Are Plasma TV's A Thing Of The Past

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just curious as to member's feelings about the future of Plasma TV. Is anyone still buying them? Certainly the prices have come down considerably to make them affordable. Is it true that they are big power users?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I recently bought a Pioneer plasma even though Pioneer has stopped making them and it generates some heat. It was simply the best picture I have seen and I have no interest in 3D. I hope they will continue to be available and evolve. California's "green" legislation is a real problem for it, though.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Not very. The heat from this 50" Kuro can be felt from 2' away as you walk by and it throws off more heat than the old Fujitsu that I have at the CT house. Frankly, if it was a non-trivial procedure, I would swap them to cut down my heating costs at the house! I will take a look at the power consumption ratings and update this post.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There is no question that Plasma is on the defensive and in a big way against LCD. I think its days are numbered for mass market displays. However, it will carve a niche in very large displays such as 100 to 150 inches that Panasonic has been producing. The latter costs $500K by the way!

Problem with state of Plasma is that once Pioneer left the market, innovations slowed down. And we have companies like Panasonic shipping Plasma units which degrade in performance after use (black level goes up). So unless there is another Kuro like development, there is little hope for it.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I would think that "glare" is as big of an issue as any. In fact, my wife and I went into a big box store recently and the two questions; where and at what times is the TV being viewed was the first questions from the sales assistant (once we found one and waited 10 minutes).

Plasma screens reflect light like a mirror, LCD's are flat at any angle and big plus for many.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
why did Pioneer discontinue Kuro if it was so successful?
Pioneer is a very small company relative to the others and simply couldn't keep running their business as they did. Display research and development is very costly and they just did not have the volume to make up for that. And they were suffering from other problems, forcing major reorganizations.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Pioneer is a very small company relative to the others and simply couldn't keep running their business as they did. Display research and development is very costly and they just did not have the volume to make up for that. And they were suffering from other problems, forcing major reorganizations.
Yup. I heard the same song a few years back after I bought the Fujitsu.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would think that "glare" is as big of an issue as any. In fact, my wife and I went into a big box store recently and the two questions; where and at what times is the TV being viewed was the first questions from the sales assistant (once we found one and waited 10 minutes).

Plasma screens reflect light like a mirror, LCD's are flat at any angle and big plus for many.

The GLARE issue is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Our old CRT's suffered from the same issue, yet no one ever was ever troubled by it. The LCD crowd made it an issue.

LCD`s may be flat at any angle, but they suffer hugely from image quality once you get past a certain angle (45 degrees perhaps).

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, there was an opportunity for advancement beyond the CRT with LCDs. The LCD polarization meant that reflected light would be sharply reduced. But by putting glossy filters in front of the unit, that principal is defeated.

Also, due to high voltage circuits inside CRTs, they were dust magnets so had reduced glare in practice. That, and the smaller area made the problem less severe than on a glossy 55 inch LCD.

As for viewing angle, IPS units like the ones used by LG are pretty nice. They have poor black levels to be sure, but viewing angle is pretty good.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
And we have companies like Panasonic shipping Plasma units which degrade in performance after use (black level goes up).

Hi Amir,

Are there Panny plasmas which wouldn't do this, perhaps the "business" grade Premiere display:confused:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing