Art Audio Argento

Adcc

Mar 30, 2021
Edinburgh
Looking at the LV version of this amplifier to drive a pair of ancient klipsch La Scalas. Neither have been purchased so I welcome any and all advice.

10 years ago I had a Jota. Near enough the same thing, a 300B SET. I never had speakers sensitive enough to get decent bass. I'd suggest a trip to Nottingham or Northampton, I forget where they are, and play something with bass. Hindemith's sonata for piano and bass tuba. Or baritone sax. Why not a pair of LV speakers?

photo copy.JPG

I may make the trip. Had La Scalas [high wife acceptance factor] long time ago driven by a Moth 2A3. Glorious sound.

Been through a ton of 45, px25 and 300b. Went through the high powered sets and I’m frankly not satisfied. I like the feeling of being able to walk into the music.
I am looking for detail and proper voicing for my 75 year old ears. I do love your amp. Tell me, is it as detailed as I suspect?

I may make the trip. Had La Scalas [high wife acceptance factor] long time ago driven by a Moth 2A3. Glorious sound.

Been through a ton of 45, px25 and 300b. Went through the high powered sets and I’m frankly not satisfied. I like the feeling of being able to walk into the music.
I am looking for detail and proper voicing for my 75 year old ears. I do love your amp. Tell me, is it as detailed as I suspect?
It's not my amp any more. I used it a couple of years. Its weaknesses outweighed its benefits. I tried one more powerful valve amplifier, but went back to solid state 10 years ago and have no intention of doing valves ever again.

I did try a valve phono stage, on loan, but now have two solid state phono stages in use (RCM Sensor2 Mk2 and Whest Two.2 Discrete).

I understand. Went the opposite way. Solid state was not for me. Guess growing up with tubes is in my dna. Thanks very much for your input. Good looking phono stages btw.

Reactions: ssfas
I understand. Went the opposite way. Solid state was not for me. Guess growing up with tubes is in my dna. Thanks very much for your input. Good looking phono stages btw.
in the photo above I was using Colin Wonfor's little solid state phono stage he made for the Tellurium Q brand before they fell out (after he created all of their products).

I've just ordered a new one! I currently have the Jota as per the picture above. I think it sounds amazing with my Audio Note AN-J speakers and has wonderful bass... the kick drums in live albums sounds very life like and I've never thought it needs more bass.

I will be selling my Jota, but I have someone already lined up. The Jota uses 300B XLS valves so around 18w... similar to the Argento.

Reactions: Adcc
HiRichard

Congratulations! Please let me know how it sounds. You are one lucky guy.

Alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing