Apple's MacBook Air is now faster and $100 cheaper

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Chris Welch, The Verge

Apple has refreshed its MacBook Air lineup today, and the laptops now include Intel's latest Haswell processors. The entry-level model is now slightly faster with a 1.4GHz Core i5 chip instead of the 1.3GHz processor that was shipping yesterday. Those small speed bumps extend to the faster, build-to-order configurations as well. Alongside the processor change, Apple has also dropped the prices on all of its MacBook Airs by $100 each. The base 11-inch model now starts at $899 as a result, with the 13-inch starting at $999.

PRICING AND PROCESSORS ARE THE BIG CHANGES

Pricing and processor aside, don't expect any other significant changes. Nothing else about Apple's acclaimed MacBook Air has changed with this latest revision — at least according to its spec sheet. The base configuration still includes 128GB of storage and 4GB of RAM. It'd be great to see Apple increase that default to 8GB, but for now more memory still demands extra from buyers. The MacBook Air also hasn't gained speedier Thunderbolt 2 connectivity with today's update; that's still reserved for the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro desktop.

But there was little wrong with the MacBook Air released last year, so Apple had little reason to shake up its formula. Intel's Haswell technology combined with OS X's efficient energy management rewarded users with an incredible boost in battery life, stretching the life of each charge to 12 hours on the 13-inch hardware. Since today's upgrades are admittedly slight, you can expect similar longevity from the latest MacBook Airs.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
It makes a great music server too. I use one at home in my 2 channel system and can take all of my music, with the aid of a Lecie hard drive on the road. Use a USB dac and a set of headphones. All very compact. Makes those transatlantic flights so much more enjoyable!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing