REF160M – pair $38,000 / $45,000
REF160S $24,000 / $28,000
REFSOS $16,000 / $18,500
VT8OSE $11,000 / $12,000
I/50 $5,500 / $6,500
I/50 with DAC & Phono $7,200 / $8,500
REF750SEL No change

The average increase is 16.8%

Our new owner continues to invest heavily to grow all aspects of our infrastructure, and we are advertising again in multiple publications. I think everyone understands that we–like other manufacturers–have absorbed large increases in our costs including parts, tubes, production, and overhead in the last four years. Our prices do not reflect those increases, unlike other manufacturers. Our past reluctance to raise prices appropriately was ill-advised because pricing must inevitably increase in order to keep the business healthy.

Since last year we brought back experienced and valuable employees, all of whom wanted to return. We didn't lose anyone except Brandon Lauer in International sales, who survived a serious motorcycle accident in October 2022, and is now the Director of Sales and Marketing for Wadax. It's a good place for him, and he came by earlier this week to visit and catch-up.

The best and worst part of running Audio Research is that we continue to do it the old-fashioned (and best) way. We still build every component by hand. We solder those resistors and capacitors and wires into the circuit boards by hand because it sounds better. We can service most of the products we have ever made because it is the only way to maintain the value of those generations of products. Maintaining an inventory of legacy parts is expensive. We grade every transistor (with a high reject rate) as we burn-in and grade every tube, because it is the only way to assure consistency. After two rounds of testing that sandwich 24-48 hours of burn-in, we listen to every new and every service piece in a reference system because we can still hear things we cannot measure.

The Reference amplifier shown two years ago in Munich was a dream, a design on paper, a shell with tubes. What we will have in Munich this year has tubes, but virtually nothing else in common except the size of that chassis. It is a total rethink, and its performance is off the charts. And yes, we will have less expensive entry-level products before long.

I apologize for the length of this post, but you should know where we are and where we are going. I have been delinquent staying in the loop on WBF because we are busy, in a good way.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I don't doubt your claim that the new guy cares. (Although I think that the Ref 750 SUCKS!! , as it can't drive neither wilsons nor Sinus fibers with Beitzim, instead producing a warm, fuzzy, hi-fi drek sound. Doesn't give me confidence in the new guy's taste. And many dealers carry arc and solid state competitors, and obviously people are choosing solid state as arc went bankrupt.)

Yet I don't think many folks want Arc to fail. Although, in reality, many guys in this hobby could care less - one way or another. Kind of like, how many people care that RCA no longer makes TVs? Or you can't buy toys at Toys R Us?

But other than nostalgia, what is special or unique about Arc?

Take Lamm for example. Vladimir Lamm was a genius whose designs can conjure up humanity out of the most hifi drek, sterile speakers. And when his lower powered amps are mated with proper speakers, it's goosebump and chills inducing realism!

And take CAT as another example, when Wolf was showing off his new S3 speaker at last Axpona, he chose CAT for its natural presentation and "drive anything" design.

I know the CH precision and pillium people were crying like a 4 year old who had to put her bunny away, but the Wolfster wasn't taking any chances with the S3 coming across sterile with those brands in its debut!!!

So can anyone answer what is unique about arc these days? How is ARc different than, say RCA, kodak, or blockbuster?
So … tell us about your system. I see your gear list is empty. Too modest to list it?

inquiring minds want to know … Or maybe not.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much, Dave, for this comprehensive update!

Dave Gordon

Audio Research Staff
I'm thinking discussion of the 320 amp goes back to 2022, so it is not a super hot topic today, but I sense some excitement for it. Positive ARC 'excitement' has been somewhat dimmed with the company going in and out of receivership as well as this notice of a price increase. People are talking about the company besides just here.

I'm wondering if ARC has found a replacement for Ward Fiebiger who was WZJ's right hand man, Senior Design Engineer, and led design work for much of the higher-end linestages and phonostages in this century and before. He passed in 2017. And talent such as his is hard to find and keep. I have not seen innovation in those electronics since his untimely death. Today the Reference 10 linestage and Ref 10 phonostage (owned both for five yrs.) remain their top models -- and they've been there for roughly 10 years. I'm not saying they are past their prime; they are top notch components. But from a marketing perspective and who is talking about what, they had their day in the sun.

Wrt the 'cult' topic, I think it was strongly trus several years back and vestiges of that are still with us. That was when Audio Research and Conrad Johnson -- the silver and the gold -- batled it out for your audiophile soul with Harry Pearson as referee. Later, there was excitement with the Ref 2, 2se, 5, 5se, Ref 40 Anniversary, Ref 10s, and the 3, 3se, and 6, 6se. But for a company no stranger to market churn, it's been awhile -- what have you done for me lately?
The best products from Audio Research came out after Ward's passing. He was involved in the very early design phase of the new Reference amplifier, the 160M, but one was not built. Ward's replacement, Greg Lee (who was experienced with tube technology and had originally applied to ARC eleven years earlier, when there wasn't an opening), along with the engineering department chief (Keith) were responsible for what turned into the groundbreaking 160M, which had the first 4-layer circuit board, new transformers, a new circuit and layout, revised auto-bias circuit, single-ended inputs, ultralinear/pentode switching, and an enormous advance in performance.
What went into the 160M (and the 160S and 80S stereo amps) also led to the SE versions of the Reference 6 and Ref Phono 3 preamps, and even the LS28SE.
The 320M shown in 2022 was a dream, not a reality, merely a shell. The forthcoming 330M is a dramatically different design with significantly more power, and performance that is a major advancement.
New ownership has brought in additional engineering that is deeply experienced in vacuum tube engineering. We have kept (or brought back) everyone else.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The best products from Audio Research came out after Ward's passing. He was involved in the very early design phase of the new Reference amplifier, the 160M, but one was not built. Ward's replacement, Greg Lee (who was experienced with tube technology and had originally applied to ARC eleven years earlier, when there wasn't an opening), along with the engineering department chief (Keith) were responsible for what turned into the groundbreaking 160M, which had the first 4-layer circuit board, new transformers, a new circuit and layout, revised auto-bias circuit, single-ended inputs, ultralinear/pentode switching, and an enormous advance in performance.
What went into the 160M (and the 160S and 80S stereo amps) also led to the SE versions of the Reference 6 and Ref Phono 3 preamps, and even the LS28SE.
The 320M shown in 2022 was a dream, not a reality, merely a shell. The forthcoming 330M is a dramatically different design with significantly more power, and performance that is a major advancement.
New ownership has brought in additional engineering that is deeply experienced in vacuum tube engineering. We have kept (or brought back) everyone else.

Thank you Dave for that update on the 320M and learning there will be a 330M -- much appreciated news. Good to hear from you that the company is able to retain its experienced employees.

My understanding of Ward's involvement had him on the Ref 2 & 5 with SE versions, the Ref 10 & Phono 10, through the Ref 3 & 6 which later received Special Edition treatment. Those last four are current models to my understanding, so I see his touch as "the guardian of Bill Johnson's vision" is still with us 7 years after his passing.

Thanks for stopping by and all the best going forward!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
So can anyone answer what is unique about arc these days? How is ARc different than, say RCA, kodak, or blockbuster?

Don't know if it makes them unique but they survive and remain viable.

Say what you will, they survived the retirement of their founder (few audio comapnies do), they survived being bounced around by owners who saw them solely as an investment (Sonus Faber, McIntosh), they survived a rough financial period and now they return whole unto themselves in-house, and are still making fine audio gear. Imo, throughout it all Dave Gordon and Warren Gehl kept the flame and deserve a ton of credit for their continued viability.

Valerio Cora ARC&ACORA

Industry Expert
Mar 22, 2024
Toronto, Canada
Hello Everyone

First and foremost, thank you to all the ARC and ACORA supporters, it is really great how the audio community has come together and given us support and well wishes. Both companies have received wonderful support from our many fans as well as others manufacturers.

I do not intend for either brand to show exclusively or be married to one another, that is very short-sighted and does not benefit either company. My personal system is and has been ARC for years, but I have and still do use many other brands. For the record, our flagship VRC's have been shown with ARC (CAF , Pacific Audio Fest), VAC (Florida, Axpona, SWAF), D’Agostino (Toronto), and Boulder (The Show). Other models have been shown with multiple other brands as well.

ARC has been shown with many brands over the last year or so including Wilson, Magico, Sonus Farber, Bending Wave, Falcon Acoustics, Rhythm Acoustics, and so on. Many of our pairings are planned well in advance and Acora and ARC will continue to honour our valued partners at all these events. We support our local dealers and the particular pairings that they find are best suited for them: as a huge benefit I get to learn from these combinations and expand my reference points of what is truly end-game.

On the note of R&D and new products for both companies. The future is very bright, all that I will say at this point is that we have many products in development at both companies. Very strong audiophile driven engineering departments have been assembled and new products will flow in due time. New products being released from ARC are not a continuation from previous projects, including the long-awaited amplifier.

Once the flood gates are opened, our new and existing products will remove any doubts, solidifying ARC"s and Acora’s positions as premiere audiophile products in the world.”

Last edited:

Dave Gordon

Audio Research Staff
Tube amplification in a car? Very niche audiophile market :)
There is a car audio tube company, Milbert Amplifiers, made in Maryland since 1986. I heard one in a super high end car system about 30 years ago, with custom Focal drivers. The amp was mounted in the trunk. https://milbert.com/
Around 2014 we were asked to build a tube car amp, but we declined the offer.

Reactions: Lee and Audio 1

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
There is a car audio tube company, Milbert Amplifiers, made in Maryland since 1986. I heard one in a super high end car system about 30 years ago, with custom Focal drivers. The amp was mounted in the trunk. https://milbert.com/
Around 2014 we were asked to build a tube car amp, but we declined the offer.
Good call. I can understand an interest in an aftermarket product for a total custom installation… at least for some. Stretch Limos come to mind, perhaps to shuttle audiophiles between the airport and a national audio show.

Reactions: Dierkx1 and Bobvin

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Val!

Thank you very much for writing here, and for answering questions which have been asked!

It is exciting to learn that ARC is working on new products!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I don't doubt your claim that the new guy cares. (Although I think that the Ref 750 SUCKS!! , as it can't drive neither wilsons nor Sinus fibers with Beitzim, instead producing a warm, fuzzy, hi-fi drek sound. Doesn't give me confidence in the new guy's taste. And many dealers carry arc and solid state competitors, and obviously people are choosing solid state as arc went bankrupt.)

Yet I don't think many folks want Arc to fail. Although, in reality, many guys in this hobby could care less - one way or another. Kind of like, how many people care that RCA no longer makes TVs? Or you can't buy toys at Toys R Us?

But other than nostalgia, what is special or unique about Arc?

Take Lamm for example. Vladimir Lamm was a genius whose designs can conjure up humanity out of the most hifi drek, sterile speakers. And when his lower powered amps are mated with proper speakers, it's goosebump and chills inducing realism!

And take CAT as another example, when Wolf was showing off his new S3 speaker at last Axpona, he chose CAT for its natural presentation and "drive anything" design.

I know the CH precision and pillium people were crying like a 4 year old who had to put her bunny away, but the Wolfster wasn't taking any chances with the S3 coming across sterile with those brands in its debut!!!

Lamm and CAT make excellent gear but are very expensive (Lamm is comparable unless you factor in power output). CAT is often a six figure purchase. Audio Research is more moderate in price but also sounds great.

Last edited:
Reactions: facten and tima

Dierkx1

Jan 14, 2020
So … tell us about your system. I see your gear list is empty. Too modest to list it?

What if his system is modest? There are many incredibly good "modest" products and components that, if well curated, can create sonic magic.

Reactions: Bobvin

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I don’t know how many people misunderstood this.

The relevant power and driver tubes are made in an American owned factory in Russia.

What do you think the West’s current position is on buying things from Russia?

I’ve moved on because the tube supply chain is in a precarious state, and the prospects for this changing are, in my opinion, slim. YMMV
AJ,
I asked and apparently others as, it didn't seem like something you, based on your writings here, would do.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Brad

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I always liked Auidio Research. Tofastdriving has one of the best Wilson based stereo I have heard. He has the Ref 160M amps. I love the way that system plays with them. I far prefer it over the SS power I have heard to Wilsons in other systems. I don't see any way to bash on AR for anything related to performance.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I always liked Auidio Research. Tofastdriving has one of the best Wilson based stereo I have heard. He has the Ref 160M amps. I love the way that system plays with them. I far prefer it over the SS power I have heard to Wilsons in other systems. I don't see any way to bash on AR for anything related to performance.
Why is being honest about the tradeoffs considered bashing? Why not, instead, be honest and transparent and let people make the best possible decision for their circumstances?

Are you buying a pair?

caesar

May 30, 2010

It's definitely not Audio Research, as you might have guessed! :) I am severely allergic to analytical hifi, that is as bleached as an albino bleaching his skin (although valin now claims arc is trying to copy tonal color of CAT) and has the jump factor of a wheel chair basketball player. :) At least when presented with Wilson.

On the other hand, surprisingly, I enjoyed their ref 75 amp with Scaena better than ayon and cj. Too bad for arc that the audiophile tastes run with wilson and not scaena. possibly arc would not be having their issues

caesar

May 30, 2010
One thing I was discussing with my audio buddies is why Acora in the last few shows was presenting with VAC being the competitor to ARC which they own.
As a user or potential customer my thinking process would be - ARC is crap hence they demo with VAC.
And BTW I was a long and happy ARC owner with many of their amps and preamps...

It's actually a smart move. Diversify your risk. Do not put your eggs in one basket!!!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Caesar what is the most consistent thing in high end audio is your ability to want to start crap. I don't know you personally so I don't know if this is on purpose or you are trying to be annoying or that you are just having fun by starting a fire and then watching it burn.
ARC has been a staple and a foundational member of the HE community. People can argue forever about wha they like and what they don't like and that well never change. We cannot however deny their place in the history of HE Audio. I know the rewriting of history has become popular in other areas but here the past is truly the past.
I don't know the future but I think that the future is better with ARC still alive and involved. What you like or don't like personally is fine but the rest you really need to leave out the colorful insults with no or little factual backup.

I agree in this Industry that one may not be able to live in the past but we should not forget the past. We need to know and understand history , not only in audio but in everything.

caesar

May 30, 2010
When I see words like "cult" interjected in a discussion combined with the statement of facts with no actual experience and the marketing majors... I get confused and think I must be on the forums at that other site with "Science" in the name. I came here to avoid that type of "cult".

To point to a few very recent reviews and listings, perhaps missed by the "No Buzz" crowd:
_________________________________________________________________________________
March 15, 2024
Stereophile 2024 Recommended Components
Preamplifiers - Claas A
Audio Research Reference 6SE

March 15, 2024
Stereophile 2024 Recommended Components
Phono Preamplifiers - Class A
Audio Research Reference 3SE Phono

__________________________________________________________________________________
March 15, 2024
The Absolute Sound 2024 Recommended Products Over $10,000:
Audio Research REF 6SE
Audio Research REF 160M MKII

February 22, 2024
The Absolute Sound Review (video):
Audio Research REF160M MKII

__________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for sharing the videos. Does the person in the video compare arc to truly great tube gear like Lamm, CAT, and Jadis? I wouldn't bet on it!!! Let's be clear that the Analytical Sound is a disgusting propaganda arm of the industry. They do not care about the audio fans and spit in their faces. These are the people that are willing to mislead other human beings over a friggin $40 mofile fidelity record!

Don't advise clicking on them unless one is looking for confirmation bias. A rational person should also audition Lamm, CAT, or Jadis before making the final decision.

Furthermore, $45K for these amps now? It's Oligarch Audio!!! According that Analytical Sound reviewer Steven Stone. Yet only an idiot oligarch would pay $45K for amps that can't drive a wilson with authority, or pretty much any other popular box speaker.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing