limited) exposure to these systems....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing