ARC - old versus new power amps

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Hi all,

I run ARC V140 monos, these give a big soundstage, and with proper isolation, a textured bass with a full rich sound. I'm wondering what your opinion of ARC's old versus new is? I have no complaints over decay, imaging etc. but I suspect the newer versions are leaner and brighter. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tim

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
I ran ARC Classic 150 monos for a long stretch. Loved the punchy, super dynamic sound with my Merlin VSM-M back then, particularly after Andy at Vintage Tube Services managed to hook me up with 4 matched quads of NOS Tung Sols! Didn't love the waste heat of 16 output tubes though... Or that when one tube failed it typically took the other three in that quad with it! I'm a more pragmatic 'phile these days- with active ATC loudspeakers and tubes just in the linestage and phonostage.

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 10.03.06 PM.png
The big rig circa 1998. The 120lb CRT TV on the custom cart was wheeled in & out of the gear closet to watch the occasional laser disc back then.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I run ARC V140 monos, these give a big soundstage, and with proper isolation, a textured bass with a full rich sound. I'm wondering what your opinion of ARC's old versus new is? I have no complaints over decay, imaging etc. but I suspect the newer versions are leaner and brighter. Any thoughts?

I have not used the ARC V140 monoblocks, however the VT100 series was definitely leaner and brighter (like a piece of tinfoil in your mouth) than any amp from ARC in, say, the last five years. I had a pair of REF 250s in house a few years back and they were excellent. Imo, ARC came a long way in the 21st Century.

Reactions: Lee

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Used to run a classic 60 into my CLS2’s which was a wonderfully musical combination. Bought VT100 mk3, then the 200 monos and only when moving onto the ref210’s did I feel the sound had gained in quality and presentation. Currently use ref250se’s which are excellent.
I agree therefore, there was a change in direction and sound for a while before attaining current levels.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Based on my own personal experience owning the amps I referred to earlier, I don’t necessarily agree with you but have the found the reference amps I have owned/used and presently own to be a positive increase. To my ears anyway!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have not used the ARC V140 monoblocks, however the VT100 series was definitely leaner and brighter (like a piece of tinfoil in your mouth) than any amp from ARC in, say, the last five years. I had a pair of REF 250s in house a few years back and they were excellent. Imo, ARC came a long way in the 21st Century.
I had a VT-100 amp for a long-time and still use it. Tim's description here is spot on. Much of the brightness was solved on mine with mods about seven years in of ownership. The new Ref 160S amp I have at 110 hours current use is loads better, from bass to mid to highs. The weight and tautness of the bass is especially strong as is the refined quality of the midrange. The midrange is genuinely among the best I have heard.

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Interesting info all. I find the v140 to be the opposite of bright. Listened to a ref 6 (same as I have) with a 75se and Wilson and it was very bright with big punch. I find the v140 to have more texture (potentially harmonic addition) with softer bass. Sounds like the classic series may be different to the 140.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing