ARC VS115 has arrived

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The REF-3 is also tube rectified by a 5AR4/GZ-34 I believe.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As far as I know no ARC preamplfier except the REF2 used tube rectification. But some of them used triodes and tetrodes in the stabilization of the HV supply.

One great preamplfier that can be bough for a reasonable price is the LS26. Some people claim it is more full bodied that the recent LS27.

The REF1 was also a great preamplifier, but some early units were known to had a hum problem :) .
The REF2 was more romantic and lush sounding, but less dynamic. The REF3 went back to the type of sound of the REF1, but more full bodied and refined that the REF1. All IMH(and biased) O ...

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
micro-I pretty damn sure the REF-3 uses a GZ-34 as a rectifier. It is a rectifier! So even though at the risk of making all of their REF-3 owners mad and telling the world that the the LS27 sounds better than the REF-3, you still think the REF-3 would be the better sounding preamp?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Guys-Thanks for all the kind words on my decision to purchase the VS115. I did jot some notes down on the first night of listening which were all positive, but I want to spend more time with this amp before I make any statements about how it sounds. Not only am I listening to a new amp, I’m listening to a new output tube (the KT-120) which I have never heard before either. I will tell you that I’m happy with my decision so far.

I do know that the Krell KBL preamp is not the right match for this amp and I’m hindering its ultimate performance by using it. The balanced input impedance of the VS115 is very high at 300K. The KBL is not a high gain preamp. With other amps though, I never had to turn the volume knob much past 9:00 to get the volume level I like. Not so with the ARC VS115 running in balanced mode with the KBL. I have to turn the volume up to around 12:00 to get the same level which is highly unusual in my room.

The good news is the amp is dead quiet as I expected it would be. And after the Krell KSA-250 fiasco, that is quite a relief. As soon as Krell repairs the KSA-250 (or tells me it’s just fine) and the new owner pays me, I will start looking around for a tube preamp to mate up with the VS115. I want to do better than the LS-17 that I owned before (and right now wish I had back) though my opinion of it might change drastically when mated to the VS115.

I do think the VS115 is a very cool looking amp. It looks better in life than it does in the pictures. I did buy this amp used on Audiogon, but I couldn’t be happier with the condition of the amp. It looks like new to me. I did call ARC and have them send me the non-conductive bias adjustment tool.

What's this world coming to when a tube amplifier is quieter than a ss amplifier? :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Mep,

My old REF3 is living less than one mile from me and I have helped replacing all its tubes recently 5x 6h30 and one 6550C. Early REF3 were shipped with a 6L6.
But I was wrong in one point - the REF2 used an 5AR4 rectifier. I had if for such a short time I never had to replace its tubes, so I was not aware anymore.

I have no direct experience with the LS27 versus REF3 , can not be of any help there.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
micro-I pretty damn sure the REF-3 uses a GZ-34 as a rectifier. It is a rectifier! So even though at the risk of making all of their REF-3 owners mad and telling the world that the the LS27 sounds better than the REF-3, you still think the REF-3 would be the better sounding preamp?

Isn't ARC's duty to sell new product? Call me skeptical!

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Glad to read that the ARC VS115 has solved your noise issues.

I've been looking for a tube preamp, other than the ARC units here's my short list:

Aesthetix Calypso/Calypso Signature
Modwright LS-36.5
Wavestream Kinetics LSx
TRL Dude

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Isn't ARC's duty to sell new product? Call me skeptical!

Of course it's their duty. However, ARC risked upsetting a bunch of REF-3 owners who have been through the REF-3 update mill and who have all paid really good money only to introduce a new line stage that is cheaper and say it's better in "virtually" every way than the REF-3. You dig?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Glad to read that the ARC VS115 has solved your noise issues.

I've been looking for a tube preamp, other than the ARC units here's my short list:

Aesthetix Calypso/Calypso Signature
Modwright LS-36.5
Wavestream Kinetics LSx
TRL Dude

What about the mini-GAT?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Of course it's their duty. However, ARC risked upsetting a bunch of REF-3 owners who have been through the REF-3 update mill and who have all paid really good money only to introduce a new line stage that is cheaper and say it's better in "virtually" every way than the REF-3. You dig?

No, they get ref 3 owners to go ref 5. Or whatever non ending series of upgrades they release every 3 years.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
No, they get ref 3 owners to go ref 5. Or whatever non ending series of upgrades they release every 3 years.

Yeah, that's true, but it still doesn't expain away the fact they risked making all the REF-3 owners mad.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing