AQ Jitterbug Measurements

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Ok, after a few more hours of listening, I am ready with my overall impressions. First off, I found the Jitterbug to be the best $50 I have ever spent on my system. It does a superb job. I must say that I pleasantly surprised at the improvements it renders in my system. Of course, how it will effect your system, if at all, will vary from system to system. With my Macbook Air, the improvements are significant. I would say at least a 15% improvement in overall sound quality. My Mac must really be noisy! It does not really change the overall sound of your system. If yours is dark, it will remain so as an example. With the Jitterbug in place, the sound out of my DAC sounds much quieter. The noise floor is significantly lower. Hence, I can hear further into the recording. With live recordings, much more of the hall or venue is audible. You can hear more of the echo of voices for example. The decay of piano notes is more apparent. On Duke's Big 4 off a ripped XRCD, when Duke calls out chord changes, it is much clearer than it was before. I have only been listening to that recording since the early 90's! I addition to being quieter, the overall sound is more focused, tighter. I also find that the sound seems to have better dynamics but that is does not sound brighter at all. More detail, more punch but with no increase in brightness. Drums have a much more natural sound. Cymbals and high hats sound very realistic. The brushes of drums, acoustic bass and guitar sound superb. It is like going up another level of DAC performance for only $50. I know I have read the old cliche of hearing things I have not heard before in a familiar recording, but I found this to be the case with the Jitterbug in my computer based system. For those systems with better implementation of USB than my Mac, it may not be as much of an improvement. I don't really know. All I know is that I am really enjoying what I am hearing with the Jitterbug. I have the Schiit Wyrd which made a slight improvement in the sound of my system. The Jitterbug makes an even bigger improvement.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Ok, after a few more hours of listening, I am ready with my overall impressions. First off, I found the Jitterbug to be the best $50 I have ever spent on my system. It does a superb job. I must say that I pleasantly surprised at the improvements it renders in my system. Of course, how it will effect your system, if at all, will vary from system to system. With my Macbook Air, the improvements are significant. I would say at least a 15% improvement in overall sound quality. My Mac must really be noisy! It does not really change the overall sound of your system. If yours is dark, it will remain so as an example. With the Jitterbug in place, the sound out of my DAC sounds much quieter. The noise floor is significantly lower. Hence, I can hear further into the recording. With live recordings, much more of the hall or venue is audible. You can hear more of the echo of voices for example. The decay of piano notes is more apparent. On Duke's Big 4 off a ripped XRCD, when Duke calls out chord changes, it is much clearer than it was before. I have only been listening to that recording since the early 90's! I addition to being quieter, the overall sound is more focused, tighter. I also find that the sound seems to have better dynamics but that is does not sound brighter at all. More detail, more punch but with no increase in brightness. Drums have a much more natural sound. Cymbals and high hats sound very realistic. The brushes of drums, acoustic bass and guitar sound superb. It is like going up another level of DAC performance for only $50. I know I have read the old cliche of hearing things I have not heard before in a familiar recording, but I found this to be the case with the Jitterbug in my computer based system. For those systems with better implementation of USB than my Mac, it may not be as much of an improvement. I don't really know. All I know is that I am really enjoying what I am hearing with the Jitterbug. I have the Schiit Wyrd which made a slight improvement in the sound of my system. The Jitterbug makes an even bigger improvement.
Thanks Joe. Your impressions are much appreciated. As a matter of fact, I welcome all opinions from folks who used the products mentioned in this thread. Good and bad.

Now be prepared for the attacked from the objective measurements crowd. :)

As you well know, you are a victim of the Placebo effect and your listening skills may suspect..LOL.

Quick question.

Just so, I am clear, are you using the Jitterbug from the MAC to the DAC, or from the Schiit Wyrd to the DAC?

And yes, Mac Books are actually horrendous environments for critical audio applications.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Neither. I am using it in the one unused USB port. I will be getting another one through a contact and will use it in the USB port which feeds the DAC through the Wyrd to see if it improves the sound any further. I am way more of an objectivist than a subjectivist and frankly have not found many tweaks to be of much use. This one actually works, at least in my set up. Probably because of the noise in the Mac set up. It is great to be able to tame it for $50.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Now be prepared for the attacked from the objective measurements crowd. :)
I know that you say that in jest but this is one of our invited writers, i.e. Michael's forum. We moderate these threads heavily and request that everyone be on their best behavior. No attack of any kind will be tolerated.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I know that you say that in jest but this is one of our invited writers, i.e. Michael's forum. We moderate these threads heavily and request that everyone be on their best behavior. No attack of any kind will be tolerated.

There is no attack. Quite frankly, I found the tone of the OP to be trollish.

One thing I see here and other places is folks who claim to be opening a debate but who really want drive an agenda. They have their conclusion and work backwards to make sure it is validated.

This to be honest, is tiresome.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Neither. I am using it in the one unused USB port. I will be getting another one through a contact and will use it in the USB port which feeds the DAC through the Wyrd to see if it improves the sound any further. I am way more of an objectivist than a subjectivist and frankly have not found many tweaks to be of much use. This one actually works, at least in my set up. Probably because of the noise in the Mac set up. It is great to be able to tame it for $50.

No kidding? It is not in the signal path and yet you describe very specific improvements. Very interesting.

Yes, please report on what you hear when you use it in the port feeding the Wyrd. I would also be curious about how it works coming out of the Wyrd's port into the DAC.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There is no attack. Quite frankly, I found the tone of the OP to be trollish.

One thing I see here and other places is folks who claim to be opening a debate but who really want drive an agenda. They have their conclusion and work backwards to make sure it is validated.

This to be honest, is tiresome.
I didn't say there was an attack. Just making sure there won't be.

As to the rest of your comment, again this is NOT the normal part of the forum. Michael is one of our two invited guest writers and he is free to pick topics of his interest to talk about. We have David also who writes about analog and related topics. We ask that members show utmost respect to them for the work they put in to create these threads for us to read. It takes significant amount of work to do this and it is the least we can do in return.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I didn't say there was an attack. Just making sure there won't be.

As to the rest of your comment, again this is NOT the normal part of the forum. Michael is one of our two invited guest writers and he is free to pick topics of his interest to talk about. We have David also who writes about analog and related topics. We ask that members show utmost respect to them for the work they put in to create these threads for us to read. It takes significant amount of work to do this and it is the least we can do in return.

Understood. Totally. Also let it be know that someone who is driving an agenda under the guise of encouraging debate will be called out.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

It's not in the signal path? How does that work?

Tim

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
It's not in the signal path? How does that work?

Tim

The theory is it purifies" the bus, similar to the Shunyata Defender and similar products that are plugged into unused AC receptacles.

But AQ intends it to be used on the port feeding your DAC as a priority. Then an additional one in parallel if you desire..so Joe is kind of doing things in reverse.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Amir,
I happily accept all criticism. In fact, I really enjoy the passion each of us have in common for music. It's what makes us all really the same. I just want anyone interested to know that I am not a moderator. I appreciate how this forum is lightly moderated and hope that continues to be the case.

Andre has an excellent point. I DO have an agenda. My agenda towards reproducing music is very clearly stated in the sticky in this subforum.

Andre,
I invite you to read more in the sticky to better understand my agenda. It took me a long time and a lot of trial and error to develop the approach to music playback I prefer. I think I have much to share with others who care to discuss or whatever. Of course, if my agenda isn't something you agree with, I hope you say so. I want to hear what you think. I don't shout folks down on this forum. I try to directly engage folks where possible.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Amir,
I happily accept all criticism. In fact, I really enjoy the passion each of us have in common for music. It's what makes us all really the same. I just want anyone interested to know that I am not a moderator. I appreciate how this forum is lightly moderated and hope that continues to be the case.

Andre has an excellent point. I DO have an agenda. My agenda towards reproducing music is very clearly stated in the sticky in this subforum.

Andre,
I invite you to read more in the sticky to better understand my agenda. It took me a long time and a lot of trial and error to develop the approach to music playback I prefer. I think I have much to share with others who care to discuss or whatever. Of course, if my agenda isn't something you agree with, I hope you say so. I want to hear what you think. I don't shout folks down on this forum. I try to directly engage folks where possible.

Michael, I appreciate your comments, and the fact you are welcoming open discussions. I don't think any one was criticizing anyone.

I have no issues at all with your agenda regarding your playback set up. That is actually unique to each individual, and is really not anyone's business. Just as my playback preferences are my own, and quite frankly, if some one "disagreed" with me they can jump off a cliff..LOL..:D, because it is my room, my gear, and my music.

But that is not what we are talking about here. We are talking about agendas regarding specific products and computer audio accessories.

Remember, when I noted I heard an improvement with the UpTone REGEN, you lumped me in with the "hysterical" group. Instead of accepting my opinion, you immediately labeled me.

Also remember, I totally AGREE with you that some of the online user reports on some of these products were a bit over the top. However, there are folks who get hysterical about EVERY product category in this hobby. Look at how many new, supposed Second Coming Of Jesus DACs get threads that go on for hundreds of pages, same for cables, same for power cords. Oh god, let's not even go there.

A bit of buzz and hysteria does NOT mean the product is not valid. I have both the Regen and the Wyrd and they both work as advertised. The Jitterbug will be here in days. There are others from Acoustic Revive, SOtM, and more, but there is a limit to my time and money hahah.

Anyway, I really hoped we could have a discussion about what people are hearing, not discounting what credible posters are reporting to Placebo Effects, and talking about measurements.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
The theory is it purifies" the bus, similar to the Shunyata Defender and similar products that are plugged into unused AC receptacles.

But AQ intends it to be used on the port feeding your DAC as a priority. Then an additional one in parallel if you desire..so Joe is kind of doing things in reverse.

I was actually curious to see if this thing would work this way as AQ suggests quite clearly that it would. They actually suggest that you put one into any unused USB port. I believe that in my Mac, the 2 USB ports are on the same bus so that is they way I started. When I can get around to picking up the second one I will report more. Probably after the Cap Audio Fest.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I was actually curious to see if this thing would work this way as AQ suggests quite clearly that it would. They actually suggest that you put one into any unused USB port. I believe that in my Mac, the 2 USB ports are on the same bus so that is they way I started. When I can get around to picking up the second one I will report more. Probably after the Cap Audio Fest.
Im a bit confused. The literature i have seen from AQ clearly states the first place the Jitterbug should be used is between your usb cable and DAC. Then in parallel as a second priority. You seem to be suggesting something different..can you clarify?

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Also need to check the grounding arrangements/isolation of the measurement devices too!

Spot on.

In fact, doing a proper assessment in a quantifiable manner of the whole system is far more complex than most people who ask for measurements think.

Some measurements pertaining to EMI/RFI require an enormously expensive isolation construction (like in building construction) just to make accurate measurements within it.

EMC... it's neither easy, nor easily measured, nor easily dealt with. Every little bit counts in Electromagnetic Compatibility.

There's just no way a manufacturer today can design and market with EM Compatibility with every other existing device.

The whole of the Computer Audiophile field and its issues is the domain of Electrical Engineering.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I have the Regen, and the improvement I got with my Trinity DAC is nothing short of stunning. Much greater than any USB cable I have tried and equal to IC or SP cable change.

And BTW - I do not believe you can easily measure cable differencies either; yet, there is a consensus between audiophiles that cables do matter.

Does the Trinity DAC need to see the 5vdc USB buss power from the source?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Does the Trinity DAC need to see the 5vdc USB buss power from the source?

Yes, just like in the Berkelay Alpha USB converter, the part containing USB input receiver is USB powerd and galvanic isolated.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

I'll admit I don't get that. It purifies the USB bus feeding the DAC without being in the port feeding the DAC? I'd still like to know how that works, though it may be a challenge for me to understand it.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing